The Student Room Group

Am I underweight?

I am a 17 year old female, I am 5'10 and my current weight is 7.7 stone or 106.5 pounds having recently lost half a stone. I feel and look like crap, i am taking multivitamins and they aren't doing anything and no matter how hard i try i cant gain any weight. What can i do to gain weight if i need to gain any?
Original post by jords998
I am a 17 year old female, I am 5'10 and my current weight is 7.7 stone or 106.5 pounds having recently lost half a stone. I feel and look like crap, i am taking multivitamins and they aren't doing anything and no matter how hard i try i cant gain any weight. What can i do to gain weight if i need to gain any?

Yes you are underweight. The best thing is to see your GP for advice! Don't do anything drastic in the mean time. And by the way you can use this website: http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx To calculate BMI and stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by Xiuchen
Yes you are underweight. The best thing is to see your GP for advice! Don't do anything drastic in the mean time. And by the way you can use this website: http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx To calculate BMI and stuff.

I was just at the doctors this morning to get results from a blood test, my family thought i had a vitamin B12 deficiency and the doctor never said i looked underweight. Crappy doctor I guess.
Go to McDonalds with a tenner and knock yourself out.
I was just at the doctors this morning to get results from a blood test, my family thought i had a vitamin B12 deficiency and the doctor never said i looked underweight. Crappy doctor I guess.

Thats awful, so many bad doctors in NHS :frown: its not about looking underweight its about the BMI >.< what did your blood test say? It should tell you what is missing from your diet, and from that you can try and be healthier. VItamin B12 deficiency is really serious, if that is the case then your GP really should do something!

Go and see your GP as suggested and they can book you up with a dietician.

You clearly arent eating enough. You are severely underweight. Eat more. If you have a problem wth volume eat more calorie dense food. The dietician cna help with an eating plan.

You need to start weighing and recording how many calories a day you eat. Until you go to a calorie surplus, then you wont gain.

Multi vitamins arent going to help you gain weight.
Reply 6
Original post by Xiuchen
Thats awful, so many bad doctors in NHS :frown: its not about looking underweight its about the BMI >.< what did your blood test say? It should tell you what is missing from your diet, and from that you can try and be healthier. VItamin B12 deficiency is really serious, if that is the case then your GP really should do something!

All of my bloods came back fine apart from a slightly high sodium. Ive just done a bmi calculator and it came out at 15.1.
All of my bloods came back fine apart from a slightly high sodium. Ive just done a bmi calculator and it came out at 15.1.

What is your diet like? You may just have to eat more?

Here is a link to NHS recommendations:
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/teengirls/pages/underweightteengirls.aspx

I'm no expert, but NHS has reliable health information :smile: Good luck
Reply 8
Your BMI is 15. In general the bmi calculator isn't the most accurate but you are way below the healthy number. Plus you're not feeling great so clearly you need more nutrition. Are you eating similar to your family while they are staying healthy or do you eat different? You can definitely start by making sure to eat balanced. If you want to gain weight then you could try some muscle building exercises (make sure to eat more if you do). Also any deficiencies you can definitely help quickly by buying supplements (not multivitamin) for these specific nutrients. You should try and see a different doctor, point out your BMI and how you're feeling unwell on a daily basis.
Reply 9
I should add i am a figure skater, i do 4 and 1/2 hours of excersie a week. I eat 2 meals a day, lunch and tea/dinner, it is a balanced diet eating the same meals as my family or school approved meals.
Reply 10
Original post by Xiuchen
What is your diet like? You may just have to eat more?

Here is a link to NHS recommendations:
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/teengirls/pages/underweightteengirls.aspx
I will take a look, thank you.
I'm no expert, but NHS has reliable health information :smile: Good luck

I will take a look at it, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest