The Student Room Group

Student finance won't pay tuition fee loan

Hi,

Ive just heard back from student finance that they wont fund my tuition fee loan for the year starting in sept of this year.

Last year i was retaking the 2nd year of my course for the 2nd time which i also failed meaning this year i need to retake the year again. Ive been in a bad place the last couple of years due to a number of reasons which has resulted in me under performing on the course. Ive been advised by student finance to write a letter due to compelling personal reasons but as i didnt really seek any professional help for my issues i wont have any evidence to support my claim.

If my claim for CPR is rejected, can i use the student loan student finance give me to pay tuition fees? How would it work? Ive always been under the impression i wouldn't receive my student loan until ive enrolled, and i cant enroll unless i pay the tuition fees. Is this the case?

Any help would be gratly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Disektikus
Hi,

Ive just heard back from student finance that they wont fund my tuition fee loan for the year starting in sept of this year.

Last year i was retaking the 2nd year of my course for the 2nd time which i also failed meaning this year i need to retake the year again. Ive been in a bad place the last couple of years due to a number of reasons which has resulted in me under performing on the course. Ive been advised by student finance to write a letter due to compelling personal reasons but as i didnt really seek any professional help for my issues i wont have any evidence to support my claim.

If my claim for CPR is rejected, can i use the student loan student finance give me to pay tuition fees? How would it work? Ive always been under the impression i wouldn't receive my student loan until ive enrolled, and i cant enroll unless i pay the tuition fees. Is this the case?

I'm in a similar situation, friend! But I've had depression over the course of the year, hence had to quit. I have a doctor's note as I've been to see him and he's giving an official letter...but I don't think it'll be enough, I'm afraid! Worst scenario, future finance. They give you the finance you need in order to study if you can't afford it by yourself. But it is by no means student finance, and the interest is considerably more. Also, you need to start paying back while you're studying. So, that's what's going to happen for you, I think. Unless you can find compelling reasons to why you couldn't pass. And changing course/failing will not count.

And about enrolling, I'm pretty sure you can enroll without paying university but you will need to one day or another.
Reply 2
Original post by Xtrykr
I'm in a similar situation, friend! But I've had depression over the course of the year, hence had to quit. I have a doctor's note as I've been to see him and he's giving an official letter...but I don't think it'll be enough, I'm afraid! Worst scenario, future finance. They give you the finance you need in order to study if you can't afford it by yourself. But it is by no means student finance, and the interest is considerably more. Also, you need to start paying back while you're studying. So, that's what's going to happen for you, I think. Unless you can find compelling reasons to why you couldn't pass. And changing course/failing will not count.

And about enrolling, I'm pretty sure you can enroll without paying university but you will need to one day or another.

Thanks for the reply, student finance will still grant me a loan just not my tuition fee loan, will i be awarded that loan so i can use it to then pay the tuition fees, i have a job so can dulport mysel for the year just wont have money in a lump sum to pay it all at once
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, student finance will still grant me a loan just not my tuition fee loan, will i be awarded that loan so i can use it to then pay the tuition fees, i have a job so can dulport mysel for the year just wont have money in a lump sum to pay it all at once

Well...technically, you CAN use your maintenence loan to manually pay for the tuition loans, I suppose. You can pay the tuition loans in 3 settlements that consists of something like 33%, 32% and 35% in November, January and April respectively. Not exact on the percentages but its something like that. So I guess you can pay them in bits while earning the money.
Reply 4
The minimum Maintenance Loan to which you will be entitled in a year without full SF funding, will be nowhere hear what you'll need to pay a year's tuition fees. £3821 outside London and £5330 in London.

Either option will leave you needing to "top up" several thousand pounds to pay your fees, before you pay rent, bills, eat etc.

Make sure that you're being realistic.*
Hi,

Would you be able to take out a professional and career development loan?
Alternatively, and I know this is a risky suggestion, I know some clinical trials pay up to £5000, do a few of them and you will have £9000 in no time
At this point, I would honestly question continuing. I feel like if you dont have the financial mean and without SFE supporting you, it will be a VERY expensive journey.

You will have to pay for 2nd year and 3rd year, not counting any further retake you may have to take. I would think very carefully about this before applying for different loans.
Reply 7
Unfortunately the PCDL isn't available for an undergrad degree (it's for courses of 2 years or less).
Original post by Klix88
Unfortunately the PCDL isn't available for an undergrad degree (it's for courses of 2 years or less).

Unless I've misunderstood the OP doesn't he/ she only need to pay for one more year?
Reply 9
But the course itself is 3 years long. How many years of it the OP needs to pay for, is unfortunately irrelevant.
Original post by Klix88
But the course itself is 3 years long. How many years of it the OP needs to pay for, is unfortunately irrelevant.

If the OP has already obtained their CertHE and DipHE then all they need to do is one more year to gain the full degree qualification, hence, it's only one year
No, a degree isn't made up of separate qualifications.
Original post by Duncan2012
No, a degree isn't made up of separate qualifications.

Yes it is, I completed my first year and then left the university I was at and I was awarded a CertHE. That is how SF assess your eligibility for further finance
Reply 13
Hi, I receive a maintenance loan of 5800 and as i only need to retake 4 modules, I would only need to pay 6000 for the year which I could use my maintenance loan to pay for.I have a job so can afford to live without my loan if needs be.According to student finance, i will still get my tuition loan for year 3, they just won't pay tuition fee for year 2 as I've already taken the year twice before.The main question really is will I get the maintenance loan In time.for when I have to pay the tuition fee loan. I've always been under the assumption that student finance won't pay the loan until I've enrolled and Unless I'm mistaken, you can't enroll unless you pay tuition fees.
how have they let u resit so many times? im surprised that they havent kicked u out yet and unless ur actually gonna work hard this time then theres no point in continuing and if you do want to continue then you will have to pay for it yourself so get a job!!
Reply 15
As ive said earlier, i have a job, and failed the year due to some personal issues, i wasnt expecting them to let me resit either but they have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
If you fail a year twice then they're only letting you resit for their selfish money-wanting motives. Think about it; would Oxford let you resit twice? No.
Maybe sort yourself out and then reapply, get a better grade and have an overall better experience
what course are u doing and what university?
if it going to take you 3 times to pass your second year, is this really the right thing for you to continue with? What will you do when you get to third year? You will likely struggle. I understand that you have personal problems but 3 times is excessive.
Reply 19
If you pass your first and second years then you are *eligible* for a CertHE and DipHE respectively if you leave at that point. However, a university will not award them if you continue to the next year of the course. If you do all three years of an undergrad degree, you will only come out of it with a degree - not a CertHE, DipHE and degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending