The Student Room Group

Is semantic field a structure or language device?

I'm confused on whether semantic field is a structural or language device.Someone explain please!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by bluepearl7
I'm confused on whether semantic field is a structural or language device.Someone explain please!

Thanks!

Its a language device I think:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by the pro
Its a language device I think:smile:

Thanks!

What about juxtaposition? is it language, structure or both?

Thanks!

its a language level, so is lexis, phonology, discourse,register,grammar and pragmatics :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mariam687
its a language level, so is lexis, phonology, discourse,register,grammar and pragmatics :smile:

That ^

Spoiler

Original post by ak143244
That ^

Spoiler

ahahah :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 6
Thanks!

What about juxtaposition? is it language, structure or both?

I think with juxtaposition you can put it into both categories but I would sway more to structure because language is more like repetition and facts and metaphors.
Reply 7
Juxtaposition is more language I think as structure is more sentence forms and focus shifts.
Original post by the pro
I think with juxtaposition you can put it into both categories but I would sway more to structure because language is more like repetition and facts and metaphors.
language since juxtaposition is between two or more words or phrases that contrast one and other :smile:)
Structure as it is the placement of the contrasting themes or ideas that make the device what it is.
Reply 10
More structure

Thanks!

You are all wrong.
A semantic field is a language device as well as juxtaposition (the contrast between two opposite ideas).
Repetition is a structural technique.
Think of it like this...if you can notice it in another language, for example, German, then it is a structural technique. If you can't notice it in another language it is most likely a language technique. However, there are just a few that don't comply with this rule; most do though.
Reply 12
Original post by InfiniteSkill
You are all wrong.
A semantic field is a language device as well as juxtaposition (the contrast between two opposite ideas).
Repetition is a structural technique.
Think of it like this...if you can notice it in another language, for example, German, then it is a structural technique. If you can't notice it in another language it is most likely a language technique. However, there are just a few that don't comply with this rule; most do though.

can you explain lmao about the german bit
Reply 13
Haup!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending