The Student Room Group

The 'Official' RAF Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Awesome thread, really helpful read.

I'm currently due to have my filter interview in the next couple of weeks for Personnel support officer, and feeling very confident for it and the medical after. Does anyone know if you do fail OASC, is it definitely one year until you can retake it?

Cheers
Original post by olly5082

I'm currently due to have my filter interview in the next couple of weeks for Personnel support officer, and feeling very confident for it and the medical after. Does anyone know if you do fail OASC, is it definitely one year until you can retake it?

Cheers

They will advise you on the timescale, based on your performance.
Reply 62
Hi what kind of numbers are at the selection centre and what sort of percentages are taken through. Obviously it's dependent on job vacancies but are there quite a few positions available for the amount of people there? Or is it 50 people for 5 places kind of proportions? LolApplying for wsopCheers
Original post by olly5082

Cheers

Original post by Drewski
They will advise you on the timescale, based on your performance.

Agreed with Drewski that it varies depending on your performance - when I was at Cranwell for the CBAT there was a cadidate in the mess the night before who was returning to try OASC again... 2 months after being failed at interview on day 2.
Original post by EconWarrior
Agreed with Drewski that it varies depending on your performance - when I was at Cranwell for the CBAT there was a cadidate in the mess the night before who was returning to try OASC again... 2 months after being failed at interview on day 2.

Just got my OASC date today actually, so really looking forward to it!
Reply 65
Hi, brilliant thread. I went to a P2 presentation yesterday as I’ve started the application process for IntO and am now waiting for my CBAT date. One of the key things the officer mentioned at the presentation was knowing the names of the exercises during training at RAF Cranwell. Could anyone give me an idea on what they are called during the 3 different phases at RAF Cranwell please?

Also are there any IntO’s around on here I can pick their brains with visits to bases and which bases do what types of intelligence?

Thank you in advance,

Katrina.
Reply 66
Hi kat Absolutely everything you are looking for is on the RAF website itself. It involves going through numerous links however a little bit of patience and intuition and the knowledge will be at your fingertips. I am awaiting my oasc date now for wsop and you are quite right about knowledge on training. It was an area they asked a good few questions about in the filter interview which I am led to believe is a similar but more diluted version of the oasc interview. The links you desire will be within your given job description in a blue font link.Good luck 🍀
Original post by Katmawb
Hi, brilliant thread. I went to a P2 presentation yesterday as I’ve started the application process for IntO and am now waiting for my CBAT date. One of the key things the officer mentioned at the presentation was knowing the names of the exercises during training at RAF Cranwell. Could anyone give me an idea on what they are called during the 3 different phases at RAF Cranwell please?

Also are there any IntO’s around on here I can pick their brains with visits to bases and which bases do what types of intelligence?

Thank you in advance,

Katrina.

Hi Katrina,
You sound excited which is a very good start. The RAF actually released a very glossy guide to IOT (Initial Officer Training) a couple of months ago. The website is very old and is no longer being updated, so some of the areas are heavily out-of-date. Combined with the link I've provided to the IOT Breakdown below and @Adamco advice, you will find a lot of information. I'd advise to get started on the endless amounts of reading now! There's a lot of friendly people on here, so continue to ask any questions you have!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/2337/20170804-iot_course_info_booklet.pdf

Thanks, James
Reply 68
Thank you both for the replies. I am doing extensive research on all areas I can right now. There is so much to learn! With regards to the training exercises, I was under the impression from currently serving personnel who were with me in the presentation, that the names on the IOT page are incorrect? Unfortunately the RAF webpages seem to be down so I can not access the names I am aware of.
Reply 69
Original post by Katmawb
Thank you both for the replies. I am doing extensive research on all areas I can right now. There is so much to learn! With regards to the training exercises, I was under the impression from currently serving personnel who were with me in the presentation, that the names on the IOT page are incorrect? Unfortunately the RAF webpages seem to be down so I can not access the names I am aware of.

Kat

I believe that the website is currently under some sort of transitional maintenance at present.
Remember to research all training not just your job specifics. Think about the bigger picture and all the other branches involved.
I think James is correct about some out of date information but there is still quite a bit that is valid and of great use. The interesting part is how to decipher which isn't, perhaps the first challenge to test your mettle as an officer.
I really don't wish to come accross as crass or arrogant but I have got to the OASC stage without any help and I honestly believe doing your own research and having confidence in the knowledge you learn will boost how you project yourself in an interview.
I am clearly no expert on the subject but from my little experience I would suggest that you learn everything about yourself inside and out. This may sound stupid but when you are put on the spot about activities, interests, job, qualifications etc it pays off to know what, where, when and why you did/do things.
I myself had to think about the odd date and it was similar to an urm errrrrr hmmmmm kind of moment that you should avoid at all costs as they are looking for crisp concise answers.
Apologies, I've gone on way too much here for a Sunday.

Take care and the best of luck

Adam
Hi! I don't know if anyone can help me because I am currently spending a year in Germany doing a European Voluntary Service (EVS). At the organsiation I work for, we have a seminar in two weeks and we will be discussing what we will do after the volunteer year and I am considering the RAF but am I allowed to mention this to a room of 20 people who are not british? Because on the Not Going to Uni website they said there is a degree of secrecy to it. Also should I be mentioning this to anyone at all who isn't British?
@FattyHater Is this thread still up to date?

This was very impressive of you to describe your experience and has given me more confidence to continue on my journey to make something of my life more meaningful.

I was reading about the CBAT stuff for about a week thinking that it applied to me and it didn't, THANK JEBUS!!

There's a lot of mis information on the Internet, but thank you again, mate!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Jimmy Two-Times
@FattyHater Is this thread still up to date?

This was very impressive of you to describe your experience and has given me more confidence to continue on my journey to make something of my life more meaningful.

I was reading about the CBAT stuff for about a week thinking that it applied to me and it didn't, THANK JEBUS!!

There's a lot of mis information on the Internet, but thank you again, mate!!

I’m going through the application process myself at the minute for an airman role. The only thing that’s changed is that you’ll now have your AST and selection interview on the same day rather than a few weeks apart.
Reply 73
Hi everyone, if you want to know anything about the application or various bits of training, i've literally just graduated a week ago (March 2018).

Any questions just ask away - i'll do my best to help!
Hey everyone, just got a quick question.

I'm in my final year of University, and wanting to apply for the role of Pilot. Obviously this final month is going to be quite heavy in terms of workload - got the majority of a dissertation to write, as well as a couple other assignments and exams in early May. So, would it be advisable to not apply to the RAF just yet? I guess what I'm asking is how long is it on average between sending off the application and the aptitude tests at Cranwell?

Thanks
Hi all
I have an upcoming officer interview. I am struggling to locate where the following info is on the RAF website so I am wondering if somebody might help point me in the right direction please?

I have the definition of air power but I cant find any further info on height , reach and speed and mobility , intelligence , attack and how they link together or how they link with particular types of aircraft.
I also seem unable to find a definitive list of where the current operations are?

any help would be great thanks
Original post by chuffster
Hi all
I have an upcoming officer interview. I am struggling to locate where the following info is on the RAF website so I am wondering if somebody might help point me in the right direction please?

I have the definition of air power but I cant find any further info on height , reach and speed and mobility , intelligence , attack and how they link together or how they link with particular types of aircraft.
I also seem unable to find a definitive list of where the current operations are?

any help would be great thanks

Hello mate,

First of all, there is a doctrine of air power pdf online, i thought it'd be a god idea to read it in its entirety, i was wrong, it really didn't help, the thing i found helped me most with air power was talking to people and comparing it in theory to land and sea power, for example, the resources and speed of having a typhoon in the air of an area compared to getting boots on the ground in the same area is hugely different and we can impose ourselves much more efficiently with air power than we can with land power. However, our abilities to gather detailed information and execute specific tasks from the air are less than that with land power and its about weighing up those differences, thats what i found useful anyway.

As to your second question about current operations - https://medium.com/voices-of-the-armed-forces/uk-armed-forces-a-global-force-for-good-6816349f5301

Then research the names for more information
Anyone here applying as a medical student for the latter role as Army doctor? If I am in the wrong thread could someone re-direct me? Thanks
Hello everyone, Could someone tell me how long an offer of service for regular officer is valid for? I’m looking to go to university in September so trying to figure out timings. Thanks!
Original post by daisybing
Hello everyone, Could someone tell me how long an offer of service for regular officer is valid for? I’m looking to go to university in September so trying to figure out timings. Thanks!

As in, you've got an offer but now want to defer it while you go to uni?

Quick Reply

Latest