The Student Room Group

Please help, no ignoring. How can I get into medicine now?

Sorry it is a bit long. I have Asperger's syndrome and Generalised Anxiety disorder. My mom is a Doctor. She is a Paediatric Registrar in a hospital in East London. My dad is a civil engineer with a First in his degree. This is sort of a "last resort" post.

In Year 10 I suffered from am anxiety breakdown. I was put on Fluoxetine (a medicine to battle anxiety). As a result, I ended up with A*BCCCCCD in my GCSEs. I studied AS levels in Economics, Business and Law. I had another breakdown, was put on fluoxetine again and attained EEU. Now I am studying in a school specifically for students with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, like me. I am allowed to study two A2 levels only, in Economics and Law

I was thinking of doing Accounting, but people have recently judged me very harshly about my mom being a doctor. They say that I don't look like the son of a doctor. On many occasions people have stopped bullying me, or bullied me further because my mom is a doctor. I now want to study Medicine.

People with disabilities like me have gone on to study Medicine (one guy with dyslexia is now a surgeon; he studied at Cambridge). My plan is to attain Economics and Law with good grades. In 2017-2018, I will retake 6 GCSEs privately and attain A* in all of them. That way I will have 7 A*(I already got an A* in French). In 2018-2019, I will study Biology, Chemistry and Maths privately (I redid GCSE maths because I wanted to and I got a B; I like maths). However, I will be 20-21 when I start studying Medicine. I can still go to Uni now; via a Foundation Year or do one year A levels in Maths and Physics next year and study Engineering. People's judgements that I don't "look" like the son of a doctor are really making me have an inferiority complex. I sometimes cry over the judgements and have rows with my Mum. What should I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
The best advice I can give you is to have a2 in chemistry and biology instead of physics and math. Do something you love and not because you have to prove something to people you wouldn't see after a long time. Call up all universities to get their feedback. have a back up if you get rejected like Biomedical science or medicine or chemistry, biology. goodluck
Don@t do medicine because of your Mother! I don't mean to be unkind but really that resat Maths grade would need to be an A. If you are crying over things that are said to you by other people then you need to ask are you mentally tough enough to be a doctor? There is a lot of stress involved and unpleasant patients and staff!

My suggestion would be to look at as wide range of jobs and see where you most fit in. It doesn't have top be what your Mum and Dad do and lots of interesting jobs are out there.

What does your Mum say when you tell her you want to be a doctor?
Reply 3
What is it that makes you want to study medicine? How do you feel you will manage with the course and the job alongside your Asperger's and GAD? There are plenty of doctors on the autistic spectrum (diagnosed and undiagnosed) but it is a tough job with a LOT of interacting with other people, so if you struggle with that it may not be the career for you.

What you will need to do eventually is have A-levels in at least Biology and Chemistry, plus ensure you meet the minimum GCSE requirements for wherever you apply, and that they will accept resits if that's the route you go for. You will also need work experience and voluntary work to show that you have explored the career and are committed to it.
I had professional advice on something similar the other day. People with mental health problems are heavily unrepresented in medicine (and other uni coruses). Unis probably would be lenient about grades attained during times of struggle (e.g. existing GCSEs and the EEU). From someone unqualified, my advice would be to sit Chem, Bio and something else (pref Maths) at a later date, and try to get AAA. If you do that, medicine would defieitely be worth a shot.

You have to be very determined and committed to do medicine. If you are, them my advice is to try and work on the personal qualities required to be a Doctor, if they are lacking (e.g. communication, emotional resilience). Also, WEX and long-term volunteering is crucial for success in your application.
Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending