The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Anyone know if its possible to switch course at Royal Holloway

I've got an offer for Maths & Economics at Royal Holloway (through Clearing). I mostly want to study economics with a bit of maths, though this course is 75% maths and only 25% economics. Does anyone know if it'll be possible to switch once I've got my foot in the door? Apparently the economics department isn't taking any more clearing, so this course is run by the maths department. Do you think it'll be possible to switch over to something like economics and maths (75% econ) or financial economics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ajbradford
I've got an offer for Maths & Economics at Royal Holloway (through Clearing). I mostly want to study economics with a bit of maths, though this course is 75% maths and only 25% economics. Does anyone know if it'll be possible to switch once I've got my foot in the door? Apparently the economics department isn't taking any more clearing, so this course is run by the maths department. Do you think it'll be possible to switch over to something like economics and maths (75% econ) or financial economics?

HI, i was in th same boat as you (almost). I had an offer for straight economics and i changed to Economics And Maths. You shouldn't have any problems as both courses are run by the Economics department. As long as you have the required grades (and im assuming you do as Maths and economics requires higher grades) you should be ok.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Are you sure its taught by the economics department? (since I got the placement through talking with the maths department). Also, I think its 75% maths so I'd be surprised if it was a part of the economics team.
Reply 3
ajbradford
Are you sure its taught by the economics department? (since I got the placement through talking with the maths department). Also, I think its 75% maths so I'd be surprised if it was a part of the economics team.

I'm 100% sure the home department for Economics and Maths is Economics. It's not 75% Maths, it's 50-50. The maths modules are half units.
you should ring them up and ask, as then you will have all the info, good luck
Reply 5
Unless it's Economics WITH Maths, it's 50%-50% and it's under the Economics department. I don't see it being a big deal since it's already part of your degree, you'd just be taking 2 more modules of it! I'd email the department anonymous-like if you wanted an official call on it, but really, I'm sure lots of people will show up and find out they don't really like their subject and want to change to something totally different. This shouldn't be that hard for you compared to that!
Reply 6
Coral
Unless it's Economics WITH Maths, it's 50%-50% and it's under the Economics department. I don't see it being a big deal since it's already part of your degree, you'd just be taking 2 more modules of it! I'd email the department anonymous-like if you wanted an official call on it, but really, I'm sure lots of people will show up and find out they don't really like their subject and want to change to something totally different. This shouldn't be that hard for you compared to that!

im worried cus i duno if i wanna swtich
i dont wanna be behind.. and have bought books and made friends and that and switch *sigh*
Reply 7
moogle301
im worried cus i duno if i wanna swtich
i dont wanna be behind.. and have bought books and made friends and that and switch *sigh*

Just a touch of perspective, babe: you don't switch for friends or to save money. You switch because you like something more than something else :wink: If you think there is a better degree fit for YOU out there than the one you originally went after, then go for it! You will make tons of friends in sooo many departments when you actually get to RHUL, and you can always sell any books you already bought. But you're kind of stuck with a degree and you're committing to it for at least 3 years. Better make sure it's what you want to be doing! :suith:
Reply 8
Coral
Just a touch of perspective, babe: you don't switch for friends or to save money. You switch because you like something more than something else :wink: If you think there is a better degree fit for YOU out there than the one you originally went after, then go for it! You will make tons of friends in sooo many departments when you actually get to RHUL, and you can always sell any books you already bought. But you're kind of stuck with a degree and you're committing to it for at least 3 years. Better make sure it's what you want to be doing! :suith:

i guess you are right
i dont really have a problem making friends im looking forward to Freshers, but it'll be a lot tougher if everyone already has friendship groups if i switch late.
I guess you are right about the books
I woudl liek t switch as soon as I decide thoguht if you see what I mean, you are right but it'll still be annoying to have to come i late
i guess id kno wppl from bio AND hist lol, know evcen more ppl

your avatar matches your name kinda ^__^
Reply 9
I switched degrees about 3 or 4 weeks into uni...completely different departments but in a way they were related-I switched from classical studies to history, so it wasn't as different as say from a science to an arty subject. I don't see why this would be that much of a problem though.

It is possible, provided there are the spaces available and you can justify the switch. All you have to do is fill out a form stating your A levels, and why you wanna switch courses/or departments.

Just make sure that the course you're doing is what you want to do. Maybe make up a list or talk it over with someone? Look at what the course syllabus entails. For me, I loved the concept of doing classical studies as it was concerned with literature, history and philosophy, but I realised I preferred being able to study a range of differing historical periods hence my switch.

I spent about £100 on books and course materials before I switched courses, but thankfully some of the books I could use for history and the others I sold or have kept as they're interesting reading, so I wouldn't worry about wasting money tbh (provided it isn't a large amount!!) I have made back the money I've lost (I do love my summer job, lol), and for my happiness, £100 isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck with whatever you do though :biggrin: And remember, you can take a course from another department during your second year so you can get a taste of another subject.
Reply 10
Hana_1987
I switched degrees about 3 or 4 weeks into uni...completely different departments but in a way they were related-I switched from classical studies to history, so it wasn't as different as say from a science to an arty subject. I don't see why this would be that much of a problem though.

It is possible, provided there are the spaces available and you can justify the switch. All you have to do is fill out a form stating your A levels, and why you wanna switch courses/or departments.

yeah that kinda scares me, cus i think they'll think. biology to history, that means you didnt like biology enought to apply!
funnily enough, i nearly did classics for a level but swsitched last min to biology! i really wish id done it instead of pointless (imo) ol film AS*bah*, but ah well.

well when u say places... im sure they used up all their clearing ones... so i dunno if theyll be any

but maybe ppl are more liekly to drop out at the ebginning and make some

i think i have good reasons. I mean i wanted to do it for GCSE but was made to take french, when i took AS level i felt behind everyone who took GCSE

stupidly i always forgot glasses (i wa self conscious) tbh i didn't need em much cus i was halfway across the room but the teachers handwriting was SOOO terrible so that made me need em
so I ended up copying stuff the words i could make out and not re-reading it or taking it in

baically i didnt learn anything and my AS E reflected my ability

i was gunna give up and take the easy ol route of sociology which didn not stretch me. then we started an individual study
I loved it, i couldnt quit becaude I wanted to continue. i actalyl would ahve been sad NOT to do the c/w!!!
by this time i had basicaly applied already for biology and didnt know whether i could do well at history but was determined not to acept an E as i always liked history. My ind. study combined medicine and health and history (ended up being hardly any to do with medicine and mostly about gov. reforms but oh well)

so basically, i never had a chance to like hist while i sucked, only now i reaslie I like it (I got a high B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which im proud of

whereas in blodge i felt my efforts werent being reflected in grades and i a) lost faith in it, b) had bad exam and revision exhasution from exams b4 which i dont usually get O__O ut my lackof faith made me get so altho i gave up a bit here, i didnt with history

also, at the same time as doing my hist study i had to pick a Uni (i am extremely indecisive i think i had more troubae than most i know)
also 2 film c/ws and mostly a media project which i did 3/4 of the work of, the other 3 ppl were rubbish

i ended up in tears after my history teacher suggested everyone was under the same time resctictions evn tho most ppl did not have to carry their media group workwise... and i had to, I could not be happy with less than an A in media

SOOOOOO

thats why i reckon i did very well this year to get from my E to a B
whereas I dropped a grade in blodge

however I would at least be doin some media with my blodge if i keep to that, so maybe ill do 2 moduels in that whilst doin hist...

thanks
Reply 11
Which degree are you doing btw?
Reply 12
Hana_1987
Which degree are you doing btw?

me?
well im down to do biology with science communcation
so lie mianly bio
with a bit of science media like makign science progs, what i like is that we mix with ppl from geology and chem etc etc also

but yeah, maybe switch to hist. i think i'll phone em and talk to em today or something O___O
Reply 13
moogle301
me?
well im down to do biology with science communcation
so lie mianly bio
with a bit of science media like makign science progs, what i like is that we mix with ppl from geology and chem etc etc also

but yeah, maybe switch to hist. i think i'll phone em and talk to em today or something O___O

I'm pretty sure History was one of the few courses NOT to go into Clearing so you'll probably have a fight on your hands.
Reply 14
indie_kitten
I'm pretty sure History was one of the few courses NOT to go into Clearing so you'll probably have a fight on your hands.

maybe..
but what about once I'm actually there after a week or so...
so confussled bout what i wanna do
theyre both so different
i was doing media but i switched to english in week 5, and it was a massive battle i had to literally beg the english dept to take me. week 5 isnt too late, i dunno what they were harping on about.

as for having to make new friends etc, dont worry about that. most of my friends at the time didnt take media anyways, im actually closer with the media people now than i was when i took the damned subject.
Reply 16
airline_ticket
i was doing media but i switched to english in week 5, and it was a massive battle i had to literally beg the english dept to take me. week 5 isnt too late, i dunno what they were harping on about.

as for having to make new friends etc, dont worry about that. most of my friends at the time didnt take media anyways, im actually closer with the media people now than i was when i took the damned subject.

thats nice to know
what made u wana switch??
hated media and realised id much rather do english
Reply 18
airline_ticket
hated media and realised id much rather do english

oh i see so is uni level media much different to a level then?
Hey rhul changed my course to German however I would like to now do German and Italian or German and French if my french grade goes up which is likely as there has been a admin error with the coursework and my teachers are currently recitfying the problem . Would this be possible to do when i get there??

Latest

Trending

Trending