The Student Room Group

Forgetting how to structure a sentence.

Hi,
For a year now, I am finding it difficult to speak and pronounce words correctly. Also, I at times, find it hard to get the grammar right. For 14 years, I have been able to speak fluent English as I was born and raised in England. I am not dyslexic because I took the test and there are only a few signs of dyslexia. This occurs when I speak and write. A year ago, I stopped speaking to people. This was a bad decision as I lost my confidence and my social life. I lost friends and my self esteem. My English was fine till last year around April. I believe Tamil, my second language, is the reason for this. This is because I speak Tamil all the time at home, decreasing my knowledge in English. What I need to do is to surround myself with English but I don't have time and my GCSEs are coming up.
In addition, I find it hard to pronounce complicated and not so complicated words and i find it hard to say words like Erica, decision, wall, ill, marketable and etc.
Also, it takes me time to structure a sentence that makes sense. In addition, i get the grammar missed up. For example, do, does, have, had, is, are, ...s, etc.
For month, i have been coming up with theories and solutions but i haven't uncovered the real problem. It has been driving me mad for months and i am slowly losing my confidence and self image. I am worried but I don't want to give up because there is always a way around thing. This is why i am asking you guys to seek any other sufferers. My GCSE's are appearing next year and so it is a must to get this solved. I feel more like a foreigner who can't speak English at all and the intimidating part is that i was born in this country and i have British english friends. It is very embarrassing when you make a mistake in front of them and when you try to pronounce words properly.
I hope you can help me.

D
Original post by 12115
Hi,
For a year now, I am finding it difficult to speak and pronounce words correctly. Also, I at times, find it hard to get the grammar right. For 14 years, I have been able to speak fluent English as I was born and raised in England. I am not dyslexic because I took the test and there are only a few signs of dyslexia. This occurs when I speak and write. A year ago, I stopped speaking to people. This was a bad decision as I lost my confidence and my social life. I lost friends and my self esteem. My English was fine till last year around April. I believe Tamil, my second language, is the reason for this. This is because I speak Tamil all the time at home, decreasing my knowledge in English. What I need to do is to surround myself with English but I don't have time and my GCSEs are coming up.
In addition, I find it hard to pronounce complicated and not so complicated words and i find it hard to say words like Erica, decision, wall, ill, marketable and etc.
Also, it takes me time to structure a sentence that makes sense. In addition, i get the grammar missed up. For example, do, does, have, had, is, are, ...s, etc.
For month, i have been coming up with theories and solutions but i haven't uncovered the real problem. It has been driving me mad for months and i am slowly losing my confidence and self image. I am worried but I don't want to give up because there is always a way around thing. This is why i am asking you guys to seek any other sufferers. My GCSE's are appearing next year and so it is a must to get this solved. I feel more like a foreigner who can't speak English at all and the intimidating part is that i was born in this country and i have British english friends. It is very embarrassing when you make a mistake in front of them and when you try to pronounce words properly.
I hope you can help me.

D

Hi sweetheart,

I think the very best thing to do is try and see either an educational psychologist or a speech and language therapist. A speech and language therapist can be requested by the NHS if you see your doctor. An educational psychologist might be available through your school. If not, you might have to go through privately, or you might be able to go through that route via language therapist.

All the best! :flutter:
Reply 2
thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending