The Student Room Group

Dopey girls...?

I notice that some girls are a lot sharper than others at realizing when a guy fancies them.

The girls who typically wear a lot of makeup and put effort into their clothing tend to realise much quicker than the "down to earth" girls who wear no makeup and don't really put no effort into what they are wearing ...like wearing regular jumper,trainers, jogging bottoms ...etc

I was on a course the other day and there was this downtoearth girl that I fancied, but she was completely oblivious to my existence and I think it was actually a full 2 days before she even glanced in my direction. Eventually I had to work with her and sit next to her ...I still fancied her at this point and was finding it hard to look her in the eye without giving myself away. I'm sure I must of been microfinching at times but she still did not pick up on it at all. A few days later and I pretty much had stopped fancying her.

I then was transferred to another class for half of the next day and there was a pretty girl there with lots of makeup and good clothes. I fancied her too ....and within like an hour I started noticing she was noticing me noticing her. She was definitely aware.

In general I have found this is a common pattern. The girls who have put effort into their appearance will notice a lot faster that a guy fancies them than girls who don't.

why are plain girls so dopey?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just because a girl doesn't pick up the "signs" that someone likes them, it doesn't mean they're dopey. A lot of girls are like that, guys too.
Reply 2
Given what you've observed it seems stupid to suggest that those girls are "dopey". Girls who do not appear to put effort into their appearance perhaps dont think they are pretty enough to be constantly noticed by people who fancy them. Not dopey.
Reply 3
Original post by ions
Given what you've observed it seems stupid to suggest that those girls are "dopey". Girls who do not appear to put effort into their appearance perhaps dont think they are pretty enough to be constantly noticed by people who fancy them. Not dopey.

she was an attractive girl. I'm sure she has a mirror somewhere at home. She should still be aware that guys will fancy her.

The only people who tend to routinely under rate themselves tend to be depressed. She did not seem depressed at all. Infact she seemed quite chirpy when talking with the teacher in class discussions.
Reply 4
Original post by ANM775
she was an attractive girl. I'm sure she has a mirror somewhere at home. She should still be aware that guys will fancy her.

The only people who tend to routinely under rate themselves tend to be depressed. She did not seem depressed at all. Infact she seemed quite chirpy when talking with the teacher in class discussions.

Maybe they don't constantly feel the need to check whether someone is interested in them then.
shes not dopey maybe she did notice but just not interested and the other kind of girls like the attention
The only thing I can think of, and this is complete speculation, is that the girl's who wear a ton of makeup, nice clothes etc are used to being hit on my guys, and therefore have grown accustomed to early signs of interest.
here we go with male entitlement. what if she actually knew but didn't want to encourage it? what if you're not her type? what if she actually has a boyfriend?
The "down to earth" girl who didn't put much effort into her appearance didn't care whether you were interested in her or not.
The girl who put in a lot of effort to make herself look good on the other hand did.

I mean, isn't that already saying enough? Do you need it to be spelt out for you? The first one isn't actively interested in starting something with someone else hence won't be wasting her thinking on picking up signs of interest and has other priorities as expected of a 'down to earth' person. Doesn't make her dopey at all, she just had better stuff to think about than whether some random dude was interested in her or not.

On the other hand the one with make up is obviously very perceptible to attention and has other priorities, I'm sure I don't need to explain this one further.
Reply 9
Original post by ions
Maybe they don't constantly feel the need to check whether someone is interested in them then.

hmmm. Perhaps there is some truth in that.

All I can say though, is that these girls are potentially missing out. Most guys do not like to just point blank ask out a girl ..if they are getting no feedback. Especially in a classroom environment.

Although I do find the downtoearth girls attractive, I usually end up not making a move on them because they are failing to notice. Whilst the girls who are wearing makeup usually notice fast and then I can observe their body language or reactions towards to me to guage weather or not it's worth taking a shot.

Original post by kaylababesxx
shes not dopey maybe she did notice but just not interested and the other kind of girls like the attention

here we go with male entitlement. what if she actually knew but didn't want to encourage it? what if you're not her type? what if she actually has a boyfriend?

After posting on TSR last night I went out to sainsburys and whilst walking back saw lots of girls ready for the night out. I remember passing some glammed up girls [group of 3] and looking them in the eye and one girl immediately averted my gaze by looking upwards, and the other girl just looked somewhat awkward when i started looking at her. This is exactly the kind of feedback a guy needs. It was obvious to me I would be wasting my time if I tried to chat to these girls. Positive or Negative, feedback is USEFUL. Downtoearth girls typically provide little feedback, which results in a guy actually having to waste energy and confidence making the move to find out whether he stands a chance.

I remember walking along, noticing all the girls that night ... and like a machine my brain slotting them into categories, firstly based on what they were wearing/appearance and then their reaction to me [or lack of reaction] when I made eye contact with them. After about 30 minutes of walking around I made eye contact with a girl who was on the phone. Immediately she started smiling at me and started waving. It caught me by surprise but eventually I waved back. She then said "you look really nice!"

this is what I like. Girls who give feedback!, either positive or negative.

Sadly most downtoearth girls do not give this kind of feedback though.......
Reply 10
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
The "down to earth" girl who didn't put much effort into her appearance didn't care whether you were interested in her or not.
The girl who put in a lot of effort to make herself look good on the other hand did.

I mean, isn't that already saying enough? Do you need it to be spelt out for you? The first one isn't actively interested in starting something with someone else hence won't be wasting her thinking on picking up signs of interest and has other priorities as expected of a 'down to earth' person. Doesn't make her dopey at all, she just had better stuff to think about than whether some random dude was interested in her or not.

On the other hand the one with make up is obviously very perceptible to attention and has other priorities, I'm sure I don't need to explain this one further.

how do these downtoearth girls get into relationships then?

The idea that downtoearth girls are not looking for male attention hence they are not putting much effort into their appearance does infact sound plausible, ...but then what happens when they are looking for a relationship? ....many are downtoearth all year round and do not suddenly just start wearing makeup and good clothes when they want a bf.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
hmmm. Perhaps there is some truth in that.

All I can say though, is that these girls are potentially missing out. Most guys do not like to just point blank ask out a girl ..if they are getting no feedback. Especially in a classroom environment.

Although I do find the downtoearth girls attractive, I usually end up not making a move on them because they are failing to notice. Whilst the girls who are wearing makeup usually notice fast and then I can observe their body language or reactions towards to me to guage weather or not it's worth taking a shot.

After posting on TSR last night I went out to sainsburys and whilst walking back saw lots of girls ready for the night out. I remember passing some glammed up girls [group of 3] and looking them in the eye and one girl immediately averted my gaze by looking upwards, and the other girl just looked somewhat awkward when i started looking at her. This is exactly the kind of feedback a guy needs. It was obvious to me I would be wasting my time if I tried to chat to these girls. Positive or Negative, feedback is USEFUL. Downtoearth girls typically provide little feedback, which results in a guy actually having to waste energy and confidence making the move to find out whether he stands a chance.

I remember walking along, noticing all the girls that night ... and like a machine my brain slotting them into categories, firstly based on what they were wearing/appearance and then their reaction to me [or lack of reaction] when I made eye contact with them. After about 30 minutes of walking around I made eye contact with a girl who was on the phone. Immediately she started smiling at me and started waving. It caught me by surprise but eventually I waved back. She then said "you look really nice!"

this is what I like. Girls who give feedback!, either positive or negative.

Sadly most downtoearth girls do not give this kind of feedback though.......

Dude, if you wish to waste time and energy investing in girls, that's your choice. Girls have absolutely no responsibility to you to give you feedback whatsoever. None. In the same way that these downtoearth girls are not interested in you because they probably have more pertinent things on your mind, you could be spending your time focusing your energy into learning a new subject. I'd forget about girls because if you're going to view them the way you do, you don't even deserve friends or human contact. Sorry, but when you say you categorise people instantly, you just sound like you've read too many 'gaming' articles and if you don't see the fundamentals flaws in them, there is no hope for you mate.
to call them dopey is a little unfair and self-centred i mean you're kinda suggesting that they're intellectually deficit just because they're not providing you with 'feedback'. You never know, maybe she realised it straight away and just completely dismissed the idea of it.

Her not reacting in any way is a reaction and 'feedback' within itself.

On behalf of these 'dopey' girls for not responding to your charm, I beg for your forgiveness. It's really not fair that instead of concentrating in class, or just generally getting on with their lives, they don't provide you with any 'feedback' which only leaves you with the tough decision of whether you should 'waste' your energy or not. I'm sure they don't intentionally make your life so difficult- do have mercy.
Original post by ANM775

Even if this girl is depressed, the chances are you wouldn't notice. Depressed people are very good at hiding what's really going on with them - sometimes they over act to distract from their true feelings. As for the not-noticing thing, as a female myself, we can be very self contious and if we have had past relationships that have caused us to feel even more not-worth-the-attention then (even if we do notice guys looking) we are likely to ignore it.

Moral of the experience, don't judge to girl as "dopey" before you understand what may be going on with her. On the other hand, maybe she just wasn't interested because she was already involved with someone. Idk, from a female persepctive (without sounding like I am having a go at you, promise I'm not btw) maybe this girl isn't looking for anything from guys, maybe she's having a break from the dating-thing. I don't want to sound like im a b**ch but in my school the gils who wear the tons of make-up are the one who are interested in the attention and thats why they're putting themselves out there and trying to look apealing, whereas, the girls without all the make up and stuff are the ones who don't feel like they need all that to define them - they like temselves the way they are and they dont feel like they need to appeal to other people to make themselves happy. I really don't know. I have probably worded this all wrong, but please dont assume that the "plain" gilrs are dopey just because they havent put in "as much effort". All girls notice... plain or with all the make-up. They notice.

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ANM775

Being depressed doesn't mean you are miserable all the time :lol:

This is ridiculous anyway, she probably wasn't interested, doesn't mean she is dopey.
The ones who dress a lot with makeup are usually the thirsty ones who are always on alert for something like that.
However, the way someone dresses doesn't determine their personality. The down to earth girl may not give a ****
(edited 7 years ago)
LOL, so if a girl doesn't reciprocate your attraction or acknowledge your infatuation, it's because SHE'S DOPEY?????

Have you ever considered that she just wasn't attracted to you? I guess Brad Pitt must only ever encounter genius women if that's your criteria for intelligence.

HOLD THIS L
the way in which you're going about it, your attitude about the whole 'wasting energy' thing its all so wrong.

that to me is a warning signal that you'll just play with her feelings til you decide you dont like her anymore. Dont invite or open any opportunity if you're not willing to be serious about it, because its unfair on the other person (whether you're a girl with an attitude like this or a guy)
Potentially you could have wasted so much of their time when they could have been doing something that will actually stay and work for them in the future: whether thats their studies, spending time with family or someone else.
Reply 18
Original post by Socratesfam
LOL, so if a girl doesn't reciprocate your attraction or acknowledge your infatuation, it's because SHE'S DOPEY?????

Have you ever considered that she just wasn't attracted to you? I guess Brad Pitt must only ever encounter genius women if that's your criteria for intelligence.

HOLD THIS L

Perhaps the downtoearth girl did notice, perhaps not. But even if she did notice andwas not interested ...I still find it strange how they rarely give any feedback, whereas if they are glammed up and not interested they usually give some negative feedback in their body language.

And re-read my posts carefully. I'm not stupid enough to think all girls are attracted to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
Perhaps the downtoearth girl did notice, perhaps not. But even if she did notice andwas not interested ...I still find it strange how they rarely give any feedback, whereas if they are glammed up and not interested they usually give some negative feedback in their body language.

And re-read my posts carefully. I'm not stupid enough to think all girls are attracted to me.

Why should we give feedback? You're not entitled to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending