The Student Room Group

Girlfirend wants me to work out and get abs?

Basically, me and my girlfriend have been going out for nearly a year and we started living together. I'm not a fat guy by any means- I'm of average build but I'm not that muscular. My girlfriend isn't muscular either but she is lean and has a good body (not biased)

The thing is that when we watch movies and tv and there is some Channing Tatum/Brad Pitt/Ryan Gosling kind of guy with a great body and abs, she always points it out and says what a great body they have. She's never told me to work out and get ripped but it's kinda clear that she would probably prefer me to be more built in terms of my upper body.

My question is: should I do it? Do girls actually find it a big turn on? Or is it just a small difference in terms of attraction? I am a tally considering going to the gym and putting some effort in to look better and get visible abs but it's a lot of work so I wanna know whether it's actually worth it? We're pretty serious now in terms of the relationship.

Scroll to see replies

I'd say do it
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, me and my girlfriend have been going out for nearly a year and we started living together. I'm not a fat guy by any means- I'm of average build but I'm not that muscular. My girlfriend isn't muscular either but she is lean and has a good body (not biased)

The thing is that when we watch movies and tv and there is some Channing Tatum/Brad Pitt/Ryan Gosling kind of guy with a great body and abs, she always points it out and says what a great body they have. She's never told me to work out and get ripped but it's kinda clear that she would probably prefer me to be more built in terms of my upper body.

My question is: should I do it? Do girls actually find it a big turn on? Or is it just a small difference in terms of attraction? I am a tally considering going to the gym and putting some effort in to look better and get visible abs but it's a lot of work so I wanna know whether it's actually worth it? We're pretty serious now in terms of the relationship.

Hi, yes it's good to keep fit and look good for your girlfriend so I'd say yes do join the gym. If it's too expensive you can download the workout apps on your phone and try them out. I have been using the workout apps on my phone during the summer and it has helped. I also joined the gym and went swimming a lot. If you can afford the gym and will commit to it then do so. If you reckon you won't go all the time but sometimes then you can workout at home instead. There's also some options for pay as you go gyms which I am currently using. I only pay for what I use so I'm not paying for a yearly membership as it's not guaranteed whether I'd actually continue to attend the gym or not.
Go make yourself some mo gains

@eden3 tell him mayne tell him
Reply 4
She doesn't want you to work out. It just sounds like you're a bit insecure and are jealous that the celebs she points out have abs. I would say it's worth it anyway, you'll be more confident with yourself :smile:
If there's nothing preventing you from doing so then there's never a reason NOT to excercise and be healthy. As we say: shut up and train!

Listen dude. If she directly tells you go work out and get abs, she's not for you. If you were to tell her to work out and get thinner (I know she has a good body like you said but I'm just trying to prove a point lol) then imagine how annoyed she would be that you asked her that.

However, staying fit and heathy is important, but unless you're so unfit that you can't properly function - no one should be demanding you on what to do with your body. She should love you for who you are.
Ygm?
What a depressing thing to read. *All that body nazism which was piled on women is now just piled on young men, isn't it.

Personally, I'd tell her that Channing Tatum or Brad Pitt aint going to be ringing any time soon asking her out on a date, but maybe that's just me...*
Reply 8
You should do it for yourself :smile: honestly it will make you fit and healthy, much happier (studies proved this) and confident :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Working out is always a good option, but as long as you want to be doing it. Do it as much for yourself as for her. Although don't feel like you need to go nuts and aim for a six pack if that isn't your ideal aesthetic! It doesn't need to be all or nothing.

Personally, abs have no input on whether or not I find a guy attractive. My current boyfriend has no fat or muscle to him at all (if anything, he could benefit from a pie - or a dozen); and I've also dated a guy more than double my body weight and, no, none of it was muscle. Plus guys of varying body shapes in-between. I've been attracted to all of them physically regardless.*
Lmao basing her type for a bf on what she sees on the telly screen. Shallow-alert.

She clearly just wanted to land an average guy because it's all she can get and not her type at all, and then pressure you into looking like her type. That's mental abuse,not to be dramatic, but if a female made this thread many people would say the guy is a dog...so...

I say, there's nothing wrong with being healthy?

But doing it for someone else is not healthy.
Original post by 0to100
Lmao basing her type for a bf on what she sees on the telly screen. Shallow-alert.

She clearly just wanted to land an average guy because it's all she can get and not her type at all, and then pressure you into looking like her type. That's mental abuse,not to be dramatic, but if a female made this thread many people would say the guy is a dog...so...

I say, there's nothing wrong with being healthy?

But doing it for someone else is not healthy.

THIS
Original post by PrincessPB
Hi, yes it's good to keep fit and look good for your girlfriend so I'd say yes do join the gym. If it's too expensive you can download the workout apps on your phone and try them out. I have been using the workout apps on my phone during the summer and it has helped. I also joined the gym and went swimming a lot. If you can afford the gym and will commit to it then do so. If you reckon you won't go all the time but sometimes then you can workout at home instead. There's also some options for pay as you go gyms which I am currently using. I only pay for what I use so I'm not paying for a yearly membership as it's not guaranteed whether I'd actually continue to attend the gym or not.

Thanks. I do play a sport and keep relatively fit but I don't hit the gym much. The problem is that I work in accounting and therefore I have some exams I need to study for and a lot of stuff to do. I do have some time free time but how many hours a week do you think is needed to get a good body? My BMI is in the 49th percentile so I think I'll have to work more on building strength than cutting fat
Original post by sinfonietta
Working out is always a good option, but as long as you want to be doing it. Do it as much for yourself as for her. Although don't feel like you need to go nuts and aim for a six pack if that isn't your ideal aesthetic! It doesn't need to be all or nothing.

Personally, abs have no input on whether or not I find a guy attractive. My current boyfriend has no fat or muscle to him at all (if anything, he could benefit from a pie - or a dozen); and I've also dated a guy more than double my body weight and, no, none of it was muscle. Plus guys of varying body shapes in-between. I've been attracted to all of them physically regardless.*

Thanks for your input!
Why don't you casually ask her whilst watching some film why she doesn't look like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley or something? *See her reaction to that.
If you want to do it then do it? - Don't feel like you HAVE to though.
Reply 16
Go do it, or she'll find someone who has them xD.
Thanks. I do play a sport and keep relatively fit but I don't hit the gym much. The problem is that I work in accounting and therefore I have some exams I need to study for and a lot of stuff to do. I do have some time free time but how many hours a week do you think is needed to get a good body? My BMI is in the 49th percentile so I think I'll have to work more on building strength than cutting fat

45 minutes to an hour three times a week is all you need, simple full body beginner's routine plus the appropriate diet will get you to where you want to go, go to the fitness section and read the FAQ's.
Original post by Reality Check
Why don't you casually ask her whilst watching some film why she doesn't look like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley or something? *See her reaction to that.

She doesn't ask me why I don't look like that... she just mentions that they have good abs whenever we watch a movie or a tv show where someone has his shirt off
Original post by Greg Jackson
45 minutes to an hour three times a week is all you need, simple full body beginner's routine plus the appropriate diet will get you to where you want to go, go to the fitness section and read the FAQ's.

Thanks

Original post by DarthRoar
Go do it, or she'll find someone who has them xD.

No it's not really like that, we're in quite a serious relationship

Quick Reply

Latest