The Student Room Group

Tips on making friends at uni?

I've just started my 3rd week at uni, I'm a mature student studying for my first degree. I really need advice on how to make friends at uni. So far I've spoken to lots of people as you do but I still don't have any proper friends or a friendship group.
Our course group is really big and in lectures i just sit where ever i find a seat, I often don't even have the courage to say 'hi how are you' to people i have spoken before, i guess im being worried they don't even remember me.
I'm really independent and don't think I should spend every minute with people at the same time. When we meet in smaller groups i feel akward, and it feels worse not 'knowing' anyone. How do you become friends at uni, in such big groups? should i ask people for their number or if they are on FB? Sorry this may sound weird, but I'm new to the whole university experience. I don't want to spend 3 years friendless.
I'm a mature student also with the same problem. I've went out my way to speak to quite a few people on my course but I'm still sat on my own during lectures. Do you have any group tasks on your degree? If so I would I use that to ask to add them on FB/get numbers as you'll have a reason for needing to stay in contact for the tasks. I'm also starting to learn that you just need to force yourself to go sit next to the person again despite what your thinking because they are probably thinking the same thing.

I'm glad I've made a friend in my halls so I'm not completely on my own. However would be nice to make one on my course but I think the biggest obstacle is that quite a few people at Uni turn up with the friendship groups they made in college as they are all attending the same course so don't feel the need to find other friends.

Hope you find some friends soon and that you enjoy your degree!.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I'm a mature student also with the same problem. I've went out my way to speak to quite a few people on my course but I'm still sat on my own during lectures. Do you have any group tasks on your degree? If so I would I use that to ask to add them on FB/get numbers as you'll have a reason for needing to stay in contact for the tasks. I'm also starting to learn that you just need to force yourself to go sit next to the person again despite what your thinking because they are probably thinking the same thing.

I'm glad I've made a friend in my halls so I'm not completely on my own. However would be nice to make one on my course but I think the biggest obstacle is that quite a few people at Uni turn up with the friendship groups they made in college as they are all attending the same course so don't feel the need to find other friends.

Hope you find some friends soon and that you enjoy your degree!.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. So far we haven't had any group tasks to do outside the class rooms, but I assume we will in the future. I am starting to think that as well, I've seen people in small groups since day 1 and they probably come from the same sixth form/college/access course. Lucky them, but I think the benefit of coming to uni alone is that I feel more open to talking and making friends with new people whereas if I had alredy known someone I would just hang around them and woudn't feel the need to make an effort.
I guess these things take time but at times I feel disheartened.
Original post by Tiana5
I've just started my 3rd week at uni, I'm a mature student studying for my first degree. I really need advice on how to make friends at uni. So far I've spoken to lots of people as you do but I still don't have any proper friends or a friendship group.
Our course group is really big and in lectures i just sit where ever i find a seat, I often don't even have the courage to say 'hi how are you' to people i have spoken before, i guess im being worried they don't even remember me.
I'm really independent and don't think I should spend every minute with people at the same time. When we meet in smaller groups i feel akward, and it feels worse not 'knowing' anyone. How do you become friends at uni, in such big groups? should i ask people for their number or if they are on FB? Sorry this may sound weird, but I'm new to the whole university experience. I don't want to spend 3 years friendless.

Hello :smile:,

It's understand to have this feelings and experiences at university - especially being on a course that has such a large group - it can make it difficult.
I'd start off by attempting to talk to people in lectures - when you sit down, just try and push yourself to say "Hello, how are you?" and see if a conversation sparks form there or question about your course and about a previous lecture. When a lecture finishes, ask whether they want to go for a drink, or go to study etc.

If that's too much, attempt to add people from your course on Facebook or other social media and attempt to strike a conversation that way or as you suggested, as for phone numbers. Small steps!

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending