The Student Room Group

A Level School Dilemma

I'm having problems deciding if I want to move to a grammar school for sixth form or stay at my school's sixth form. I want to go to this grammar school as I see it a great opportunity to improve my intelligence and I want to experience new things in my life. However, I've been doing some research online into career prospects and such and I've discovered that if I want to go into biology, the a levels that would best compliment this decision would be biology, chemistry, maths and further maths.

Okay here's the problem, when I went for my interview at the grammar school they told me that if I want to do further maths, it will have to go together with maths as one a level so I'm essentially required to do five AS levels if I want to do the subjects that will open up the best opportunities. My sixth form despite being relatively new is a familiar place to me and will allow me to take these options as four AS levels. Do you think I should go to the grammar school or my sixth form? And if I'm wrong about biology career prospects please tell me what A levels would be best, thanks.
Original post by HurtfulHarold
I'm having problems deciding if I want to move to a grammar school for sixth form or stay at my school's sixth form. I want to go to this grammar school as I see it a great opportunity to improve my intelligence and I want to experience new things in my life. However, I've been doing some research online into career prospects and such and I've discovered that if I want to go into biology, the a levels that would best compliment this decision would be biology, chemistry, maths and further maths.

Okay here's the problem, when I went for my interview at the grammar school they told me that if I want to do further maths, it will have to go together with maths as one a level so I'm essentially required to do five AS levels if I want to do the subjects that will open up the best opportunities. My sixth form despite being relatively new is a familiar place to me and will allow me to take these options as four AS levels. Do you think I should go to the grammar school or my sixth form? And if I'm wrong about biology career prospects please tell me what A levels would be best, thanks.

I can't see why you would need further maths to be honest. Universities generally only require A level Biology and then one other science (some specifying a preference for Chemistry). So as long as you meet the requirements for university, it doesn't matter which A levels you take! So I'd definitely advice taking at least two sciences, 3 if you want to consider Oxbridge.

In terms of your sixth form then, go for whichever you will be happier at :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I can't see why you would need further maths to be honest. Universities generally only require A level Biology and then one other science (some specifying a preference for Chemistry). So as long as you meet the requirements for university, it doesn't matter which A levels you take! So I'd definitely advice taking at least two sciences, 3 if you want to consider Oxbridge.

In terms of your sixth form then, go for whichever you will be happier at :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do you not think further maths will help me onto a biology course? It would be a relief as I don't like maths all that much and I could probably take physics or something. If I were considering a RG university do you think I'll need to take physics to get onto a biology course?
Original post by HurtfulHarold
So do you not think further maths will help me onto a biology course? It would be a relief as I don't like maths all that much and I could probably take physics or something. If I were considering a RG university do you think I'll need to take physics to get onto a biology course?

Definitely not. The maths in a biology degree is no where near that level, it's barely even A level Maths standard, and I haven't actually come across anyone who studied FM yet! :tongue: Plus you will be taught all of the relevant maths during the degree. If you don't like maths definitely don't take it. For a RG uni, I'd suggest you definitely take Biology and Chemistry. If you like physics, go for it, but you certainly don't need it. If you'd prefer to take another subject you'd be absolutely fine too :h:
Original post by Changing Skies
Definitely not. The maths in a biology degree is no where near that level, it's barely even A level Maths standard, and I haven't actually come across anyone who studied FM yet! :tongue: Plus you will be taught all of the relevant maths during the degree. If you don't like maths definitely don't take it. For a RG uni, I'd suggest you definitely take Biology and Chemistry. If you like physics, go for it, but you certainly don't need it. If you'd prefer to take another subject you'd be absolutely fine too :h:

Oh wow thanks so much for you help! All I need to do now is think about all of this for a while and I'm sure I can think of a combination that I will enjoy. Once again thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest