The Student Room Group

Intelligibility issues

Hello everyone,

I am Brazilian and I am an English teacher in Brazil and I am majoring in English language at University.
I have been wondering for a long time how to express myself better when speaking English.
It is known that foreigners tend to adapt the way they speak English according to their mother tongue. However this path taken by the speakers may cause some misunderstandings.
What should I have in mind when teaching my students how to be intelligible?
And I have another question, is it of any harm if a person who has English as a second language make some mistakes, but be understood?
I am looking forward to checking on your advice or point of view.
Good afternoon, I am also an English student, and I have some opinions on what you are focusing on.
I am now having a Phonology subject on graduation, and my teacher says it is normal for us having some aspects of our mother tongue, especially on pronnciation aspects.
To be honest, I do not think it is sometihing to be fought against. We have our identities, and I think it is OK for us having this identities even when using a second language, especially if we are being understood.
Hoping to have helped.
Reply 2
Thank you Luís Henrique, you have been of great help.
I share the same opinion of yours, what counts most in a conversation is to be understood.

Original post by Luís Henrique
Good afternoon, I am also an English student, and I have some opinions on what you are focusing on.
I am now having a Phonology subject on graduation, and my teacher says it is normal for us having some aspects of our mother tongue, especially on pronnciation aspects.
To be honest, I do not think it is sometihing to be fought against. We have our identities, and I think it is OK for us having this identities even when using a second language, especially if we are being understood.
Hoping to have helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending