The Student Room Group

Oxford history 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scarleyzhu99
Anyone applying for history and economics at Pemrboke and got an interview??

I have an interview for history & econ at Jesus if that helps..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ViscountLovell
Does anyone know what structure History interviews take at Oriel? I have friends who have been told by other colleges that they will have a source based interview and then one on their submitted essay - is this standard procedure or does it vary per college?

I assume it varies by college - mine at Balliol (last year) were one on a source and another kind of general history interview that was really loosely based around my personal statement
Reply 282
Original post by ViscountLovell
Does anyone know what structure History interviews take at Oriel? I have friends who have been told by other colleges that they will have a source based interview and then one on their submitted essay - is this standard procedure or does it vary per college?

There isn't a standard structure. Those two interview types are fairly common but there is no guarantee that is what you will get (unless you hear it from someone at Oriel!). I am afraid I don't know the interview structure for Oriel. Some of the colleges do a briefing on the first day where they explain what will be happening and the format the first interviews will take - hopefully they all do this but, again, I can't speak for all colleges! Bear in mind that if you get into third interviews (either at your college or elsewhere) again you are outside the 'standard' structure of the two interviews of your college so do try and familiarise yourself with everything you submitted/said you have read and think about how you would approach an unfamiliar source even if you think they may not come up - much better to be over-prepared!
Reply 283
Hi!

Just in case this might be of use - I've found a Freedom of Information request on the History admissions process which may help explain exactly how it works, for those who aren't currently aware.

It states that students are ranked to determine who will be interviewed according to the following criteria - 70% HAT score, and 30% GCSE score (although it must be noted, the GCSE scores used here are not absolute but contextualized).

The letter also mentions a post-interview 'final ranking' - assumedly that used to decide who will receive an offer. This is made up of 30% interview score, 30% HAT score, 30% GCSE score and 10% written work score.

Please feel free to post any additional corrections/explanations, as I may have gotten something wrong!

Personally, I do find the apparent importance of GCSEs to be quite important - never would have guessed they were weighted as much as the interview (if I'm understanding the process correctly).
Good luck to all the lovely historians waiting to hear tommorow.

I expect a rejection, but what keeps me going is the thought some of those wonderful people I met at interview will make it.

Peace.
Original post by Constantinople
Good luck to all the lovely historians waiting to hear tommorow.

I expect a rejection, but what keeps me going is the thought some of those wonderful people I met at interview will make it.

Peace.

Good luck, comrade :h: I am expecting a rejection too (those damn GCSEs) but am trying not to let it affect me (and failing)
Que Sera, Sera.

Thanks for all your work on the thread!
Has anyone requested their HAT score?
Original post by Han_024
I've seriously been considering it, however I have this irrational fear that if I do so, Oxford will realise that they mistakenly offered me a place or something. I think once I get my confirmation from Track, then I'll feel more at liberty to do so 😂.

Hahaha omg I'm glad someone else is on ice about when they're gonna update Track
I got 70 on my HAT and didn't get a place :frown:
Original post by Qmwnebrv
I got 70 on my HAT and didn't get a place :frown:

Sorry to hear that. As context my school told us before sitting the HAT that last year (2015 HAT for 2016 entry) around 300 people scored 70 or more on HAT of whom only about half got offers.

I got an Oxford offer (1 in 7 applicants successful) but a Durham rejection (1 in 9 applicants successful) and I know people who have got offers there with far worse academics than me. Ultimately every University has their own priorities, there is subjectivity in every process and we cannot take things too personally.

Where else have you applied? I'm sure you will do well. [off to a Latin class now!]
Original post by 66mhnldn
Sorry to hear that. As context my school told us before sitting the HAT that last year (2015 HAT for 2016 entry) around 300 people scored 70 or more on HAT of whom only about half got offers.

I got an Oxford offer (1 in 7 applicants successful) but a Durham rejection (1 in 9 applicants successful) and I know people who have got offers there with far worse academics than me. Ultimately every University has their own priorities, there is subjectivity in every process and we cannot take things too personally.

Where else have you applied? I'm sure you will do well. [off to a Latin class now!]

LSE (still waiting)
Leicester- unconditional
Bristol and Manchester- conditionals
http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/history

This may be of interest. Click Admissions 2016 on the side of the page.

It provides a 7 page breakdown on the History admissions process and how the different parts of the application are weighted.
Does anyone know what the interviews are marked out of? And what constitutes as a low score?

I know my interview went very badly but I wanted to know the average score?
Original post by vcllichor
Does anyone know what the interviews are marked out of? And what constitutes as a low score?

I know my interview went very badly but I wanted to know the average score?

Interviews are marked out of 10, with 0.5 intervals.

8 is excellent
7 is good
6 is modest

People rarely get 9s or 5s, did you take a look at my link above?

A 6 or 6.5 would be considered comparitively low.

Hope this helps:smile:

8 is excellent
7 is good
6 is modest

this was brilliant thank you x

8 is excellent
7 is good
6 is modest

Lmao I got a 4 in mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending