The Student Room Group

How is your first day in class going to be like

Do I have a chance to do part time jobs
Original post by Maxwell k Aglago

Depends on the university/degree - for some people it'll be totally possible, for others there just won't be the time.

Do you know what your workload will look like? :smile:
No sir
Hello,

As others have mentioned it can really depend on the University you attend I know some Universities don't allow their students to work. I personally attend York St John University and have a job as a student ambassador, lots of other students have part time jobs in cafes/bars and shops.

Hope this helps a bit

Rebecca York St John Rep :smile:
@Maxwell k Aglago

Once you have your university timetable, you will be able to see where there might be time for a part-time job, but remember these gaps are also the time you have to study.

It might be an idea to get used to university life first, and then see how many hours realistically you can work. This will help you to know what kind of roles you can apply for. You will also hopefully get to find out about student jobs with the university.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I think it depends totally on the course you do and the university. It depends on the workload and hours you are in uni. Lots of unis have an ambassador programme where you can earn money for working with the uni at open days etc. But there are lots of uni students who have part time jobs on weekends or in the evenings in bars/pubs.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Hello @Maxwell k Aglago,

The short answer here is 'yes', but the real answer as with advice so far, is 'it depends'. :smile: Freshers' week and the couple of weeks afterwards when you start your course are quite full-on as you'll be experiencing a whole new lifestyle for the first time. I would definitely recommend giving yourself some headspace during this time to get to know your university, your new friends, your timetable and establishing a routine and not putting too much pressure on yourself immediately to find part-time work. Here at Bath you can apply to become a student ambassador in the first few weeks of university in Sept/Oct, so if this interests you then perhaps keep your eye on your University's jobs page for these roles when they come up.

However being an ambassador is not the only option, there may be opportunities within your university or locally that you would not have expected, and you may well find that jobs and roles are advertised on there throughout the year. Plus, here at Bath many of the jobs on-campus are casual so you can sign up for shifts as and when they suit you, or are more willing to be flexible for you as they understand more about the demands of university than non-university employers may.

Being an ambassador was great for me personally because it allowed me to put my studies first, and only sign up to shifts on days or weeks when I had gaps in my timetable and I was on top of my university work.

Lots to think about, but at the end of the day its important to put yourself and your studies first, and allowing yourself time to get used to university and working out what part-time work options might work for you :smile:

I hope that helps!

Holly
University of Bath

Hi there :biggrin:

As mentioned by others I think this will depend on a number of factors such as the course you study and your workload. For some of my friends they have been able to work part time alongside their degree and have coped fine. On the other hand I know people who study more intense courses such as medicine who have a lot more contact hours per week making it difficult to work. My advice is to look through the jobs offered at your university as they will likely be a lot more flexible to your timetable. I personally worked remotely at the uni which really worked for me as I was able to stay on top of all my work and still earn some money to help support myself. Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending