The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunnyshine123
Hi, I have a score of 24/27 and I'm wondering whether I stand a chance of getting an interview at Cardiff, I really liked it on the open day and I really want to go!! Do you think I'll be rejected straight away? or have a chance at an interview?

Hello there,

I honestly cannot say, hopefully you should find out soon, but with the new MMI interviews and the cohort effect its impossible to know currently what is and is not competitive enough.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hello there,

I honestly cannot say, hopefully you should find out soon, but with the new MMI interviews and the cohort effect its impossible to know currently what is and is not competitive enough.

Okay, thank you for replying! hopefully it works out in my favour, I would love to go to Cardiff!
Did anyone here get an A in AQA AS Chemistry (new spec)
Hi,

Is the course at Cardiff Integrated, PBL or traditional ? If integrated is that a mixture of PBL and traditional ? In some universities integrated just means it is traditional but with early clinical experience.

Thanks
Original post by Mande1724
Did anyone here get an A in AQA AS Chemistry (new spec)

Here!
Original post by BadLashes
Hi,

Is the course at Cardiff Integrated, PBL or traditional ? If integrated is that a mixture of PBL and traditional ? In some universities integrated just means it is traditional but with early clinical experience.

Thanks

Cardiffs course is CBL, this is known as guided enquiry of learning.

As a brief description integrated means integration of clinical practice and science, this often comes in the way of early clinical contact, hence a course can be PBL and integrated or traditional and integrated.

Cardiff is a CBL integrated medical course which places a lot of emphasis around early patient contact and a spiral curriculum. To put this into a bit more context we use cases every 2 weeks to learn. For example a case could be about cardiovascular disease, for that case we would spend two weeks devising learning outcomes and answering them (3 3 hour sessions over the two weeks, monday, monday and friday) over the course of the week, each CBL session is in groups of 8-12 with a facilitator to guide your learning. We then have placement once a week and lectures, classes, tutorials and labs to consolidate our learning. this is for the first two years.

in later years you become more clinical based. often everything you cover in each case will be revisited at a later date, this is the great thing about the spiral curiculum as it allows you to add on more information whilst revising.

Hope this helps.
Cardiffs course is CBL, this is known as guided enquiry of learning.

As a brief description integrated means integration of clinical practice and science, this often comes in the way of early clinical contact, hence a course can be PBL and integrated or traditional and integrated.

Cardiff is a CBL integrated medical course which places a lot of emphasis around early patient contact and a spiral curriculum. To put this into a bit more context we use cases every 2 weeks to learn. For example a case could be about cardiovascular disease, for that case we would spend two weeks devising learning outcomes and answering them (3 3 hour sessions over the two weeks, monday, monday and friday) over the course of the week, each CBL session is in groups of 8-12 with a facilitator to guide your learning. We then have placement once a week and lectures, classes, tutorials and labs to consolidate our learning. this is for the first two years.

in later years you become more clinical based. often everything you cover in each case will be revisited at a later date, this is the great thing about the spiral curiculum as it allows you to add on more information whilst revising.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Natalie, this is so good. You have explained it better than the website. On the medic portal the course is described as integrated. CBL sounds similar to PBL,
Thanks so much Natalie, this is so good. You have explained it better than the website. On the medic portal the course is described as integrated. CBL sounds similar to PBL,

CBL is very similar to PBL in its structure, but is much more directed.
So no one's heard anything so far?
Original post by distractme

Not that I know of, last year interview invites went out around the middle of november, but with the interview process changing this year who knows.
i accidentally ticked the box declaring a criminal conviction on my UCAS, however i emailed cardiff to inform them that i ticked this box by accident and don't actually have any criminal convictions. will they take to this lightly?
Original post by distractme

This is from their admissions policy (http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/357809/Admissions-Policy-for-Undergraduate-Programmes-in-Medicine-2017-18.pdf):

"For 2017 entry, applicants will be required to attend multiple mini interviews. Selection for interview is based on academic performance. For those selected for interview, applicants will attend a 10 station multiple mini interview. These interviews will take place over a three week period: 30th November 2016 14th December 2016 18th January 2017 25th January 2017".

From my experience, Medical schools tend to give around atleast 2 weeks notice prior to the interview date allow you to prepare/ arrange transport and accommodation.
Original post by futuremedic19
This is from their admissions policy (http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/357809/Admissions-Policy-for-Undergraduate-Programmes-in-Medicine-2017-18.pdf):

"For 2017 entry, applicants will be required to attend multiple mini interviews. Selection for interview is based on academic performance. For those selected for interview, applicants will attend a 10 station multiple mini interview. These interviews will take place over a three week period: 30th November 2016 14th December 2016 18th January 2017 25th January 2017".

From my experience, Medical schools tend to give around atleast 2 weeks notice prior to the interview date allow you to prepare/ arrange transport and accommodation.

i got 5 days notice and I was interviewed in late November, so it does differ. I think we should expect to hear back about some interviews within the next 2/3 weeks.
Lots of people talking in this Facebook group:

facebook.com/groups/152481561888778/
i got 5 days notice and I was interviewed in late November, so it does differ. I think we should expect to hear back about some interviews within the next 2/3 weeks.

Thank you both!
Can someone's please explain how the point scoring system works for Cardiff? I've looked all over and can't find anything out about it!
Original post by Tsraccount159
Can someone's please explain how the point scoring system works for Cardiff? I've looked all over and can't find anything out about it!

They count 9 GCSEs - 3 points for an A* , 2 for A and 1 for B.

You must include 3 sciences, maths and english language in that 9. They also do not allow you to count additional/further maths at gcse.

If you have achieved A levels then you can add 3 points for an A* and 2 for and A.

Last year you needed 26/27 points for an interview. This is because people tend to apply to a university based on their strenghths. So you will find people applying here with strong GCSEs and achieved A levels.
Does anyone know when Cardiff start giving interviews out?
Also Cardiff have changed to MMI?
Last year the first on TSR was given out on 10th November, year before that was the 5th/6th November but they get released in small batches of 10-15 per day all the way into December
Also yes, Cardiff have switched to MMI but no one yet knows exactly what this will entail as it's the first year
They count 9 GCSEs - 3 points for an A* , 2 for A and 1 for B.

You must include 3 sciences, maths and english language in that 9. They also do not allow you to count additional/further maths at gcse.

If you have achieved A levels then you can add 3 points for an A* and 2 for and A.

Last year you needed 26/27 points for an interview. This is because people tend to apply to a university based on their strenghths. So you will find people applying here with strong GCSEs and achieved A levels.

Thanks! I'm not quite sure why this is the first Ive come across this but ahwell! My school only allowed me to do 8 GCSEs and my school has formally emailed Cardiff admissions to confirm this, if I have 7A*s and 1A how many points would I get if they adjust my points for only having 8 GCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending