The Student Room Group

Newly Qualified Nurse PLEASE HELP.

hello, I have just qualified as a nurse and have been offered a job on a surgical ward, however I really didn't enjoy my time there enough to accept my role. I need help!! Because I don't know which area I want to work in and as I'm newly qualified i feel as though my options are limited.
Do people think I should do a MSc? (straight away or wait?) I want to be an Emergency Care Practitioner eventually.
Can I avoid working on the wards even though I've just qualified?
I dont know which sort of post to look for.
Please help :smile: :smile:
Original post by ClayClayM
hello, I have just qualified as a nurse and have been offered a job on a surgical ward, however I really didn't enjoy my time there enough to accept my role. I need help!! Because I don't know which area I want to work in and as I'm newly qualified i feel as though my options are limited.
Do people think I should do a MSc? (straight away or wait?) I want to be an Emergency Care Practitioner eventually.
Can I avoid working on the wards even though I've just qualified?
I dont know which sort of post to look for.
Please help :smile: :smile:

You're better off doing an MSc with the support of an employer and enough experience to do the prescribing module. You don't have much to gain by doing it without any experience as it's not instantly going to open up a lot of new roles to you.

Yes, you can avoid working on wards, however I really would really urge you not to write off ward work completely. Some are better than others and can be a great learning experience and a way to build up your confidence. Saying that, there is nothing to stop you applying for non-ward work such as community nursing, A&E, acute assessment and so on as a newly qualified nurse. You do, however, need to demonstrate passion for that area and a real interest in it, as you would with any area.

Jobs fairs are a good place to look into different options so it may be worth attending one of those, even if you have to travel for it. Look on the NHS jobs website to see what sort of options are available to you and see if anything interests you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending