The Student Room Group

Sets in Y11

I'm turning Year 11 in September 2016 and I got moved down in Maths & English (I think). Can I still move up and get the top grades for GCSE?
Reply 1
Yes. You don't need to worry as long as you are still doing Higher Tier
Reply 2
Yeah, although I found that it doesn't really matter. I was in bottom set for English despite getting nothing lower than an A in the Year 10 & 11 mocks. Maths, I was set 2, got Bs at the begining of Year 11 and As towards the end. I was glad I was in bottom set for English and set 2 for Maths as both teachers were amazing. I probably wouldn't of got those grades without them. Just work hard.
Reply 3
Who told you,you can't get A/A* if you are not in top sets? Just make sure you are doing higher. ofcourse you don't need to worry about some subjects like re , history is one paper so yes you can still get A* despite being low set.
I'm in the same situation and got moved down for Maths to set 2. In the last mock I got a C (I panicked for some reason) but I have worked hard and think I might get an A/A*? If I do, is there a chance I might move back to top set?
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
I'm turning Year 11 in September 2016 and I got moved down in Maths & English (I think). Can I still move up and get the top grades for GCSE?

You don't need to be in the top sets to do well. I wasn't in the top sets for GCSE English or maths, yet I got A*s in both. I know people who were in the top sets and didn't get top grades too.
Reply 6
Original post by dannie.12
I'm in the same situation and got moved down for Maths to set 2. In the last mock I got a C (I panicked for some reason) but I have worked hard and think I might get an A/A*? If I do, is there a chance I might move back to top set?

Again, as long as you still sit the higher tier paper and work hard there is no reason why you shouldn't get an A/A* (Although I thought the new GCSE was graded 1-9??)
Original post by umar39
Again, as long as you still sit the higher tier paper and work hard there is no reason why you shouldn't get an A/A* (Although I thought the new GCSE was graded 1-9??)

Yeah my school entered us a year earlier (this year)so that we didn't have to do the harder one next year.
Reply 8
Sets really don't mean anything. As long as you're doing the higher tier, you can get any grade you want.

Quick Reply

Latest