The Student Room Group

Maths, Physics and Psychology A-level?

I'm thinking of studying Maths, Physics and Psychology at A-level. Has anyone had any experiences with these subjects and could maybe give some advice? Is this is good combination? Thank you!!
Original post by india.barnes
I'm thinking of studying Maths, Physics and Psychology at A-level. Has anyone had any experiences with these subjects and could maybe give some advice? Is this is good combination? Thank you!!

Haven't done physics but have done Maths to AS and got an A and did Psychology A level and got an A* so have some experience of them.
Personally I really liked doing maths and psychology, it was always a lovely change and a break when I'd go from Maths lessons to Paychology lessons, the change in pace and content was great. Really loved Psychology - I did the AQA B course and the content was SO interesting, loved my teachers, it was just Fab! I'd really advice that instead of memorising the theories and approaches in psychology, try to understand them, it will make it a lot easier when memorising your essays. That's one thing about psychology though, there is a lot of memorisation to do, we basically wrote model essay answers for all the possible exam questions that could come up and memorised them. Sounds a bit excessive I know, but it meant whatever questions came up in the paper (short or long answered) we'd be prepared. The psychology exam is pretty much a memory test however the lessons throughout the lesson are SO interesting and fun that it makes up for it. I'd recommend you memorise essays throughout the year, so that you don't make life too hard for yourself for your exams at the end of the year though.
What really helped me when memorising psychology essays was first writing it out in full, then getting an A4 sheet and writing the essay title on the top and then doing PEE for each of my paragraphs, writing s sentence or two for each P(oint) E(vidence) E(xplanation), if that makes sense. Then after that I'd transfer it to a cue card.
Maths- not much to say here really apart form lots of practice papers. Maths isn't overly hard if you make sure you understand the concepts. If you don't get it, ask a teacher or someone after the lesson so you get it ASAP! Do past papers dating back from like 2002 and also do Solomon papers cos they're harder than your actual exam papers. For me watching YouTube videos of that guy who goes through Edexcel exam papers and goes through the answers really helpful, can't remember his name now, think it was exam solutions
Anyway hope that helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Haven't done physics but have done Maths to AS and got an A and did Psychology A level and got an A* so have some experience of them.
Personally I really liked doing maths and psychology, it was always a lovely change and a break when I'd go from Maths lessons to Paychology lessons, the change in pace and content was great. Really loved Psychology - I did the AQA B course and the content was SO interesting, loved my teachers, it was just Fab! I'd really advice that instead of memorising the theories and approaches in psychology, try to understand them, it will make it a lot easier when memorising your essays. That's one thing about psychology though, there is a lot of memorisation to do, we basically wrote model essay answers for all the possible exam questions that could come up and memorised them. Sounds a bit excessive I know, but it meant whatever questions came up in the paper (short or long answered) we'd be prepared. The psychology exam is pretty much a memory test however the lessons throughout the lesson are SO interesting and fun that it makes up for it. I'd recommend you memorise essays throughout the year, so that you don't make life too hard for yourself for your exams at the end of the year though.
What really helped me when memorising psychology essays was first writing it out in full, then getting an A4 sheet and writing the essay title on the top and then doing PEE for each of my paragraphs, writing s sentence or two for each P(oint) E(vidence) E(xplanation), if that makes sense. Then after that I'd transfer it to a cue card.
Maths- not much to say here really apart form lots of practice papers. Maths isn't overly hard if you make sure you understand the concepts. If you don't get it, ask a teacher or someone after the lesson so you get it ASAP! Do past papers dating back from like 2002 and also do Solomon papers cos they're harder than your actual exam papers. For me watching YouTube videos of that guy who goes through Edexcel exam papers and goes through the answers really helpful, can't remember his name now, think it was exam solutions

Why did you drop maths?
Original post by Rajive
Why did you drop maths?

I wasn't prepared to do 4 A levels so either had to drop Maths or Psychology. I really disliked maths and had to try the hardest in Maths to get an A. I remember feeling so sad and stressed in most maths lessons because I couldn't understand the concepts as quick as my class mates and often left feeling really confused so I had to go see teachers after school to get them to explain it to me. Basically couldn't stand another year of that. Whereas I absolutely adored Psychology and found it incredibly easy
Why psychology? Pick another complementary subject ie FM or chemistry.
Original post by Pinkberry_y

Thank you so much! That is so so helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest