The Student Room Group

When is the best time to start your UCAS application?

Hi im an AS student hoping to apply to a medicine course. I know the deadlines are early, so when do you advise to start my personal statement/UCAS application?

i would start thinking about it much later on. you're an AS student, you dont have to think about it until you hit the summer term. you are just getting used to your course and class mates, knuckle down and see where you are later on
Next summer! Obviously it's never too late to start thinking about future plans and university and I'd definitely recommend reading around your subject etc. but in terms of actually working on the application itself, not until next summer.
I'm a current Y13 and I started a couple weeks after I finished my AS exams, and I spent about 45 minutes or so on my PS a week up until September. I'm not applying to Oxbridge/medicine so the early deadline doesn't apply to me but it's nice to get it out of the way early because now I don't have the added stress whereas some of my friends haven't even started theirs.

Your main focus right now should be actually doing stuff to put on your CV. Try and get relevant work experience if you can but don't worry too much if you can't as I'm sure universities will understand not everyone can shadow a GP or something. I'd also recommend starting volunteering if you already haven't. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending