The Student Room Group

How many hours should a 2nd and 3rd year uni student be working in a part time job?

As per the thread title.

All students are obviously different, all degrees and unis are different.

In this example, take a mid tier uni and a mid tier subject like surveying, geography, history, - no arts,super easy or super hard, or sciences and no vocational degrees or unusual subjects like turf management or cake decorating or hospitality.

student wants a first or high 2:1 obviously

Do you think if a timetable is for like two full days of uni classes, would working full time for two days in a professional office job to gain work experience be ok? Or too much?
I think most unis recommend no more than 16 hours, so as long as you're very good at time management that would be okay I guess.
Reply 2
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I think most unis recommend no more than 16 hours, so as long as you're very good at time management that would be okay I guess.

did you do that many hours yourself?

I mean the first year is a doss and doesn't count for anything. so 25+ hours is fine. but the second and third is more serious
Original post by shinytoy
did you do that many hours yourself?

I mean the first year is a doss and doesn't count for anything. so 25+ hours is fine. but the second and third is more serious

I usually do 2-3 shifts a week, usually 5 hours long but sometimes can be from say, 6pm to 2am. That was fine for me last year.
Reply 4
I mean uni timetables are not many contact hours at all. I just don't see how 8 hours a week is a full time degree. but it is
I mean uni timetables are not many contact hours at all. I just don't see how 8 hours a week is a full time degree. but it is

You're supposed to be filling your time with self-study. A ten credit module should be 100 hours of learning (including lectures and assessments).
Reply 6
Original post by Dusky Mauve
You're supposed to be filling your time with self-study. A ten credit module should be 100 hours of learning (including lectures and assessments).

yeah but is it really that much study?

like in the paramaters in my first post - mid tier uni, average degree, average student but needs a first or good 2:1, who is in uni 9-4 two days a week, how many hours do you think is maximum reasonable for part time office work?
Red gems! :ahee:
yeah but is it really that much study?

like in the paramaters in my first post - mid tier uni, average degree, average student but needs a first or good 2:1, who is in uni 9-4 two days a week, how many hours do you think is maximum reasonable for part time office work?

I'd say that to enter exams and submit coursework with confidence that you've done well and no additional worry, then yes, it should take you that amount of time. Or very slightly less.

If you were doing that degree and working two days a week, I would still expect to have to study a bit when I got home.
Reply 9
what if student want to get a first
Ideally a student needing to work during their studies would have a job that helps them with their studies.
what if student want to get a first

Definitely should be doing at least 100 hours per ten credits. You can work out from that what time you have left to work.
I have to work 20-25 hours a week but i'm doing fine..It's all about time management..
Strictly speaking you should be doing many hours of self study each day if you want a high grade however most people don't and provided you manage your time and do say an hours reading each day/put an hour towards an essay then you can get a mediocre grade.

Unless your timetable is really spread out then the best thing to do is clearly just work on your days off plus Saturday and sunday. All week during non-term time. It's unlikely that many office jobs will employ you during university though.

I myself had full loans and grants which i spent on crap but in hindsight, had i managed my time better and got a job then i could have easily left university with a first and £10-15k in savings.
Reply 14
Original post by Eternalflames
Red gems! :ahee:

Haha legend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending