The Student Room Group

I HATE sixth form. What are my options?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariam687
i hate it too, deal with it. lol

Is there something wrong with exploring options and looking for better alternatives? lol
Original post by RallySPORT
If you want to do the JLR Apprenticeship, can't blame you, it looks awesome. But you'll need A2 maths for it, and a Level 3 Extended diploma in Engineering as well. Honestly, it sounds like every other sixth form. It may not be fun but, as you said, they want to churn out the best possible grades, and if your grades are good you can get onto an engineering course/do the apprenticeship from there. Stick with it for a bit, ignore the teachers, just focus on your studies and friends. In the long run, it'll be worth sticking with it I reckon. Just my opinion though.

Spoiler

This is true. After thinking about it, I think that the level 3 JLR apprenticeship wouldnt be a smart choice. Maybe a move after 12 would be wise though.
Try your best in AS then contact any other schools/ colleges to enrol in A2? Idk the problems you said don't seem that bad some schools are just really strict with hwk and its for your own good. If your head of year is unapproachable then just approach your tutor instead :smile:
Do you hate being at sixth form every single day or do you find that there are some days where you think "You know what, this isn't actually so bad."?
Very few people actually like sixth form and there are many factors which can make someone dislike being at their sixth form, but it's important to think about whether the pros weigh out the cons or vice versa.
I would say that you shouldn't willingly choose to stay anywhere that makes you feel extremely unhappy because this will make it very difficult for you to succeed in the long run.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Do you hate being at sixth form every single day or do you find that there are some days where you think "You know what, this isn't actually so bad."?
Very few people actually like sixth form and there are many factors which can make someone dislike being at their sixth form, but it's important to think about whether the pros weigh out the cons or vice versa.
I would say that you shouldn't willingly choose to stay anywhere that makes you feel extremely unhappy because this will make it very difficult for you to succeed in the long run.

I definitely dislike every moment i'm there, other than breaktimes. My mood can liteterally switch as soon as i think about going there in the mornings.

However admitedly i have recently had a lot of trouble with my own self-discipline and keeping myself in top form, so I think as i gain more momentum with just sucking it up and going everyday then i think maybe i'll be able to bear it.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Try your best in AS then contact any other schools/ colleges to enrol in A2? Idk the problems you said don't seem that bad some schools are just really strict with hwk and its for your own good. If your head of year is unapproachable then just approach your tutor instead

Thats was just an example of how the teachers there are overly pedantic and penalising. Homework isn't a chore, for me.

The issues that i've outlined are maybe more personal since it's a big change in environment from my previous school.

Even though my previous school was bad in many ways, atleast I knew i could be open with my teachers and be treated as an equal.

Here though they love to mention the fact that we're now 'adults' (which we're not lol), and emphasize the fact that we now have greater responsibilities etc. But treat us like children.
I don't understand how this is a 'reality check' at all, my issue really isn't with my performance in my subjects, nor is it with my progress in them neither.

It's a non-argument, since it really isn't relevant to my current situation. Tell me why I should adjust myself to accept and appreciate a school environment for the sake of my 'progress' - when my progress isn't an issue.

I don't appreciate when the things i have said have been manipulated in a way to appear as if i'm the issue. I'll take 'Reality Check' seriously once he/she can actually comment on the issue at hand, rather than making one up - and placing the blame onto myself.

He/she clearly missed the entire point of my post.

Also the quotes selected don't really reveal much. I encouraged people to help me gain perspective, but I didn't encourage people to take some of the things i've said in my post out of context and write a half-arsed comment that somehow is supposed to enlighten me as to why i'm out of touch with the reality of things.

Just because you created an account called 'reality check' doesn't mean that your backwards arguments are valid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OnePrettyFlyGuy
So, I got pretty good GCSE grades (9 As, 1 B) and I got into one of the top schools in an upper class area. I enjoy the subjects that I'm doing and A - levels themselves aren't that bad.

However the sixth form that I've gone to is driving me crazy. It's run like a business to try and churn out the best possible grades from students - and it's all they care about. When I went for my interview, there wasn't one! They just looked at my grades and accepted me; what does that tell you?

I hate the timetable (4 one hour periods a day for each subject???), I hate the teaching system (2 alternating teachers for each lesson, so we jump around the different modules), there's no teacher-student relationships, the teaching isn't even an 8/10 (like I was expecting for its high reputation), It takes me an hour to get to, I have to wear a 2 piece suit everyday, I have less freedom than when I was in year 11 at my old school, I disagree with a lot of the teachers because they're all right wing af, and (this is by far the worst thing): the teachers are just watching and waiting for you to make a mistake, so that they can penalize you - rather than discuss with you the situation, try and come to an understanding or even support further progress.

I almost got a detention for being 'highly arrogant' because my teacher said that my maths homework was poorly laid out, so I said "I'm sorry Miss, i'll try to make things more clear next time" - the teacher just started shouting at me telling me that it wasn't good enough (baring in mind I got an A on the homework).

Also the head(s) of year are not approachable at all - one called me annoying because i tried to discuss with her some things I didn't like about the school.

It's a shame because I pretty much like all the other year 12 students there - they're a lot nicer than most people I've ever come across.

Sorry for venting.

Anyway I would apply for college but the ones around me are all full of chavs and I would go back to my old school but there were reasons I didn't want to stay on for the sixth form in the first place. I really think A levels would be most beneficial for my future, but an apprenticeship seems really tempting at the moment - although i'm certain that the one I wished to apply for will not accept students at this time anyway. I just feel like I'm trapped in a corner, and that time is running out. If anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it so much - I just really need to gain some perspective of my own situation.

A levels are worth it and considering you have 9A's and 1B at GCSE does show you have the potential to ace them if you work harder. Just get on with it as its only two years so concentrate on your A levels.
Oh wow I felt this. I’ve moved school for sixth form as my old school was awful but I’m hating my subjects, we can’t leave when we have no lessons. I feel so trapped. I hate my subjects but they’re the only subjects I’m semi good at. My friendship group are so embarrassing and immature, we’re viewed as the weird ones. I want a degree so I have to go uni, and I need a levels to get into uni. HELP
Original post by OnePrettyFlyGuy
So, I got pretty good GCSE grades (9 As, 1 B) and I got into one of the top schools in an upper class area. I enjoy the subjects that I'm doing and A - levels themselves aren't that bad.

However the sixth form that I've gone to is driving me crazy. It's run like a business to try and churn out the best possible grades from students - and it's all they care about. When I went for my interview, there wasn't one! They just looked at my grades and accepted me; what does that tell you?

I hate the timetable (4 one hour periods a day for each subject???), I hate the teaching system (2 alternating teachers for each lesson, so we jump around the different modules), there's no teacher-student relationships, the teaching isn't even an 8/10 (like I was expecting for its high reputation), It takes me an hour to get to, I have to wear a 2 piece suit everyday, I have less freedom than when I was in year 11 at my old school, I disagree with a lot of the teachers because they're all right wing af, and (this is by far the worst thing): the teachers are just watching and waiting for you to make a mistake, so that they can penalize you - rather than discuss with you the situation, try and come to an understanding or even support further progress.

I almost got a detention for being 'highly arrogant' because my teacher said that my maths homework was poorly laid out, so I said "I'm sorry Miss, i'll try to make things more clear next time" - the teacher just started shouting at me telling me that it wasn't good enough (baring in mind I got an A on the homework).

Also the head(s) of year are not approachable at all - one called me annoying because i tried to discuss with her some things I didn't like about the school.

It's a shame because I pretty much like all the other year 12 students there - they're a lot nicer than most people I've ever come across.

Sorry for venting.

Anyway I would apply for college but the ones around me are all full of chavs and I would go back to my old school but there were reasons I didn't want to stay on for the sixth form in the first place. I really think A levels would be most beneficial for my future, but an apprenticeship seems really tempting at the moment - although i'm certain that the one I wished to apply for will not accept students at this time anyway. I just feel like I'm trapped in a corner, and that time is running out. If anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it so much - I just really need to gain some perspective of my own situation.

Drop out and join a strip club like me theirs no point getting educated when you a stripper like me

Quick Reply

Latest