The Student Room Group

Weight Loss Dieting?

So, I know something needs to be done about my fitness. I'm not overweight or 'fat' but my arms and thighs are getting rather chunky and I don't like this, I want to get toned. Of course, I need to go to the gym. However, there isn't one I can get to by walking/biking/public transport so I need to wait a few months until I pass my driving test to sign up to a gym. So, I'm dieting to lose some excess weight first, but my mom keeps telling me this is silly and that dieting doesn't change your weight? I thought that was the whole point. Anyway, anybody know if dieting is going to help change my weight? And further, if there's any type of diet that's good for weight loss on the legs/waist?
Original post by EmmaL.AM
So, I know something needs to be done about my fitness. I'm not overweight or 'fat' but my arms and thighs are getting rather chunky and I don't like this, I want to get toned. Of course, I need to go to the gym. However, there isn't one I can get to by walking/biking/public transport so I need to wait a few months until I pass my driving test to sign up to a gym. So, I'm dieting to lose some excess weight first, but my mom keeps telling me this is silly and that dieting doesn't change your weight? I thought that was the whole point. Anyway, anybody know if dieting is going to help change my weight? And further, if there's any type of diet that's good for weight loss on the legs/waist?

Try intermitting fasting. You can do a quick google search to see what it is but its fantastic for weight loss + you won't necessarily have to miss out eating your favourite things. As for weight loss around your legs and waist theres nothing too much you can do to specifically target those areas. You just need to bring the overall body fat % down to see a noticeable effect. The waist is close to the last line of attack for fat so that is basically the last thing that will be noticeably gone. As for the gym, working out while dieting is the best thing to do as you can build muscle and lose weight, not necessarily at the same time but close to it; just up your protein intake. How far away is your gym? I walk for an hour there for mine so it could be doable. If its further away, however I suggest buying a dumbbell set at home and using them for a while. You can do so many types of exercises with dumbbells :smile:
Reply 2
Buy a bike and ride it 5 miles daily to your work/school etc. If you want to lose weight and keep it off for good, you'll need to make healthy living a lifestyle. There's many 'easier' ways to lose it ofcourse, albeit less metabollically friendlier such as ketosis, or calorie restrcition without exercise, but this will only lead do more worse than good.

Gym is definitely not the most optimal solution unless you are ready to implement it into your daily lifestyle. I suggest you buy a bike and go to gym ocassionally when the weather isn't the best.

This is from experience.

Intermittent fasting is a tangential topic as it can help you lose weight and also help you gain weight. As for intermittent fasting, it's most optimal if adopted with a ketogenic diet as once you're in ketosis, using ketones for energy is more efficient than using glycogen (assuming you are not doing any athletic intensive work during the day).
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi,

Weight loss is simple in theory and is a battle of will power

Work out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) from a site such as fitness frog. Download a calorie counter such as my fitness pal and eat 500 calories than what your TDEE is. After 2 weeks you should have lost around 2lbs, if you've lost less than this then decrease the number of calories you've eaten by 200. If you've lost more, increase by 200 calories. The aim is to lose around a 1lb a week :smile:

Hope this helps
So everyone has what is called a basal metabolic rate. This is essentially what your body needs to maintain itself at its current weight. This is coupled with non-exercise activity thermogenesis - how much you move around during the day through walking - to produce your total daily energy expenditure.

Working this out is relatively simple, there are plenty of sites that can do it for you.

So, what to do about it.

A study by Garthe et al. published in 2011 found that a slower rate of weight loss (0.7%/bodyweight/week) was far more effective for fat loss than a faster rate (1.4%/week).

How does this help you? Well, if you work out your daily energy expenditure, then it's a simple matter of reducing your calories by 400 - 600 calories, based on the standard deviations in Garthe's study.
You need both, dieting and exercise. If you can´t get to the gym the do it from home, put some exercise routines on youtube or buy some DVDs, there are some great ones out there.
Reply 6

In terms of your excess fat the easiest way to go about it (assuming your a female of near average height and weight) is to eat 1500-1800 calories and try to go for a brisk walk for 1 hour per day. Do that and you should have no problem losing over a stone a quarter and you should have reduced your bodyfat. From there you should aim to engage in more resistance exercise to change your bodyshape towards those you aspire to in magazines ect..

Do not do anything your female magazines say. Fasting will leave you hungry and your weight will rebound when you inevitably stop while there's also no special berry that will suddenly magic your fat away. Just eat more fruit and veg and make sure you walk or engage in resistance exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest