The Student Room Group

HELP! should I apply for foundation medicine?

During the summer, I got some really average GCSE results as I was having some family problems when I was taking my exams. I only got 1 A and the rest of my results were Bs (except a C in maths) . I am now doing A level biology, history and philosophy. I have been working my arse off for the past 8 weeks and I managed to get As in all of my assessments. I'm planning to retake my GCSEs next year so I can get As. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE?
Original post by lou_weed
During the summer, I got some really average GCSE results as I was having some family problems when I was taking my exams. I only got 1 A and the rest of my results were Bs (except a C in maths) . I am now doing A level biology, history and philosophy. I have been working my arse off for the past 8 weeks and I managed to get As in all of my assessments. I'm planning to retake my GCSEs next year so I can get As. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE?

A lot of medicine foundation courses differ, so it depends on the ones you go for:

Manchester: normal grade entry requirements at both GCSE and Alevel but for applicants who did not take the required subjects for medicine such as no chemistry or biology. Your GCSEs are to low.
UEA: rules you out as you got a C in maths and im pretty sure they dont accept resits without extenuating circumstances.
Nottingham: rules you out as you got a C in maths again and states must be taken in a 2 year sitting.
Cardiff: requires normal entry requirements which is in excess of 5A*s at GCSE just not in the correct subjects at A2. lacking chemistry.
Keele: requires 5A grades at GCSE, but only a C in maths, and they state on their website that applying with achieved ALevels may enable waiving of the 5A grades.
Southampton: 5 C grades at GCSE.

I thinks its relevant here to note to all applicants that the aim of the majority of foundation programmes is to allow people with alevels not specific to medicine or slightly lower A2 grades to gain entry to medicine. there are very few spaces.
If you are serious about medicine see if there are any access to medicine unis near you - they aim to get students on low income/low achieving schools/parents who didn't go to uni to apply for uni. This will allow them to differ entry requirements. Make sure you do work experience. You will need at least a B, preferably an A in English lang and maths so maybe retake those. Was the A in one of the sciences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending