The Student Room Group
Some universities have their reading lists on their websites, such as Liverpool. Doesn't Nottingham?
Reply 2
I would think most Universities would send out reading lists once the results are out and they've confirmed who has the places, otherwise it's a lot of wasted paper to send out.

For Birmingham, I had a basic reading list after results, but the full reading list wasn't given out until a couple of weeks into the start of term. Whilst this might seem pants, it's quite good because such books are notoriously expensive, and our Uni held a book fair where you could buy these books second hand from second years. Useful, because it's cheaper and also they can tell you which books they found easiest to understand / most useful etc.

Tim.
Reply 3
I would have thought the same - most would probably get their lists during Fresher's Week.
Reply 4
cheers for that, however i thought that the department would be keen for people to have some knowledge of the books we will be using next year?
Reply 5
Yes and no... they don't want to scare you with a massive list of books that you think you have to buy!! Usually, they will give you a reading list, and then will emphasise the fact that you only need to buy a certain number of them, depending on your own personal preference.

Again, it is better for them to give out the list as "late" as possible (Birmingham didn't give one out until a couple of weeks AFTER Freshers Week!), as it gives the year above a chance to get out their old books and offer them for sale at the classique Book Fair, which means that you'll save quite a bit of money in buying books. I know someone who forked out around £250 on new books, whereas I paid £120 for 12 books - so it pays to wait and see if you can get them second hand, which is why our Uni doesn't give out a reading list early -- not everyone is made of money!

Tim.
n7studios
whereas I paid £120 for 12 books - so it pays to wait and see if you can get them second hand, which is why our Uni doesn't give out a reading list early -- not everyone is made of money!

Out of interest what were these books? Titles and modules?

Just I asked if it was advisable to use a text, cases and materials book with each module I'm taking where appropriate along with a set textbook and was told I'll be better off buying them. At £25+ each the expenses easily accumulate.

Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending