The Student Room Group

Aberystwyth applications

Hi thought I’d try on here I’m planning to apply to aberystwyth for vet sci but don’t have the 35 hrs of large animal (didn’t read the small print lol) does anyone know if this will immediately rule me out or if I stand a chance - aber looks like a rlly cool place.
I even messaged the admissions but they just said they couldn’t guarantee anything.
Reply 1
hey :smile:

I've applied to vet school twice although I haven't applied to aber before so im unfamiliar with their requirements, did they SPECIFICALLY ask for 35 hours of large animal work experience or did they say they "strongly recommend" it? because there's a difference in those two and if they specifically state they require 35 hours of large animal work experience then your application would just get rejected since vet med is pretty competitive and most of the other candidates would've made sure they met the requirements before applying, whereas if they just say they encourage or reccomend it then you'd probably b fine. but definitely try to tailor your application towards the vet schools you definitely meet the requirements for just to help increase your chances of getting an offer. good luck 🍀
Original post by aliaa03
hey :smile:
I've applied to vet school twice although I haven't applied to aber before so im unfamiliar with their requirements, did they SPECIFICALLY ask for 35 hours of large animal work experience or did they say they "strongly recommend" it? because there's a difference in those two and if they specifically state they require 35 hours of large animal work experience then your application would just get rejected since vet med is pretty competitive and most of the other candidates would've made sure they met the requirements before applying, whereas if they just say they encourage or reccomend it then you'd probably b fine. but definitely try to tailor your application towards the vet schools you definitely meet the requirements for just to help increase your chances of getting an offer. good luck 🍀

Thank you for your reply!!

on the website it says a total of 70hrs of non clinical working environments with at least 35 in large animal.
it’s not looking great for me ahaha I have been trying to contact admissions about it and I’ve completed online courses but I have the feeling somewhere else might give me a better shot. I’m also planning to apply to Edinburgh Liverpool and Nottingham but idk where else except aber!
it’s strange that the rvc related unis require so much experience whereas the others are more relaxed
Original post by jesuisconfused
Thank you for your reply!!

on the website it says a total of 70hrs of non clinical working environments with at least 35 in large animal.
it’s not looking great for me ahaha I have been trying to contact admissions about it and I’ve completed online courses but I have the feeling somewhere else might give me a better shot. I’m also planning to apply to Edinburgh Liverpool and Nottingham but idk where else except aber!
it’s strange that the rvc related unis require so much experience whereas the others are more relaxed

However, below it does say that for those applying in 2022/23 application cycle that the 35hrs in large animals is not necessary- but I take it that’s old information for next year but it’s odd that they left it in…
Yes, having just read the website it seems that if you are applying this year it is a 'must' to have 35 hours large animal. I wouldn't apply if you don't meet that, there is 10 applicants to a spot and the vast majority will meet the minimum requirements like this, I've heard of applicants being rejected for being only a couple hours off the minimum as they really can afford to be as fussy as they want. I don't know why they left in the requirements for last year, I do also find it odd, but I would disregard it as it obviously no longer applies to this cycle. I know it's cutting it short, but with a lot of determination you could probably just manage to do 35 hours by 15th October, I'd call up riding schools, livery yards and petting farms if they'd be willing to take you on weekends and/or evenings if possible for the weeks approaching. That is obviously a long shot but an option to explore if you are desperate to apply to Aberystwyth, but if not I would just find another university you can apply to instead that you do meet the minimum criteria for.
Original post by RambleAmple
Yes, having just read the website it seems that if you are applying this year it is a 'must' to have 35 hours large animal. I wouldn't apply if you don't meet that, there is 10 applicants to a spot and the vast majority will meet the minimum requirements like this, I've heard of applicants being rejected for being only a couple hours off the minimum as they really can afford to be as fussy as they want. I don't know why they left in the requirements for last year, I do also find it odd, but I would disregard it as it obviously no longer applies to this cycle. I know it's cutting it short, but with a lot of determination you could probably just manage to do 35 hours by 15th October, I'd call up riding schools, livery yards and petting farms if they'd be willing to take you on weekends and/or evenings if possible for the weeks approaching. That is obviously a long shot but an option to explore if you are desperate to apply to Aberystwyth, but if not I would just find another university you can apply to instead that you do meet the minimum criteria for.

Hi thanks for ur reply :smile: yeah I think I’m going to apply for RVC Camden now because I’ve already done the 70hrs non conical in small animals. Bit of a shame but vet school is vet school!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending