The Student Room Group

Do I have a shot at med school?

(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by dinzyx
I really want to go for medicine but I think my stats are too low, is there any medical school that would possibly offer me an interview with 2A*,8A,4Bs at GCSE, no AS levels due to the new system and predicted A*AA.
My UKCAT score is an average of 620 and total of 1860.

Hey there,

Well, you've got fine GCSE grades! And it doesn't matter that you don't have any AS level grades. Many med schools state that they are not going to consider AS levels in light of the new linear A level system.

Check out this page on AS admissions policies for UK Medical Schools.

Your UKCAT score is OK. You should probably apply to universities that don't put a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT. Bristol for instance, focus most of their admissions policy around the personal statement!

Have a look at this blog on which universities to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Other than that, you've still got time to work hard and start preparing for the BMAT! Have you thought about applying to BMAT universities?

Hope you find the above useful, The Medic Portal
Reply 3
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hey there,

Well, you've got fine GCSE grades! And it doesn't matter that you don't have any AS level grades. Many med schools state that they are not going to consider AS levels in light of the new linear A level system.

Check out this page on AS admissions policies for UK Medical Schools.

Your UKCAT score is OK. You should probably apply to universities that don't put a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT. Bristol for instance, focus most of their admissions policy around the personal statement!

Have a look at this blog on which universities to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Other than that, you've still got time to work hard and start preparing for the BMAT! Have you thought about applying to BMAT universities?

Hope you find the above useful, The Medic Portal

Thank you so much! That was very useful indeed. Yes I have been looking at BMAT unis and am going to apply to Brighton&Sussex! But thanks for what you said, made me feel better about myself!
Original post by dinzyx
Thank you so much! That was very useful indeed. Yes I have been looking at BMAT unis and am going to apply to Brighton&Sussex! But thanks for what you said, made me feel better about myself!

No problem! Good luck with your BMAT prep!
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending