The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

Guys do you know when we find out where we are getting placed?
Original post by soprano
Ah, who is this??

I was successful from that AC
Anyone on here from the blue group 15/16?

Through with Edinburgh as first preference.
Anyone else successful from Warwick 22/23 Feb? My location choice is Newcastle which doesn't seem that popular
Original post by Katcopper
Anyone else successful from Warwick 22/23 Feb? My location choice is Newcastle which doesn't seem that popular

Yep I was.
Original post by scrawford3
I was successful from that AC

Heard about anyone else from that day?
Original post by Joey952
Guys do you know when we find out where we are getting placed?

We should find out towards mid april at the earliest.
Original post by Ray_day
We should find out towards mid april at the earliest.

Yeah I agree....2 weeks early with the successful/unsuccessful/reserve emails and now talking about finding out by the end of April. They may want emails out with locations before Easter though.
Still stupidly checking FB, email and TSR daily...
Reply 1588
Can i just ask if anyone else is in the same boat as me - I've had the email saying I was successful but my status on the CS jobs site still says my application is being reviewed.

I'm starting to worry the email was a mistake - especially now that I've been telling people I got it!
Original post by Ali.23
Can i just ask if anyone else is in the same boat as me - I've had the email saying I was successful but my status on the CS jobs site still says my application is being reviewed.

I'm starting to worry the email was a mistake - especially now that I've been telling people I got it!

Mine is exactly the same so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Well done on getting through :smile:
Original post by Frankjack87
Mine is exactly the same so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Well done on getting through :smile:

Mine too
Anyone from the blue group in Warwick 20-21 Feb?

BLUE TEAM ASSEMBLE
Simple to occupy my mind I've looked back at responses. There has been 36 (inc 2 offline) people say they have been successful and 30 (inc the two offline)have given perferred locations;

6 people
Belfast

5 people
Glasgow

4 people
Cardiff
Manchester

2 people
Leeds
Liverpool

1 person
Birmingham
Bristol
Edinburgh
London (G)
London (C)
Newcastle
Nottingham

Happy to add others
I thought that those waiting for a location would be interested in the latest post from the HMRC Graduate Scheme Facebook page, especially if you're interested in changing/adding locations to your preference list.

"All you need to know - Strict Merit Order
All places on TSP will be offered on a strict merit order basis in accordance with the Civil Service Recruitment Principles.
Places are offered based on stage 3 rankings and location preferences.

The highest ranked candidate will be placed first at their preferred location, followed by the next ranked candidate and so on.

If we are unable to place a candidate in their preferred first location, due to being over subscribed, we will offer the candidate their second choice and so on.

If we are unable to place a candidate in one of their preferred locations, and they have indicated that they would accept an alternative location, we will offer them an alternative location.

If we unable to place a candidate in one of their preferred locations and they have indicated that they would not accept a location outside of their preferences, the candidate will wait on a reserve list until a preferred location becomes available following accepts and declines of offers. If a preferred location does not become available during the placement period , we may not be able to offer you a place on TSP.

A candidate may update their preferences by emailing [email protected] with their updates to the preference form completed at the HMRC Assessment Centre.

The higher you finished at the HMRC Assessment Centres does increase your chances of being offered a place on TSP at one of your preferred locations.
Thank You"
I hope that's reflective of the entire group, but I suspect not! We were told that London is always over subscribed and it was strongly recommended that we include an option outside of London.

I went for:

1) London (G)
2) London (C)
3) Bristol

Cheers!
So they're using the bad allocation system. Great
Original post by BMoiz_
So they're using the bad allocation system. Great

Why is it a bad allocation system? Seems like the fairest way to me without wasting time offering locations to people who aren't interested in moving to locations they've not specified.
They shouldn't use ranked preferences. If you've said you're happy to move to Bristol, Cardiff, Nottingham or Glasgow, then you shouldn't complain when you get one of those locations. That way they can reshuffle people around to ensure that everybody who made the top 200 is offered a place on the course, which would follow the strict merit order. The way they're doing it, it means people who have made the grade are going to be passed over due to circumstances outside of their control
Original post by BMoiz_
They shouldn't use ranked preferences. If you've said you're happy to move to Bristol, Cardiff, Nottingham or Glasgow, then you shouldn't complain when you get one of those locations. That way they can reshuffle people around to ensure that everybody who made the top 200 is offered a place on the course, which would follow the strict merit order. The way they're doing it, it means people who have made the grade are going to be passed over due to circumstances outside of their control

If you can't get into your preferred location it's because those that did have scored higher than you. Which is fair.

Can't expect someone who scored high enough to get their number one choice be forced to take option three because they're accommodating someone else. That's the definition of unfair.

Everyone knew this applying for the role so to complain now is idiotic.
Original post by BMoiz_

And what if some locations are over or under subscribed? Some people would be disappointed while other posts go unfilled. There'd be disappointed people regardless.

It's a good thing that they take preferences into account. And they do stress that you shouldn't list a preference for somewhere you're not actually prepared to work, yet people always do. I don't see how that would change if locations were allocated randomly.

Every year the way locations are allocated draws criticism, but the reason it's done the way it is, is because no one has come up with a fairer way of doing it yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending