The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP: Can someone advise me on Medicine without AAA?

Basically I just finished my A levels, and am not expecting AAA. More like ABC tbh... anyway I still want to study Medicine. I know I can get AAA if I have one more year but I know universities don't accept over 2 years of A levels.

Are there any Western European countries that teach the course in English and have low enough grade requirements? Or accept retakes? Most of the ones I found wanted Maths and Physics A levels as well but I only have Bio and Chem, Physics to AS.

What would you best advise? Go abroad or do Biomedical Science here and go through GEM?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rhink
Basically I just finished my A levels, and am not expecting AAA. More like ABC tbh... anyway I still want to study Medicine. I know I can get AAA if I have one more year but I know universities don't accept over 2 years of A levels.

Are there any Western European countries that teach the course in English and have low enough grade requirements? Or accept retakes? Most of the ones I found wanted Maths and Physics A levels as well but I only have Bio and Chem, Physics to AS.

What would you best advise? Go abroad or do Biomedical Science here and go through GEM?

Rep. of Ireland? Although just checking they require 480 points ( the equivalent of A*AA). http://www.nuigalway.ie/admissions/documents/2016undergradmedicineeuapplicants__final_version_amended.pdf

Cyprus (ABB) http://med.unic.ac.cy/education/6-year-md-degree/

Your other option might be Eastern Europe (Bulgaria, Romania, etc).

Personally I'd prefer my medics to have at least AAA :wink:
Reply 2
Could try eastern europe, a lot of schools are teaching in english there to get international students in. However with brexit, you really do need to be aware of potential fee increases/ visa requirements after we do leave the EU.
Reply 3
Apply to medicine as a graduate, that would be your best chance. From experience, getting a first is easier than getting AAA(my personal opinion). If that doesn't work out you can always apply for the graduate entry courses in eastern Europe.good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Also, I have no expertise in medical applications, but I understand GEM is even more competitive than undergrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Also, I have no expertise in medical applications, but I understand GEM is even more competitive than undergrad.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm yeah ive heard that too, if I had the money I'd apply for the standard 5 year entry

Better start saving up now :eek:

Thanks for your help!
Reply 6
Original post by fg45344
Could try eastern europe, a lot of schools are teaching in english there to get international students in. However with brexit, you really do need to be aware of potential fee increases/ visa requirements after we do leave the EU.

Yeah I was looking at Ukraine cos that's the cheapest I've found but it's so far from here and not the most stable country.
And yeah that's what I was worried about, the Brexit and how that would affect me and coming back to the UK after my degree.

Original post by saran23
Apply to medicine as a graduate, that would be your best chance. From experience, getting a first is easier than getting AAA(my personal opinion). If that doesn't work out you can always apply for the graduate entry courses in eastern Europe.good luck :smile:

Okay yeah I think I'll settle for that. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending