The Student Room Group

Computer Science: Oxford or Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gavinlowe
I agree that the Cambridge Computer Laboratory has a better building that the Oxford Computer Science Department. However, to describe the latter as "a small house with most of the stuff in the basement" is simply wrong.

But that doesn't justify your original assertion: there is more to a department than its building.

how would you describe it? I literally had 2 lectures in the basement, and visited a practical room in a basement. The only thing I saw above ground was the entrance...
Reply 41
Original post by harrycompsci
how would you describe it? I literally had 2 lectures in the basement, and visited a practical room in a basement. The only thing I saw above ground was the entrance...

There are no practical rooms in the basement? There's one in the 3rd floor, and a larger one in the 6th floor of the Engineering building. I do agree the lecture theatres are not as nice as cam's though (but still only one of the two is in the basement).
If having a modern and big department building is really important for someone, then I guess they'd be happier at Cambridge, though do bear in mind that it's in the middle of nowhere with a solid 30+ minute walk from most colleges, while Oxford's is pretty close to colleges and libraries and shops.
Oh and if you do the maths and cs degree you get to have lectures in the Maths Institute, which is brand new and very very nice :smile:
Original post by elefjohn
Hey! I received an offer for Maths & Computer Science from Oxford a couple of weeks ago. Let me know if you want any help with your decision.

Congratulations on your offer! What made you decide to pick this course? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harrycompsci

You seem to be saying that you didn't see the rest, therefore it doesn't exist. A conservative estimate is that the building is 50m long by 40m wide, with six floors (I can't find a floor plan): that's hardly a small house. Only the lowest floor is partially underground.
Helloo, I'm deciding whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, and I found this nice thread!Since its from 5 years ago, I was just wondering what university you ended up going to and how it was :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending