The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rchilton
Yes was a bit rubbish, basically came about as someone dropped out just after the TSP had started. They didn't want a space wasted and as I had been offered a HO role a couple of weeks prior they thought my checks might have been far enough along that I could have started within two weeks and be able to catch up any missed content. But after inquiring it turned out my checks weren't nearly done (hadn't even started in fact and I still don't think they have).

I'm not sure, last year the extra test we took was called 'work style questionairre' and was more of a personality test. However the advert this year does specify an SJT which is what the sift test is, so not sure if it will just be the same but longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awful. Could you please tell me how you distinguish an action if it is appropriate, to one of 3 degrees of appropriateness that the choices give you? I felt like I was just trying to second guess.
Reply 181
Original post by oldboy2007
That's awful. Could you please tell me how you distinguish an action if it is appropriate, to one of 3 degrees of appropriateness that the choices give you? I felt like I was just trying to second guess.

I couldn't really say I just go with my gut, I've done about 5 of the sifts now and score seems to improve each time so perhaps apply for a few other jobs to practise them. I'd not worry about it for now anyways as there is the numerical and verbal to get through first, then if successful they will release more info on what the SJT will involve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rchilton
I couldn't really say I just go with my gut, I've done about 5 of the sifts now and score seems to improve each time so perhaps apply for a few other jobs to practise them. I'd not worry about it for now anyways as there is the numerical and verbal to get through first, then if successful they will release more info on what the SJT will involve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you using the civil service competency framework to prepare? I noticed they also split it into grades. So grade 7 for the ones wed be doing?
Are you using the civil service competency framework to prepare? I noticed they also split it into grades. So grade 7 for the ones wed be doing?

Competencies for this stage will be judged to the HO/SO standard.
Reply 184
Just got a rejection email with regards to TSP 2017. I scored better than 48% on that test. Last year low 30s was enough.
Reply 185
Original post by QE5
Just got a rejection email with regards to TSP 2017. I scored better than 48% on that test. Last year low 30s was enough.

Exact same, 48%. Thought that would have been enough
I have not received a decision yet hoping no news is good news
Same. I got 74% when I did mine around the 20th Oct
Reply 188
When did you revive the email? I thought it was going to be around ten days before we heard?
(edited 7 years ago)
Same. I got 74% when I did mine around the 20th Oct

You got rejected with 74%?!

I got 79% and not heard anything yet.
Original post by Kneale
You got rejected with 74%?!

I got 79% and not heard anything yet.

No. The post before me said she nor heard anything. I suppose I really should have quoted her in retrospect..
No. The post before me said she nor heard anything. I suppose I really should have quoted her in retrospect..

Ah ok, that's made me feel better now! :smile:
Original post by Kneale
Ah ok, that's made me feel better now! :smile:

Just out of interest. Are you applying for anything anywhere else for tax?
Just out of interest. Are you applying for anything anywhere else for tax?

No, the only other grad scheme I'm applying for is the Civil Service Fast Stream.

I applied for TSP 2016 and passed stage 2 but didn't score highly enough to get through to stage 3. I was offered an O grade Tax Professional position in August and starting on 14/12. You applying anywhere else? I'm only really interested in the public sector.
Original post by Kneale
No, the only other grad scheme I'm applying for is the Civil Service Fast Stream.

I applied for TSP 2016 and passed stage 2 but didn't score highly enough to get through to stage 3. I was offered an O grade Tax Professional position in August and starting on 14/12. You applying anywhere else? I'm only really interested in the public sector.

I'm in the process of doing my applications to pwc / kpmg atm. The good locations have all gone now. So I'm hoping to apply to the Milton Keynes office for both.

I want to do corporate tax because I am sick of being poor, and helping the rich to shirk their obligations to society will enrich you enough to buy a house, rent it out and buy another one and generally become a second class rentier. Of course, if I get on the HMRC, I'd want to nail those bastards.
I'm in the process of doing my applications to pwc / kpmg atm. The good locations have all gone now. So I'm hoping to apply to the Milton Keynes office for both.

I want to do corporate tax because I am sick of being poor, and helping the rich to shirk their obligations to society will enrich you enough to buy a house, rent it out and buy another one and generally become a second class rentier. Of course, if I get on the HMRC, I'd want to nail those bastards.

No point having a buy to let mortgage anymore. You can't even claim the interest payments as tax deductible on your SA return.

Although your viewpoint is false. Most big firms aren't actually seeking to avoid tax. They have such complex accounts it's very difficult to calculate the correct tax due.

It's only the contentious issues you hear about in the press.
Reply 196
Original post by Mega0448
No point having a buy to let mortgage anymore. You can't even claim the interest payments as tax deductible on your SA return.

Although your viewpoint is false. Most big firms aren't actually seeking to avoid tax. They have such complex accounts it's very difficult to calculate the correct tax due.

It's only the contentious issues you hear about in the press.

THIS! Majority of tax dodgers are small and medium businesses.
Original post by Zyro
THIS! Majority of tax dodgers are small and medium businesses.

I wouldn't say that either.

Small companies can't afford to pay for accountants a lot of the time so end up doing it themselves, which in turn leads to errors.
Reply 198
Original post by Mega0448
I wouldn't say that either.

Small companies can't afford to pay for accountants a lot of the time so end up doing it themselves, which in turn leads to errors.

I'm fairly confident that SME deals with the most number of cases and highest income for tax investigations.
Original post by Zyro
I'm fairly confident that SME deals with the most number of cases and highest income for tax investigations.

Large Business would never dream of charging a penalty that's why. They're treated differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending