The Student Room Group

City people, how do you deal with the noise?

City people, how do you deal with the noise?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
What city are you in? You'll eventually get used to it.
Reply 2
I live on a main road in a city centre, sirens go up and down at all hours, it's always lively with drunks.

You'll get used to it. You won't even realise you've got used to it!

When I was in Halls, we were just down the road from an A&E, sirens all the time, but everyone stopped noticing them after about two weeks, and quite missed them when we all moved out to another part of the city.

Buy some good earplugs in the mean time, or put on some white noise through noise cancelling earphones when you want proper peace and quiet, or an early night. I find plane engine noises are pretty good.
Reply 3
Whatever you please, I just use something with engines because I'm right next to an A-road.
Reply 4
You will get used to it. I live near an airport and I don't even get woken up by planes anymore.

I think that headphones isn't the best idea, it'll mean you'll never get used to the natural background noise so you'd have to keep wear headphones every time you sleep. Give it a few weeks normally and then see how it goes.
Reply 5
In the event of a thermonuclear conflagration over GCHQ I'll probably be the only one to die peacefully in my bed, so this is firmly outside my area of expertise I'm afraid.
Reply 6
your brain will adjust very quickly to the point where you don't even hear siren anymore xD
i lived in central London for a while and it's actually insane, a blaring siren every 30 seconds. By the 2nd week it stopped bothering me.
Don't worry bout it too much, I'd recommend giving it time because if you go for headphones and ear plugs now you'll never get used to it.
It's noisy?
Original post by z33
your brain will adjust very quickly to the point where you don't even hear siren anymore xD
i lived in central London for a while and it's actually insane, a blaring siren every 30 seconds. By the 2nd week it stopped bothering me.
Don't worry bout it too much, I'd recommend giving it time because if you go for headphones and ear plugs now you'll never get used to it.

And she'll go double deaf
I personally find the silence of the countryside more maddening and it's actually louder as well because the central highways always have constant trucker traffic so I can never hear a thing every 5 minutes. I lived in the country for a couple yrs...
Used to it 👍🏼

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending