The Student Room Group

Entering medicine as a mature student

OK, so I self-studied maths and further maths last year, sitting the exams in June. I got an A and a C.I want to apply to study medicine starting next September. That means I need to sit biology and chemistry this year. Of course self-studying lab based subjects is impractical, so I need a college. That shouldn't be a problem, right? I've proved my ability. But I'm 20, and therefore no sixth form colleges can take me, as they don't get funding for over-19s.As a further complication, lots of medicine undergrad courses don't accept further maths at A2 (??!!??!!).I think this leaves me with the single option of studying two humanities this year, which I could probably manage on my own, and then applying for a foundation course for next September. Though even this seems difficult since the curriculum has changed, and all online resources are now pretty useless.Has anyone gone through something like this, or have advice on self-studying humanities?
Join a fast travel course for Chem And bio And youll get it done in the year. Your Ain maths should se you get a prédictes À for chemistry.
Reply 2
I did not do a levels bio and and chem but I am pretty sure chem will require some practical assessment. However, you can still self study and get a college to accept you for assessment. A number of colleges do it in London.

If you prefer to study at the college, then there are colleges that accept mature students. I recall coming across a few when I was thinking of doing the a levels earlier this year.

Age shouldn't prevent you from getting into college. Funding might have limitations and you may need to self fund or agree with the college to pay them by installment.

Your other option is to do the access course. I don't know how many unis accept access but you can only apply to 4 med schools in ucas anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending