The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Terrible AS results

Ok - so I do Chemistry, Biology, History and Law. I knew the Biology exam went badly and I got what I expected to get which was an E and got what I expected to get in Law which was a C. However, Chemistry I expected to get a C and got a D. But the one that I was really surpised about was History - I was expecting a C and ended up getting a E!!! So overall it was a CDEE. Aaaarghhh. I had tried my hardest throughout the year, giving up so many hobbies to focus on my studies, getting C's all year round and I get CDEE!!! I go on forums on here and people think C's are terrible. To feel like the only talent you had was on academic subjects and fail so badly has made me feel so worthless. When I first came to college I had hopes of doing veterinary science at university but quickly discover I wasnt going to do that because there was no way to achieve striaght A's so I decided I wanted to do either History or Chemistry at university and later decided on History and go to a uni that wanted BBC which I thought was achievable and now it seems I can't do that either. If I keep going like this eventually I will decide I can't do anything but work at Morrison's for the rest of my life. I am thinking of giving up college but with them being linear subjects I am really unsure on what I want to do. I feel like I have been so resilient throughout the year and my reward is a CDEE. Grrrrrrr.
Original post by Pepper111
Ok - so I do Chemistry, Biology, History and Law. I knew the Biology exam went badly and I got what I expected to get which was an E and got what I expected to get in Law which was a C. However, Chemistry I expected to get a C and got a D. But the one that I was really surpised about was History - I was expecting a C and ended up getting a E!!! So overall it was a CDEE. Aaaarghhh. I had tried my hardest throughout the year, giving up so many hobbies to focus on my studies, getting C's all year round and I get CDEE!!! I go on forums on here and people think C's are terrible. To feel like the only talent you had was on academic subjects and fail so badly has made me feel so worthless. When I first came to college I had hopes of doing veterinary science at university but quickly discover I wasnt going to do that because there was no way to achieve striaght A's so I decided I wanted to do either History or Chemistry at university and later decided on History and go to a uni that wanted BBC which I thought was achievable and now it seems I can't do that either. If I keep going like this eventually I will decide I can't do anything but work at Morrison's for the rest of my life. I am thinking of giving up college but with them being linear subjects I am really unsure on what I want to do. I feel like I have been so resilient throughout the year and my reward is a CDEE. Grrrrrrr.

similar feeling i have

since your in AS i suggest you take btec it really is good and you could get in too so many courses like radiography, audiology etc. I got d in chemistry and d in physics at a2 and an A in history. couldn't get into radiography audiology and then finding out people with btec got in made me feel so bad. I really put too much effort and honestly i couldn't have done more.

what course are you interested in studying?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
i got CCCD in my AS, i want to do ChemEng at i need A*AA so i know how you feel.Don't give up though, you need to look at what went wrong and how you could improve and change your revision techniques

I felt like this today after getting less than desirable AS results, went to a friend's house and his brother is currently doing a PhD in History despite getting straight D's at A Level, from the sounds of it his PS got him into a BCC course and he went from there, try not to worry and I'm sure you'll do good next year.
Reply 4
i would suggest to start considering retaking As and maybe picking other subjects that you want to do. Maybe you can continue to do Law as you got C and you can work hard to get a higher grade next year but retake the other subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by yusuf_777
similar feeling i have

since your in AS i suggest you take btec it really is good and you could get in too so many courses like radiography, audiology etc. I got d in chemistry and d in physics at a2 and an A in history. couldn't get into radiography audiology and then finding out people with btec got in made me feel so bad. I really put too much effort and honestly i couldn't have done more.

I don't know anymore, I feel like my options are closing all of the time - I started late in Law as I had chosen to do Physics but that wasn't going well getting U's on the easiest tests.
I feel exactly the same way. I was expecting a A in History, thought the exams went well, have been achieving As all year in class, had no problems whatsoever and worked so so hard, and then opened my results and got a C. I know the feeling! It's horrible, I want to study History at uni too and feel like my dreams of a top uni are just crumbling. My sympathy is with you! Seems like many people didn't get what they expected in History this year.

Don't worry about your bad results. Think of it like this, you won't be starting your working life in massive, potentially unplayable debt. Do an apprenticeship, you get trained in a trade, paid as you learn and have a damn sight more of a guarantee
Of getting a job at the end of it, then you do after leaving university. Don't buy into the university con, your live is far from ruined so don't worry about it. Look at Richard Branson, he left school at the age of 16 and became a billionaire. Funny how it works out.

similar feeling i have

I got a C in History today and they accepted me. :/
If you want you can take a look at my blog post What To Do On Results Day: http://ow.ly/JDM1303nzf9
where I discuss options for As and A2 students who don't do too great on their exams (I was in the same place when I did my As too!) I'm currently working on more blog posts to help students out :smile: Good luck and I hope you do better onwards :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending