The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

musicbloke
It's always funny when you're chatting to someone who slips things into the convo like "when I was at Oxford...", and you cotton onto the fact they're a bit of a thicko and go "you were at Brookes, weren't you?" as they turn bright red.

It's funny because I didn't think there were people who actually did this, I thought it was something made up by the anti-poly brigade. Then I met a guy who I shall call James, at a dance class. He lives and works in Oxford, and could be anywhere between 25 and 35, I'm rubbish at guessing. Anyway, he told me he had an Engineering degree and mentioned he'd lived in Cambridge, so asked him which college and after some uhmming and ahhing he told me he went to Anglia Ruskin, only to later start talking to another lady (right in front of me) about the sunset over some church "When I was in Cambridge...." I was internally in quite a bit of shock, because the way he said it made it clear he was dangling it there to try and make this woman think he'd been to Cambridge. He was quite posh and lived in quite a nice area of Oxford, and I get the feeling he felt embarrassed about the fact that he hadn't been to Oxbridge (maybe his parents expected him to or something). Added to the fact that I'd seen him at a Union debate; shock of my life when I saw him slink in upstairs, about 15 minutes before the end, especially as non-members aren't allowed to come into the Union (unless accompanied to the bar as a guest), let alone come in to a debate, and my dance classes are run by the University. I think he was trying to give himself the "Oxbridge Experience," bless 'im. He really was quite an odd sort of man. Looked like a rat. With a receeding hairline. And he started turning up at places he knew I'd be which was kinda creepy...
Reply 81
Democracy
But seriously, one of my friends thought Oxbridge was an actual university...the university of Oxbridge :rolleyes:

God that brings back memories of my (now ex-) girlfriend.

Me: "You know, i'm thinking of applying to Cambridge..."
Her: "Oxbridge!"
Me: "Wh-What?"
Her: "Its Oxbridge, not Cambridge."
Me: "Its really, really, really not."
Her: "No it is! They joined together and its just one university now!"
Me: "Yes dear..."

Anyway, i can't believe people exploit the reaction that makes people who actually got in cringe. If i hear one more "Oh, so you must be really clever then?" or "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, get you!" i think i'll scream.
Reply 82
God that brings back memories of my (now ex-) girlfriend.

Me: "You know, i'm thinking of applying to Cambridge..."
Her: "Oxbridge!"
Me: "Wh-What?"
Her: "Its Oxbridge, not Cambridge."
Me: "Its really, really, really not."
Her: "No it is! They joined together and its just one university now!"
Me: "Yes dear..."

Anyway, i can't believe people exploit the reaction that makes people who actually got in cringe. If i hear one more "Oh, so you must be really clever then?" or "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, get you!" i think i'll scream.

You've been had mate :p:
Reply 83
oxbridge means oxford and cambridge its not oxunibridgeuni so any unis in oxford and cambridge are included oxford brookes is in oxford.
pomeroy784
I live about 6 miles away from Oxford (and Brookes!) and Brookes is largely regarded as a joke around here - but only because it's a wannabe Oxford. It does a lot of "less academic" courses so it is good for a lot of people.

I'm not saying it's a bad Uni - just that's the opinion over here.

HOWEVER, in my 6th Form, i do French at Abingdon&Witney College, which is also where Oxford Brookes run one or two classes. Does that mean i go to Uni?! :wink: Or even Oxbridge?! :wink:

Er..No it's not...My brother was at Oxford and he was the one pressing me to go to Brookes in the first place. Go to Pleasuredome and I think you'll find a high number of Oxford students there....It's not regarded as a joke at all, not by the people in Oxford nor the people studying there.
Reply 85
charliehelyes
oxbridge means oxford and cambridge its not oxunibridgeuni so any unis in oxford and cambridge are included oxford brookes is in oxford.

No its not, you nipple. Oxbridge is the collective term for the two oldest universities in the UK. Why on earth would Oxbridge have become a term otherwise? They didn't just pick two random towns to create a snazzy new collective nickname. You've never heard of Glasburgh have you? Or Sheffingham? Its solely referring to Oxford university and Cambridge university.
Reply 86
charliehelyes

Well that's a load of bull****.

And if you're so sure about that, why ask the question about Oxford Brookes in the first place?
Reply 87
Tomber
You've been had mate :p:

In my defence, she might not have had sex with me if i made her look stupid. Therefore i took one for the team and shut up at that point. :smile:
Reply 88
charliehelyes

hahahaha jesus christ, sorry I have read some stuff on this board but that ones just great. This has to be a wind up.
Reply 89
Two words:
Patronising
Pretentious.
Reply 90
MC1409
Two words:
Patronising
Pretentious.

Sorry to upset you. I lied before all universities are equal, Oxford Brookes is the same as "Oxbridge" its only your degree classification that matters. :cool:
Reply 91
You've never heard of Glasburgh have you? Or Sheffingham?

You have now! :biggrin:
Reply 92
simon123
Sorry to upset you. I lied before all universities are equal, Oxford Brookes is the same as "Oxbridge" its only your degree classification that matters. :cool:

Sorry to dissapoint you but I wasn't talking directly to you...should've probably made that one clear.
Reply 93
charliehelyes

No Oxbridge is a just a collective term for Oxford and Cambridge. The reason the term is used is because these two universities are the most prestigious in the country and there is little difference between them, but a significant difference between them and the next best university.

I think the thread starter must be a troll (or perhaps just ignorant) - this thread was just created to provoke, I suspect. The Thames Valley University mention in the OP gives it away - that university is not located in either place and has nothing to do with them.

www.dictionary.com
Ox·bridge /ˈɒksˌbrɪdʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[oks-brij] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Chiefly British
–noun
1. Oxford or Cambridge University, or both, esp. in contrast with the redbrick universities of England.
2. upper-class intellectual life in England, as felt to be under the influence of Oxford and Cambridge universities: a bitter attack on Oxbridge by the younger writers.
–adjective
3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Oxford and Cambridge, or of upper-class, intellectual traditions or manners associated with these universities: a career formerly open only to Oxbridge graduates; to voice the proper Oxbridge sentiments.
Agamemnon

I think the thread starter must be a troll (or perhaps just ignorant) - this thread was just created to provoke, I suspect. The Thames Valley University mention in the OP gives it away - that university is not located in either place and has nothing to do with them.

I agree; you can't deny that it's sparked an interesting debate though (poly-bashing aside :p:)
Reply 95
Lady_Muck
Go to Pleasuredome and I think you'll find a high number of Oxford students there

there's a reason a lot of Oxford students go there........
Reply 96
No its not, you nipple. Oxbridge is the collective term for the two oldest universities in the UK. Why on earth would Oxbridge have become a term otherwise? They didn't just pick two random towns to create a snazzy new collective nickname. You've never heard of Glasburgh have you? Or Sheffingham? Its solely referring to Oxford university and Cambridge university.

*sprays coffee*
Reply 97
In my defence, she might not have had sex with me if i made her look stupid. Therefore i took one for the team and shut up at that point. :smile:

Charming :rolleyes:
Reply 98
simon123
It really is, and its so so cringeworthy and delusional. My friends both do it with UWE and say Bristol, I actually have to correct them if they say it in front of people I just cant take it!

Your friends?
Hmm...
Reply 99
musicbloke
It's always funny when you're chatting to someone who slips things into the convo like "when I was at Oxford...", and you cotton onto the fact they're a bit of a thicko and go "you were at Brookes, weren't you?" as they turn bright red.

MB

There are plenty of people on this very forum who attend 'top flight' universities and I hate to say it but they don't exactly sparkle.

Anyway, Après la revolution...

Latest

Trending

Trending