The Student Room Group

maths degree

Maths degree and then masters in comp science (not conversion) is a path to endless high paying jobs and success?
Original post by RomeoSantos
Maths degree and then masters in comp science (not conversion) is a path to endless high paying jobs and success?

jesus christ what is with everyone and wanting an instant ticket to success

No. A maths degree, you spending your weekends attending hackathons, you working on programming side projects in your own time, you learning about algorithms/data structures cold, you having dealt with a few versatile programming languages, you getting a decent degree grade will be enough to ensure you a) get an interview at the good tech companies (or IT/tech arms of other companies) and b) you having a decent shot of passing them.

Maybe, if you do all of that and end up at a company that pays well, maybe you'll be on a decent path. Or you could also get fired because you suck or you could not get hired by a company that pays well.

Get it? There's no free lunch. A masters conversion to CS is nice if you want to learn some more theory for a year but doesn't mean squat diddle by itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
jesus christ what is with everyone and wanting an instant ticket to success

No. A maths degree, you spending your weekends attending hackathons, you working on programming side projects in your own time, you learning about algorithms/data structures cold, you having dealt with a few versatile programming languages, you getting a decent degree grade will be enough to ensure you a) get an interview at the good tech companies (or IT/tech arms of other companies) and b) you having a decent shot of passing them.

Maybe, if you do all of that and end up at a company that pays well, maybe you'll be on a decent path. Or you could also get fired because you suck or you could not get hired by a company that pays well.

Get it? There's no free lunch. A masters conversion to CS is nice if you want to learn some more theory for a year but doesn't mean squat diddle by itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So basically yes its a great plan if you put the effort in! Thanks for your help!! And some unis say with previous basic programming experience and a maths degree you don't need the conversion course and can do some applied comp sci...even better right!! I can't wait
So basically yes its a great plan if you put the effort in! Thanks for your help!! And some unis say with previous basic programming experience and a maths degree you don't need the conversion course and can do some applied comp sci...even better right!! I can't wait

I don't think you got me. I implied the maths (or really any decent) degree was the minimum and will not be sufficient and a straight walk into the park to highly paid tech jobs. Nobody really needs a CS conversion degree.

You still seem to think it'll be easy, but really it won't be and all I said above takes a decent amount of graft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you got me. I implied the maths (or really any decent) degree was the minimum and will not be sufficient and a straight walk into the park to highly paid tech jobs. Nobody really needs a CS conversion degree.

You still seem to think it'll be easy, but really it won't be and all I said above takes a decent amount of graft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it won't be easy obviously a maths degree isn't easy. You seem to think youre some know it all that likes to put everyone down. I'm still looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll do great!! Can't wait!
I know it won't be easy obviously a maths degree isn't easy. You seem to think youre some know it all that likes to put everyone down. I'm still looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll do great!! Can't wait!

No, I mean the extra stuff won't be easy on top of the degree. Which is what I'm trying to get across, if it was easy everyone would manage to do it effortlessly.

But anyway, best of luck. Keep up the drive and ambition

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I mean the extra stuff won't be easy on top of the degree. Which is what I'm trying to get across, if it was easy everyone would manage to do it effortlessly.

But anyway, best of luck. Keep up the drive and ambition

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks pal. Of course I know its a struggle to the top!

Yeah its definitely possible, I know people who did this way and eventually worked in tech companies. Why don't you do a Computer Science from the beginning, that way you get a better understanding of the subject?
That'll just.be one of the components of that path. You need to fivure out what/how you can get involved in other ways to have a shot at those jobs.

Good luck :h:
Original post by Bear_123
Yeah its definitely possible, I know people who did this way and eventually worked in tech companies. Why don't you do a Computer Science from the beginning, that way you get a better understanding of the subject?

Too late for that I'm already doing maths which is alright because if I change my mind I can still do almost anything. I'm doing the comp science modules on the maths degree as well as learning on my own so I don't have to do the conversion course and can do something more specific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending