The Student Room Group

chemistry A level, or, no?

hey guys!i just sat my gcses this may/june.
in a nutshell, i don't really like math. but i worked hard and practiced a lot and am expecting either an A or an A* in it. I am pretty fair at chemistry, however, i absolutely hate moles and chemical calculations. i am mostly
taking biology, mathematics, economics and chemistry/psychology. i haven't decided yet, but i wanted to keep my options open for either medicine or epidemiology at oxbridge. having said all this, i want to know if chemistry As and A level (in edexcel) are mainly calculation based or conceptually and data based. if i must take it, how do i potentially prepare?is chemistry manageable and will i be able to manage it?
many thanks for taking out your time!
if you want to do medicine you have to do chemistry most course if not all require it and the moles will become easy with a little practice dont worry
sorry btw I dont do edexcel I do aqa but content should be similiar
chemistry a s and a2 is a mix of calculation and theory so its not purely one or the other
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
also to prepare for chemistry just make sure you understand the gcse concept and as you do a s levwl make sure you understand thoae topics unserstanding is really important and I think youll be able to gandle it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry is a lot of moles and calculations and reaction pathways and boring stuff - there is a little bit of content you need to learn but it's mainly concepts and calculations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry is compulsory for Medicine
Reply 5
Original post by 2000rules
hey guys!i just sat my gcses this may/june.
in a nutshell, i don't really like math. but i worked hard and practiced a lot and am expecting either an A or an A* in it. I am pretty fair at chemistry, however, i absolutely hate moles and chemical calculations. i am mostly
taking biology, mathematics, economics and chemistry/psychology. i haven't decided yet, but i wanted to keep my options open for either medicine or epidemiology at oxbridge. having said all this, i want to know if chemistry As and A level (in edexcel) are mainly calculation based or conceptually and data based. if i must take it, how do i potentially prepare?is chemistry manageable and will i be able to manage it?
many thanks for taking out your time!

You will definitely need chemistry for medicine. I did Edexcel chemistry A level and I think they are fine. There are a lot of calculation Qs in Edexcel. Yes chemistry is manageable. For calculation, you need to do a lot of practice on that ( I've used calculation for AS/A2 chemistry by Jim Clark) and ask your teacher for help. Also, do a lot of revision before exams and practice a lot of past papers (for my A2 I did at least 40 past papers). Use websites like chemrevise, maths and physics tutor and chemguides, they are very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest