The Student Room Group

Radiography work experience in a RADIOLOGY department

Couldn't ask for a more perfect placement.
In the radiology department in a local hospital.

I have a few questions for the radiographers but I am looking for some advice to make the most of my placement!
Hi, I did a placement in neuroradiology earlier this month. They have work experience people in all the time, so the first thing they said to me was basically you will get out of this what you put in. Some people apparently would just sit in the office and play on their phone the whole time! Obviously im not suggesting that would be you, but really just get involved in any way you.

Theres not much you're allowed to do as such but I tried to chat to everyone and see as much of what was going on as possible. For example the assistants showed me round the CT room and equipment and told me about their role. They were very insightful about the more human side of the job. It was also really interesting accompanying the staff when they did the pre-scan questionnaires and seeing how the patients responded going into treatment. I was only there 2 days but i saw a lot of different reactions. One of the radiographers had just moved from xray to neuro MRI so she was telling me about how it was different which was interesting to consider the dynamics ans working patterns of different departments.

The biggest thing for me being there was thinking is this a job i could do all day everyday for many years to come? I'm in quite a busy, active job at the moment so doing a lot of observing was very passive for me (although obviously the radiographers were busy and active) but i was never bored, never looked at the clock or wanted the time to go faster. It gave me a sense that it was something I was going to really enjoy so for me that was a really important thing to take from the experience.

Hope you enjoy your placement!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest