The Student Room Group

Boyfriend addicted to alcohol :S Help appreciated x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
As someone who has studied addiction at degree level, and also as someone whose father is and always has been an alcoholic, he will not drink moderately. It will not be fine. If he is an alcoholic, going backing to drinking will not be moderate. You need to lay down his options, you or alcohol.

Do you think alcohol is different to say drugs like weed? Because I know someone who was addicted to that who stopped and takes it now and again now. Although I can't confirm how much they really take as I don't know them that well.
Reply 21
Original post by Sternumator
Of course but what people describe as "alcohol addiction" could mean a lot of things ranging from any kind of regular drinking to full blown physical dependence.

From the Op, it could just be that he went through a period of drinking too much, recognised that and stopped and now wants to start drinking again more moderately.

My point is that it is that it is perfectly possible that this time around he can drink in moderation because it doesn't sound as though this was part of a serious pattern of alcohol abuse given that Op didn't even notice it.

*For many people moderation is a more realistic goal than total abstinence.

I believe he was addicted because he has since told me all he wanted to do when he was out with me was to go home and drink. It was only for about 6 months from what I gather.
Original post by 0to100
Did he drink heavy before or after you dated. You can't get mad at him if you get with him when you've somehow been made aware he is a bad drinker. Leave, or stay and hush.

I personally as I said in my own thread before, would never turn my back on them because I don't want someone to leave me for drinking or whatever else I do >_>

Send him to rehab and support him. Demote him to just friends who you care for.

That being said, spice is one helluva drug man. O___O

It was after. He drank before but wasn't addicted, so I got with him sober and not knowing it would get to this.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think alcohol is different to say drugs like weed? Because I know someone who was addicted to that who stopped and takes it now and again now. Although I can't confirm how much they really take as I don't know them that well.

I think it is different, because weed isn't physically addictive, unlike alcohol.
If he's only going to drink moderate amounts, then let him. Just because he was addicted before (after a traumatic event...) it does not mean it'll happen this time around.

It's very controlling to say "me or alcohol" if the alcohol consumption is going to be very little...
Original post by Inexorably
If he's only going to drink moderate amounts, then let him. Just because he was addicted before (after a traumatic event...) it does not mean it'll happen this time around.

It's very controlling to say "me or alcohol" if the alcohol consumption is going to be very little...

Bur how does the OP or him know it's going to be very little?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Bur how does the OP or him know it's going to be very little?

She doesn't and she'll have to trust him, which is a core part of a relationship.

If she sees it getting out of hand she can put on the brakes any time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending