The Student Room Group

How much rent should i be paying my mum?

So ive worked from 16 before i moved out at 19 i was paying my mum £250 (1/4 of my paycheck) a month rent, moving out i was paying £700 so i understand why i pay rent and i am old enough to know living places costs money. I moved back home last year to study at college where i paid £50 a month rent and it was perfectly fine. I have just started a full time job again so will be getting just over £1,000 again. my dilemma is my mum has been doing perfectly fine with £50 a month and she's been on 2 holidays this year, so the fact she's said i have to pay £250 a month rent again has really annoyed me and she knows i wanted to move out, but has asked me to stay till at least January, and knows i have just started driving lessons, so basically i'm annoyed as it's not that i dont want to pay my mum but its the fact she's lying saying she needs the money when she blatantly doesnt and as she is asking me to stay 5 months that is over a grand i would have given her when i could of been living in my own place. I am unsure how much it costs me to live at home but basically i do not like giving 1/4 of my paycheck away when i know i would rather have it in savings for when i do my driving lessons which are £250 a month (so with rent and driving lessons thats already 1/2 of my paycheck gone) and saving for a flat and a car. everyone i know isnt paying more than £200 a month (and i know £50 seems like nothing a month but thats £600 a year that i could use for other necessary things. before anyone says i'm being spoilt for wanting to live at home for free i dont i want to know a reasonable amount to pay as i basically live in my room 24/7 on the internet and cook and buy all my own food. i'm happy to help where necessary but the situation is when i tried to talk to her about making my rent smaller she laughed in my face and said no never. if i can come back with facts then that would be better (sorry for the long windedess)
It's her roof, you should pay her however much she seems fit, she is your landlord technically.
Is it annoying? Yes.
But you'd be paying £700 anyway elsewhere so save up while you can, she's giving you a very good opportunity,
Why does she want you to stay until January?

Either way, it's her roof and if you don't like, then leave. £250 a month sounds about right. Because you live there, her council tax and other bills cost more.
If your earning 1k without utilities and stuff to pay for, then I think £350 a month is probably in the ballpark of being fair, the fact your kicking off over having to pay more than £12.50 a week is absurd.
It's not that im kicking off its the fact she'll be using the money for holiday as stuff like that where as I'll be saving as much as possible to pay for driving lessons/tests/insurance/car/deposit for moving out and bus fare and food every month not to mention basics. As I was working for a moth already borrowing money I already owe her £100+ for bus fare and food so I'll end up paying her £350 out of my 900 I've earn this month as I haven't had a full wage. I don't want to live here I want to move out but she's asked me to say as she's changing jobs and doesn't know what he schedule is so I'm there to baby sit my brother. If she hadn't asked I wouldn't be living there. I'm happy to pay £700 for my own place as it is mine I'm not happy paying her £250 for a month for a room/internet plus electric and water I don't think it equates to anything being me living there is saving her spare room tax every month.
And I'm not paying £12.50 a week idk where you got that from I'm paying £58 a week. Plus an extra £100.

The fact is we don't get on yeah it's out of the niceness of her heart I'm staying here but the fact she's asking me to stay 5 months is out of the niceness of my heart like I'd much rather spend it on a flat as its my own place I'd much rather be poor I'm my own flat away from her and closer to work
Reply 6
In 2004 I was 17 and I was paying out £300 a month our of my £600 pay cheque in rent to my mum. She wanted me to be prepared for when I moved out. Which I did, at 18 to a mortgage with my boyfriend and it did prepare me.

I'm sure your mum has her reasons, but it is her roof and she can technically charge you whatever she wants, sadly.
(edited 7 years ago)
As I've said I've already lived in my own flat I know the money i don't mind spending X amount on rent if it's for my own place, i already know what it's like her takin all that money isn't preparing me for it because I know that's why I don't want to give that much so I can save it up and use it for my flat. Like she's selfish she doesn't need it she wants it where as I need to save up for my flat and that's 250 a month I'm losing towards my savings. Because it will be savings I'm not spending it on crazy stuff
I probably sound really defensive but j think I'm just sick of everything I just want to leave now idc if she wants me to stay
Your lucky!! I was paying 200 a month from my 600 per month wages and that was 30 years ago!! Try living in a studio then!! You will be paying at least 800 a month plus your food and bills. Your mum was right laughing in your face!! Ungrateful little $%
Not sure why everyone here seems to be siding with your mum. Your mum seems like she's being unreasonable to me, especially when it's not you who has asked to stay.
I think 250 is very reasonable. If you actually worked out how much electric, water, gas that you used she is well within her right to ask for it. At the end of the day if you are now an adult you should expect to pay your own way and not have your mum pay everything for you. Once I turned 18 I literally had to half all the bills and rent with my mum and I was absolutely fine with it as we were both adults and both full time workers, I would not expect my mum to pay for my rent, food, water, gas, electric, do my washing, cook, clean etc. It is still cheaper than anywhere else you could live and to be honest you sound like a very entitled and ignorant person. Whether your mum needs the money or not is not the point. I could be a millionaire working in McDonalds, but they would still have to pay me my wages, even though I don't really need them...
So move out... except idk how you will afford 700 a month if you only earn 1k...

You buying a car is not more valuable than your mum having a holiday.
I'm going through the same thing right now. It's not that I don't want to give my mum money but she's been living just fine without me paying her, she's been on two holidays this year and bought £100 leather jeans because she wanted to. She wants me to pay £200 a month (£50 weekly) when I could be saving to move out which I really want to do. I wouldn't want to pay £50 on a membership and have not use it then have that £50 go down the drain when I could have used it for myself since I actually need it. As I'm not 18 yet as well, she's still getting child benefits so that would be her payment as well. I'm not saying I don't want to pay her at all but why do I need to pay money she clearly didn't need when I wasn't working? When I'm off child benefits I feel like it would make sense to pay the amount she was getting (possible a little more) and have me buy my own food

Latest

Trending

Trending