The Student Room Group

2Bs, a D and an E in my first year of A-levels, should I continue?

I went to pick up my AS level results on Thursday and they weren't exactly what I was expecting and now I am unsure of what to do. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
You definitely should. They're not bad grades... Plus you can do resits for the ones you're not happy with, depending on the course you want to do. I was in the same situation last year but I'm off to uni now. Just stick to the subjects that you're good at and everything will fall into place. Don't force subjects you're not so great at, focus on your strengths. Good luck with everything!
Reply 2
Carry on with three subjects and pull up your socks. It's not worth retaking an entire year and you're going to have to work hard. I know a load of people who got similar AS grades and managed to get good, if not brilliant, A2 grades.

Like the person above has said, focus on your strengths and carry on with the subjects you're better at. Work strategically, objectively and smart.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the very helpful advice! I know I didn't work as hard as I should have and balancing a job as well as my first year of A-levels was probably not the best idea, but it's good to know there's still hope for next year. I suppose when I opened that envelope I was just really disappointed and the grades where very unexpected (compared to my target grades)

The only problem is that applying to prospective universities is going to be hard with these grades. I was hoping to apply to Edinburgh and Manchester for a degree in Computing and Computer Science, but as the entry requirements are rather high I'm now unsure of what to do. I was thinking of holding my application and taking a gap year after I've finished the entirety of my A-level courses, but that would also mean I'd start later than everyone else and I may lose all motivation needed to make it to uni by then anyway.

I suppose I have a lot of thinking to do...
You can get predictions of up to AAB which would give you a lot of good choices. If not then work much harder this year and reapply with your achieved grades.
Original post by doitforyou
I went to pick up my AS level results on Thursday and they weren't exactly what I was expecting and now I am unsure of what to do. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

If I was you, I would drop the subject that you got an E in and continue with the other 3. Also, if the as level that you got a D in is reformed, you will still be able to get a great mark as it won't count for A2. If it is unreformed, I would resit some of the modules if you didn't do so well in. I wouldn't worry too much though, my sister got two Es and a U at AS and dropped out of sixth form - she now has a decent job with the NHS at the local hospital so no matter what choice you make, your life isn't over. Just do what you feel is the right move for you.
Reply 6
No, don't give up! I thought I could relax after achieving really good GCSE grades, however that was a bad decision and thus my AS results were disappointing. But second year I put in the effort and got the grades and am now going to the University of Southampton for an AAB course. You will have to work hard and do resits, but it is not impossible if you put in the extra effort. It gets tiring but just do it, you'll thank yourself later. You have nothing to lose by applying to University this year. If you get rejected but end up getting the grades then apply through clearing. I know many people have got into very good Universities this way. Or... have a year out and consider your options.

I hope you get the grades you want next year. Work hard and do EVERY past paper that you can (and mark them!!!)
Original post by doitforyou

Having had 3 children who have done A levels - here is my advice.

Moving from GCSE to A levels is a big step and sometimes we just think we can coast. You have done well to get the results you have - but you recognise that you have not done the best. Well done.

As indicated above - drop the E and retake the lower results. The worst part is over - you realise your failings. So many people on TSR get mediocre results at AS and then go on to smash it at A2. Good luck!!!*
Reply 8
Thanks again! You've really restored my faith in myself and made be understand that I can get over this slightly disappointing result by absolutely smashing it out of the park next year. Although, I wish I'd have became aware sooner so this year wouldn't have been such a waste of time and I wouldn't have to work so extra hard next year. But, never mind, we all make mistakes! I have decided to take forward my three highest achieving subjects (if my college will accept me back) and try to retake some of my modules ASAP, to boost my grades as much as possible.

Hopefully, with a lot of hard work, I'll make it into uni after next year following the completion of my A-levels to the highest possible standard. And, maybe you'll see an update from me around this time next year thanking you for telling me not to give up. I suppose I just had a lapse of faith in myself and thought that if I did stay on next year I'd just fail anyway, but my results aren't THAT bad and you guys have helped me realise that.

Quick Reply

Latest