The Student Room Group

Christian bakery loses gay cake appeal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by limetang
You don't seem to have really addressed the point I've made. Supporting gay marriage and no supporting gay marriage are both points of ideology, which is to say they're both, in essence, political beliefs. You seem to be making the mistake of thinking that supporting gay marriage and being homosexual are the same thing. They're not.

Not really. The motive matters.
Reply 61
Original post by joecphillips
If you own the bakery yes you should be able to choose who you enter into a legal relationship with.

Obviously not true.
For the reason I just gave. This cannot be discrimination against sexual orientation, because anybody can be pro gay marriage, anybody could have gone into that bakery and asked for that same cake, and anybody gay or straight would have been refused.

We know that they refused to make it because of the message that was printed on it, that's it. Now you can argue whether or not a business has the right to refuse to produce a cake, banner, poster, whatever it may be that is in support of a political cause they disagree with, but this is quite simply not an instance where somebody was discriminated against because of their sexual orientation.

As I just said to the other guy. The motive matters. You refuse something based on a hate for homosexuality.

It's not even that I am against discrimination. I am personally happy to discriminate against religious people, racists, bigots, criminals, what have you. But gender, race, sexual preference are not choices that people make, one cannot discriminate based on those.
Reply 63
Original post by Maker
Obviously not true.

If a religious family came in and asked for a cake against gay marriage should a married gay person have to make that cake?
Reply 64
Original post by Mekkiii
This idea is actually insane.

People choose to be religious? Yeah maybe when they lived on the earth for a few years and can make decisions for themselves, most religious people are born into religious families.

I really dont know the whole argument of being born gay or if its a choice , but no gay person is born into a gay family (gay people dont give birth.)
Micro-aggresion? Now that you used this term i know who i am arguing against I no longer want to carry on rofl.

You obviously have not heard of gay women.
Original post by yudothis
As I just said to the other guy. The motive matters. You refuse something based on a hate for homosexuality.

It's not even that I am against discrimination. I am personally happy to discriminate against religious people, racists, bigots, criminals, what have you. But gender, race, sexual preference are not choices that people make, one cannot discriminate based on those.

Again, you've sidestepped the question. Sexual orientation was not discriminated against here. If anything was discriminated against it was political belief. I'll ask again, if a Christian went to a bakery owned by a "progressive" and aksed them to make a cake saying "support traditional marriage" I assume you'd also be consistent and be of the view that they should be compelled to make such a cake, right?
Reply 66
If a religious family came in and asked for a cake against gay marriage should a married gay person have to make that cake?

It depends on the law. If the law says being a bigot is a protected category, then they would have to make a cake but I don't think bigotry is a protect category although I expect a lot of religious people are bigots and they will no doubt feel god's wrath on judgement day.
Original post by Maker
It depends on the law. If the law says being a bigot is a protected category, then they would have to make a cake but I don't think bigotry is a protect category although I expect a lot of religious people are bigots and they will no doubt feel god's wrath on judgement day.

The point is that supporting gay marraige has nothing to do with being gay. Straight people can be active supporters of gay marriage, and gay people (though to a much lesser degree admittedly) can be against it.

There's a very simple point to this. I, as a straight man, could have gone to this bakery, I could have asked for the same thing (a cake saying "support gay marriage" etc.) and I would have been refused. Now ... this cannot possibly be discrimination based upon the protected characteristic of me being gay since, well, I'm not gay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Maker

Being gay is against some religions and religion is protected so does the gay person have to make the question yes or no? It's a simple question answer it.
Reply 69
Original post by _Fergo
Feel free to leave then. No one's holding the door.

I will this society is messed up for real but don't worry about me focus on yourself
Reply 70
Being gay is against some religions and religion is protected so does the gay person have to make the question yes or no? It's a simple question answer it.

I was quite clear in my reply, please consult a dictionary if you cannot understand any words I have used.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
The point is that supporting gay marraige has nothing to do with being gay. Straight people can be active supporters of gay marriage, and gay people (though to a much lesser degree admittedly) can be against it.

There's a very simple point to this. I, as a straight man, could have gone to this bakery, I could have asked for the same thing (a cake saying "support gay marriage" etc.) and I would have been refused. Now ... this cannot possibly be discrimination based upon the protected characteristic of me being gay since, well, I'm not gay.

The court is not in agreement with your point, therefore its worthless in this context.
Reply 72
Original post by Maker
I was quite clear in my reply, please consult a dictionary if you cannot understand any words I have used.

So you are ok forcing gay people to make anti gay merchandise?
Original post by Maker
The court is not in agreement with your point, therefore its worthless in this context.

Well, considering how the entire point of this thread is debating whether or not the courts decision was correct, I think it's safe to say not only is my point NOT worthless, but that your point IS worthless. Nice attempt at obfuscating. Would you mind answering the question now?
Original post by Airmed
N.Ireland is the least progressive. The South are actually a lot more progressive than us ones in the North. At least they allow gay marriage now...

The Republic of Ireland bans abortions as well as the North.
Reply 75
So you are ok forcing gay people to make anti gay merchandise?

Only if the law allows it. It would be funny though, I can just imagine loads of bigots arriving at the gay bakery carrying their bibles and ordering cakes with anti gay wording. I love to see that on youtube.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
You obviously have not heard of gay women.

Really dont want to.

They have the superpower of making kids but they choose to be a shtty dude who can only do 1 pull up.
Original post by lele93
No that's called a comparison, if we are talking about cakes and I use bread as an example, I'm not suddenly making it about bread am I ?

Plus you are making assumptions again, not all religious people feel that homosexuality directly conflicts with their beliefs, the bible states many things as an abomination, not just homosexuality, I'm sure they would make a prawn themed cake even though the bible states eating shellfish is an abomination.

I don't know a single Muslim who would wish death upon a gay person, I get your point but it's pretty offensive and is a stereotype.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, I'm a Christian and I find it absolutely hilarious reading some of these posts 😂😂😂
Not being funny but if you're not a Christian, don't quote the bible and don't speak on behalf of Christians because you're totally taking things out of context and misrepresenting the majority of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 78
Original post by al_94
I will this society is messed up for real but don't worry about me focus on yourself

I'm super happy in myself and the society I live in. Thanks for your concerns.

Glad you've come to a decision. Goodbye and have fun in whatever luminous country you end up in. :smile:
Original post by lele93
Did you really just say it was just a concept?? What an idiot, they discriminated because they refused to make a cake for a same sex wedding, it's that simple, a man and a woman can have their cake and eat it, but a gay couple can't.

if you don't like a 'concept' that's your issue you can't discriminate through your business. Replace gay with interracial and tell me it wouldn't be discrimination if a white guy and his Asian girlfriend were refused a wedding cake, but two white people were allowed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a couple that asked for the cake. It's a local gay rights activist who wanted them to bake a 'make gay marriage legal' cake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending