The Student Room Group

Can I still score if I do badly in Pure Maths but good in Statistics?

I am never really good in Pure Maths but I can do Statistics pretty fine so I'm just wondering if I do like badly in Pure Maths 3 (maybe D) but really good in Statistics 2 (B or A), can I still get at least B? I'm really worried.

I got only C for my AS Maths but I really want to get at least B for overall (AS +A2), what grade do I need in A2 at least for this to happen?

Oh one more, will I be penalized or something like that if I don't answer questions in order? Today I sat for my A level Pure Maths 3 but I didn't answer it in order because I tend to go from easiest to hardest so I kinda did like 2,4,7,8,5 like that. Is that bad?

I'm doing CIE btw if that helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by matchalatte
I am never really good in Pure Maths but I can do Statistics pretty fine so I'm just wondering if I do like badly in Pure Maths 3 (maybe D) but really good in Statistics 2 (B or A), can I still get at least B? I'm really worried.

I got only C for my AS Maths but I really want to get at least B for overall (AS +A2), what grade do I need in A2 at least for this to happen?

Oh one more, will I be penalized or something like that if I don't answer questions in order? Today I sat for my A level Pure Maths 3 but I didn't answer it in order because I tend to go from easiest to hardest so I kinda did like 2,4,7,8,5 like that. Is that bad?

I'm doing CIE btw if that helps.

The pure maths component is worth more than the statistics part so while a good stats result helps to raise your grade it won't fully balance out a bad pure maths result.
If you don't resit AS what you need at A2 depends on whether was a really good C grade or a very low one. a good B at A2 may be enough if your C is high.
It's ok to do questions in any order you like,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
The pure maths component is worth more than the statistics part so while a good stats result helps to raise your grade it won't fully balance out a bad pure maths result.
If you don't resit AS what you need at A2 depends on whether was a really good C grade or a very low one. a good B at A2 may be enough if your C is high.
It's ok to do questions in any order you like,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been trying to learn how they actually add up all the marks to get the overall marks but I still don't get it. I know that they have this weighted percentage as in 60% for Pure Maths and 40% for Statistics but how exactly do they get the overall AS+A2? How do they even calculate the uniform mark?
Original post by matchalatte
I have been trying to learn how they actually add up all the marks to get the overall marks but I still don't get it. I know that they have this weighted percentage as in 60% for Pure Maths and 40% for Statistics but how exactly do they get the overall AS+A2? How do they even calculate the uniform mark?

Like you, I find the CIE grading process confusing and opaque. They take your raw exam mark and multiply it by weighting factor depending how much each exam contributes overall. They add up those scaled exam marks and then compare the total to their grade thresholds to decide the grade . I'm not sure how exactly to use their published grade thresholds to work out an overall result from modular exams taken is different exam periods. For A level maths, the boundaries don't appear to move that much (usually). I think with a high C you'd need only a modest B at A2 for a B overall. With a low-ish C you'd need a very high B for a B overall.

Quick Reply

Latest