The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awascher
I have just completed the test. I think I haven't done well, it is a very weird test. When am I likely to expect the result? Does it come via email?

At least I got through to AC on the Fast Stream. 😊 Good luck everyone, fingers crossed to all of us.

Mine came the next day. They e-mailed me, when the feedback report was uploaded on the Apollo account
Original post by Evelyn_Buttons
35% of 20000? I thought it was more competitive than last year, when 15% of 21000 got though?

Don't worry, I'm not a social expert either - natural introvert :smile:

I meant stage 1? Actually I forgot about the initial CSIST so it would be lower than 35% (as all psychometric passes seemed to be both 65+). So the threshold of 90 for SJT should be lower . Phew . Yeah loners / introverts don't have much to bring to employment now . My competency based interview I just had was a car crash because if you don't have much to do with people , you won't have much to say .
Original post by oldboy2007
I meant stage 1? Actually I forgot about the initial CSIST so it would be lower than 35% (as all psychometric passes seemed to be both 65+). So the threshold of 90 for SJT should be lower . Phew . Yeah loners / introverts don't have much to bring to employment now . My competency based interview I just had was a car crash because if you don't have much to do with people , you won't have much to say .

As all introverts in typical extrovert roles say - fake it til you make it :wink: It actually feels great, when you manage to overcome yourself, get out of your comfort zone and smash the task
Reply 983

How do you know that number of people that progressed to Stage 2. We all have no idea. The threshold could be anything. We have no idea of the numbers. The initial CSIST required a score of 50% and above to progressed. Someone I know got 51% and he progressed, whereas another person scored 48% and they didn't get through. No idea about the verbal/numerical, but 65% plus would be a fair estimate. Its all down to the performance of others that take this test. Its all relative.
Original post by adam90
Rankings as in in the sjt 0 means nothing neither agree or disagree if I remember right. However in the graduate dilemma test 0 means a slightly positive action.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was there ever any instances where you selected the same category twice for a question or was it always evenly spread?
How many people on here did practice SJT before taking the test? How did your results on the practice relate to what you got on the test?

The HMRC seem to have tried to recruit graduates through the Civil Service Faststream but it didn't work for them so I'm wondering if the HMRC are looking for something different to what standard SJT are looking for and therefore whether doing them effectively blind, without prior practice of SJT, is more advantageous.

I did one practice test to give me an understanding of what a SJT looks like and got 60%.
On the Stage 2 test I got an overall percentile score of 79%

50% for analytical thinking
54% for achieving results
66% for communicating and influencing
82% for relationship building
90% for planning and organising
Original post by MVPearce
How many people on here did practice SJT before taking the test? How did your results on the practice relate to what you got on the test?

The HMRC seem to have tried to recruit graduates through the Civil Service Faststream but it didn't work for them so I'm wondering if the HMRC are looking for something different to what standard SJT are looking for and therefore whether doing them effectively blind, without prior practice of SJT, is more advantageous.

I did one practice test to give me an understanding of what a SJT looks like and got 60%.

I did 10 practice sjts, got 72% to 92% on them all. Got 50% in the graduate dilemmas test. I think that I would have been better not practising at all and going with my gut answer instead.
Just did it, took longer than intended but that doesn't matter. Very tough to decide between effective and very effective in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Happyday2016
I did 10 practice sjts, got 72% to 92% on them all. Got 50% in the graduate dilemmas test. I think that I would have been better not practising at all and going with my gut answer instead.

i bought the practice tests from both practiceaptitude and jobtestprep. yeah, like i literally paid money for them. still got a few to go through.
i bought the practice tests from both practiceaptitude and jobtestprep. yeah, like i literally paid money for them. still got a few to go through.

Waste of money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gingerwizard

in the sense you already knew the answers so wouldn't gain much from them? or that the typical right answers there was not right for hmrc?
Reply 991

That's a very consistent score. Nothing below 50. That in reality should be enough. Considering this is the 1st year of the programme that they have been using this test.
Interesting points are being raised here. I was wondering if they are planning to do the same as last year. I.E: The pass rate set at 70% but only the first 200 or however many going through to AC? Meaning, you may get the minimum score of 70% but not high enough to progress to the next stage. as the first 200 people might all be above 95%? Last year those who got the minimum requirement but not high enough to progress were offered EO positions at the end of 2016. It's interesting to try to gauge what they are planning. Personally, I think it will all go down on overall score.
Original post by QE5
That's a very consistent score. Nothing below 50. That in reality should be enough. Considering this is the 1st year of the programme that they have been using this test.

Thank you, I hope so but I guess it depends on how everyone else does, and whether there's weighting of the subscores or it just goes off the overall.
I didn't realise that this was the first year they used these tests. I thought they always had done for the HMRC graduate scheme except for when it was part of the civil service fast stream
Reply 994
Original post by awascher
Interesting points are being raised here. I was wondering if they are planning to do the same as last year. I.E: The pass rate set at 70% but only the first 200 or however many going through to AC? Meaning, you may get the minimum score of 70% but not high enough to progress to the next stage. as the first 200 people might all be above 95%? Last year those who got the minimum requirement but not high enough to progress were offered EO positions at the end of 2016. It's interesting to try to gauge what they are planning. Personally, I think it will all go down on overall score.

I agree it will most likely be on overall score. Very few people on tsr have a score of 50% or more in each sub competency and so far the highest score on here has been 90% or thereabouts. I would be very surprised if 80% or more wasn't enough for the AC. In previous years, there has been a pass mark of 50% and an AC mark of 80%. It's all relative anyway.
Reply 995
Thank you, I hope so but I guess it depends on how everyone else does, and whether there's weighting of the subscores or it just goes off the overall.
I didn't realise that this was the first year they used these tests. I thought they always had done for the HMRC graduate scheme except for when it was part of the civil service fast stream

Last year there were 2 tests an analytical test and a deductive reasoning test. Scores of 80% plus in the analytical test was required to progress to the AC. However most people knew from the outset that a high score would be required as most people found it relatively straight forward. However judging by the scores on here, the same can't be said for this year's situational judgement test.
Original post by QE5
Last year there were 2 tests an analytical test and a deductive reasoning test. Scores of 80% plus in the analytical test was required to progress to the AC. However most people knew from the outset that a high score would be required as most people found it relatively straight forward. However judging by the scores on here, the same can't be said for this year's situational judgement test.

really from what i read this year, most people were *****ing themselves over the "hard analytical test" from before.
Original post by ryan_12321
mcdonalds are still recruiting if you fail don't worry princess <3

Aw thanks honey, I'll keep that in mind xo
Original post by JDW87
Dude I'd completely ignore that unnecessarily negative and unsubstantiated comment. Respect for your commitment and good luck in the test :beerglass:

i'm in the middle of it right now. it seems vaguer and harder than the practice ones i've done. which through out i've never really managed to get over 60% anyway despite my best efforts.

this new test seems sadistic. would you sir rather shoot yourself in the foot, or to pull off one of your fingers nails :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 999
in the sense you already knew the answers so wouldn't gain much from them? or that the typical right answers there was not right for hmrc?

Dude I'd completely ignore that unnecessarily negative and unsubstantiated comment. Respect for your commitment and good luck in the test

really from what i read this year, most people were *****ing themselves over the "hard analytical test" from before.

The analytical tests were tricky, and also because they were timed there was an added pressure. Thing with that test was there was either a right or a wrong answer, whereas with the SJT there's a lot more of a grey area and second guessing what is basically a judgement call (I guess that's the point). I'd personally prefer another round of analytical/deductive reasoning to the SJT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending