The Student Room Group

Can I realistically apply to Cambridge?

Hi, my fiercest ambition has always been to achieve an English degree at a top institution and I was just wondering whether Cambridge could be worth a shot? A long shot I know, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

In my GCSE's I got 5A's, 4B's and 2c's. (No A*'s argh!) Not exceptional I am aware but they were all very academic subjects (no food tech or PE) and I did receive A's in both English Literature and Language.

My AS's weren't great, I got BCC with the B in History. I was thoroughly disappointed with these but fortunately they do not count towards my AS's and I don't think I would have to declare them on my UCAS application (please correct me if I am wrong here). My English board is Eduqas and only a few people in my whole year got above a C.

I am now in my second year of Sixth Form studying A2's in English, History and Business Studies. I know the odds are stacked against me by this point and if you haven't clicked off this tab yet, thank you, but English is my biggest and only passion, and writing is what I want to do with every inch of my being. I feel I could excel at interview, I could talk with a plethora of genuine enthusiasm and love for works of literature and I am perhaps not what they would expect a typical Cambridge student to be like? Also, I am so proud of some of the work I have produced. My teacher often uses my essays as model answers instead of the specimens as she said mine are a lot better (not trying to brag, but you know how it is). I think they would be impressed by the pieces of work I would send off for them to read and I hope I'd be able to pass the ELAT with relative ease.

I just don't want my teachers and peers to laugh at me for applying and to waste my time when all I want is the opportunity to cultivate my command on the English language.

Thank you for reading and any advice on whether to apply or not, (please be brutal!), would be thoroughly welcomed.
Reply 1
Original post by yefanit
Hi, my fiercest ambition has always been to achieve an English degree at a top institution and I was just wondering whether Cambridge could be worth a shot? A long shot I know, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

In my GCSE's I got 5A's, 4B's and 2c's. (No A*'s argh!) Not exceptional I am aware but they were all very academic subjects (no food tech or PE) and I did receive A's in both English Literature and Language.

My AS's weren't great, I got BCC with the B in History. I was thoroughly disappointed with these but fortunately they do not count towards my AS's and I don't think I would have to declare them on my UCAS application (please correct me if I am wrong here). My English board is Eduqas and only a few people in my whole year got above a C.

I am now in my second year of Sixth Form studying A2's in English, History and Business Studies. I know the odds are stacked against me by this point and if you haven't clicked off this tab yet, thank you, but English is my biggest and only passion, and writing is what I want to do with every inch of my being. I feel I could excel at interview, I could talk with a plethora of genuine enthusiasm and love for works of literature and I am perhaps not what they would expect a typical Cambridge student to be like? Also, I am so proud of some of the work I have produced. My teacher often uses my essays as model answers instead of the specimens as she said mine are a lot better (not trying to brag, but you know how it is). I think they would be impressed by the pieces of work I would send off for them to read and I hope I'd be able to pass the ELAT with relative ease.

I just don't want my teachers and peers to laugh at me for applying and to waste my time when all I want is the opportunity to cultivate my command on the English language.

Thank you for reading and any advice on whether to apply or not, (please be brutal!), would be thoroughly welcomed.

Sounds like you definitely like English! If you did AS levels Cambridge will ask you to provide modular results I'm afraid on their SAQ. Do you have any extenuating circumstances re your AS results? Do you think you can attain their standard offer of A*AA next summer? Best wishes😀
Original post by yefanit

Don't bother unless you're certain you can turn those B/C grades into A/A*s.
Reply 3
You probably won't get in this year (although you might have a chance) but I would recommend you to do really well in your A Levels this year and get something like A*A*A and then take a gap year and apply again during that.

Quick Reply

Latest