The Student Room Group

Options for part qualified ACCA

Hi all,

Looking for some advice and any insight people may have into changing roles while being only part qualified.

Basically I have a first class degree in accounting and finance that was awarded in 2014. I'm currently working in corporate finance and I am part qualified ACCA (3 exams and 18 months experience remaining) but I'm looking to move into a more rounded role that will give me exposure to other elements of the practical experience requirement.

I am looking to apply to audit roles but I am unsure at what level I should apply. Too much time has elapsed since my degree to apply to the graduate schemes, but I don't have the practical experience in audit to apply to a more senior audit role.

Does anybody have any insight on what my best options are in this situation?
I graduated in 2013 with a first class degree and I got a junior role in an accounting firm in the insolvency department.

I started studying ACCA independently and I'm also part qualified. When I was looking for a new role, I also wanted to be able to continue studying ACCA (hopefully with support) whilst continuing to gain experience.

Like you, I didn't apply for graduate schemes because of time lapse/potentially over-experienced, so what I did was stick to "experienced hire" applications.

If you don't feel you have enough experience for the more senior roles (a situation I was in), you can apply for the more junior roles/ entry-level roles, and then with your existing experience, and part ACCA qualification, you would hopefully be able to move upwards from that role and not stay junior for long.

I will soon be starting a new job which I accepted, and it's classed as a junior role, however they liked my experience and believe I can get more responsibility in line with my experience after it is shown. They were also impressed by my part ACCA qualification, and you will find alot of experienced hire roles like part-qualified applicants too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending