The Student Room Group

Access to HE: Science... Is this doable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m_james
As if your tutors aren't going to catch onto this....

I'd suggest submitting a draft assignment to your tutor before the due date. By doing so, you should be able to figure out what needs more depth and so on in order to get a good grade. My tutors wouldn't tell me if my draft was at D/M/P level, but they would definitely drop some hints on what needed to be there and what wasn't relevant to the assignment. You really can't go wrong with this method, especially as it shows your tutor that you're tackling the assignments early on and not leaving them until the night before.

This was what I did, from the start of my course until the finish, and I completed my course with 45 Distinctions earlier this year. Best of luck!

They can catch on, but they can't do anything about it.
To be fair its quite easy to miss a small part of an assignment criteria out, considering theres usually a list of about 10 different things to include
Reply 41
Original post by AccessToUni25
They can catch on, but they can't do anything about it.
To be fair its quite easy to miss a small part of an assignment criteria out, considering theres usually a list of about 10 different things to include

Do you really think that you're going to get by at university by doing the same thing?

Your 'method' is basically the height of desperation - put in the work from the get go, and have some confidence in yourself.
Original post by m_james
Do you really think that you're going to get by at university by doing the same thing?

Your 'method' is basically the height of desperation - put in the work from the get go, and have some confidence in yourself.

Uni isnt two years of content rush taught over 7 months.
I have plenty of confidence in myself but a bit of added feedback from tutors ill take to make sure i get all distinctions.
Reply 43
Uni isnt two years of content rush taught over 7 months.
I have plenty of confidence in myself but a bit of added feedback from tutors ill take to make sure i get all distinctions.

I'm laughing at the fact that you think university is going to be easier than the access course, just because your chosen degree is spread out over 3-4 years.
Original post by m_james
I'm laughing at the fact that you think university is going to be easier than the access course, just because your chosen degree is spread out over 3-4 years.

You haven't even started uni yourself, how on earth do you know whats easy and what isnt lmao.
I'm not going to derail the thread despite your desperate attempt to, so i'm not replying to you anymore.
Stay salty
Reply 45
Moving along to people who are actually on their access courses to put in the work to progress to university - best of luck to all of you!

It's tough, but it will all be worth it in the end. :h:
To people who want good grades to follow your dream of university, do whatever it takes to get there. It also helps if you get on your tutors good side, asking thought provoking questions and don't be afraid to ask if you dont understand something. They will notice that you're inquisitive and favour you over the quiet ones even if on a subconscious level.
Reply 47
To people who want good grades to follow your dream of university, do whatever it takes to get there. It also helps if you get on your tutors good side, asking thought provoking questions and don't be afraid to ask if you dont understand something. They will notice that you're inquisitive and favour you over the quiet ones even if on a subconscious level.

Some good advise there however I was very quite and I got noticed. Even got a award (cash and trophy lol) for outstanding achievement over 40 other people on my course, and achieved all distinctions so don't worry if u naturally quiet as I am.

So yes important to be friendly and ask for help when needed however its not only the ones that dominate the class that get noticed.

But ur right always do what u need to get to uni and for most that is work hard and u will get it.
For Dietetics and Nutrition, it's the Chemistry which is crucial - in the first year of your course you'll study Biochemistry, and you'll also study macronutrients such as protein, carbohydrate and fat. From a biological point of view, you'll need a good grounding in cell biology, and preferably a decent grasp of major physiological systems.

Anything is do-able, but the scale of the task shouldn't be underestimated. Added to that, you've made it more difficult by joining late. I'd see what extra support is available from your tutors (after all, they have a responsibility now having accepted you on to the course) and in the meantime really try to keep on top of the work. Also make sure that your basic maths is up to scratch, and seek help if not.

Quick Reply

Latest