The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bristol came eleventh. Anyway, it sort of goes along with what some of us have been saying - there's very little difference between first and seventh in a table with a lot of brilliant universities.
leeds is at number 6, and this makes me very happy!
Out of the top 10 I'd rather go to Leeds because of the city...
I'm obsessed with league tables(!), but i don't really think they matter that much. I chose Newcastle Uni over Edinburgh anyway and I'm happy :smile:
Reply 24
Newcastle is a lush city :smile:
1 Durham
2 University College London
3 Oxford
4 Cambridge
5 Leeds
6 York
=6 Warwick
8 Edinburgh
9 St Andrews
=9 Nottingham

That's the times top ten. The table posted was almost right.
Reply 26
As has been explained before, the Times Guide and the Good University Guide are different, due to a split. Both tables are similar, unsurprisingly.
I'm off to Nottingham to do English and Spanish and every other university I got into is above it in the table. Most for straight English granted apart from Leeds. It's all what applies to you. Don't pay them that much attention.
Brotherhood
I'm off to Nottingham to do English and Spanish and every other university I got into is above it in the table. Most for straight English granted apart from Leeds. It's all what applies to you. Don't pay them that much attention.

Just out of curosity - which other universities did you apply for, and why did you turn them down? :smile:
Leeds and Edinburgh for English and Spanish. York, Durham and Warwick for straight English.

Edinburgh, despite accepting me for the same course last year before my gap year, rejected me this time around. Warwick just plain rejected me.

I turned down the latter three because I wanted to do English and Spanish but would have rather done straight English at one of those three than English and Spanish at another 'lesser' university. They were back-ups really for not getting onto any of my English and Spanish courses.

Leeds, well, because I practically live in Leeds. I would have been happy to go but not over Edinburgh or Nottingham. I was fairly sure they'd accept me so they were my 'safety net'. I wanted a new experience and perceived the university and a few other factors to be better at Nottingham so ended up choosing that. Although my first choice would have been Edinburgh. *****.
Reply 30
Brotherhood
Leeds and Edinburgh for English and Spanish. York, Durham and Warwick for straight English.

Edinburgh, despite accepting me for the same course last year before my gap year, rejected me this time around. Warwick just plain rejected me.

I turned down the latter three because I wanted to do English and Spanish but would have rather done straight English at one of those three than English and Spanish at another 'lesser' university. They were back-ups really for not getting onto any of my English and Spanish courses.

Leeds, well, because I practically live in Leeds. I would have been happy to go but not over Edinburgh or Nottingham. I was fairly sure they'd accept me so they were my 'safety net'. I wanted a new experience and perceived the university and a few other factors to be better at Nottingham so ended up choosing that. Although my first choice would have been Edinburgh. *****.

Maybe this will cheer you up. Deborah Orr on Edinburgh. (Sorry I didn't just paste the address) :smile:

I visited Edinburgh last weekend, and experienced the same jolt of wonder I always do when I first see its breathtaking skyline after some time away. It always reminds me of how high with happiness I was when I first moved to this city of handsome and reserved civilisation, and also how ecstatic I was a couple of years later to get the hell out of the up-itself, weirdo place.

I'm never entirely sure quite why my love affair with Edinburgh went quite so sour quite so quickly. But now I cannot spend five minutes there without automatically looking around me and gathering the most slender evidence as to why it should be such a peculiarly loathsome metropolis, for me anyway.

So, there I was, happily snuggled up in bed last Sunday morning in a nice New Town Hotel (this, in Edinburgh, of course, is code for "venerably ancient Georgian hotel"), when a piercingly loud fire alarm erupted. I did my best to ignore it, until a fully-equipped and fatly insulated fireman came bursting into my room, brandishing a huge illuminated rubber torch, even though it was broad daylight.

"Haven't you heard the fire alarm?"

"Yes, obviously. Adam Smith probably heard it."

"Why have you not evacuated the building?"

"Because there wasn't a fire, was there?"

"How could you have known this?"

"Well, there's no smoke without fire and no fire without smoke. It was an instinct."

"And what would you have done if there was a fire?"

"I would have stepped out of that window into that garden. We are in the basement."

At which point, displaying every sign of being inappropriately bitter that under no conscious circumstances would I have fried in my duvet, he furiously slammed the door.

"It's typical," I told my husband, "of the Edinburgh mind-set that Sunday morning at the start of the festival is chosen as the optimum time to run a full-scale fire drill. It's so cringingly self-righteous here."

He laughed and told me I was like Walter Abish, the Austrian emigré Jew who wrote a post-Holocaust short story, then a novel, exploring his visit to Germany after the war, and his experience of the horror of everything there being utterly and repugnantly German. But with considerably less cause.

Yet later, at the airport, I couldn't help noticing that along with the pen-knives and tweezers, the security junta had placed trophies including children's wooden bows and toy plastic swords, probably purchased at Edinburgh Castle, in the Perspex boxes.

"See," I hissed. "It's not just me. What other city has ever been so keen to advertise the fact that it's packed with literal-minded jobsworths who are only obeying orders? I bet Walter Abish could tell me."

Edinburgh. It's just not my kind of place. Never will be.

Latest

Trending

Trending