The Student Room Group

Bad AS grades, where to apply?

Ok so I want to study psychology at uni 2008, but I got quite awful AS grades.

I got ABD at AS. I knew they wern't going to be great and I have been studying all summer really hard to make up. the B was off an A by a few marks so I am retaking that so hopefully will get an A. And also obviouly retaking the D hopefully to get a B.

Anyway I have worked so hard and I hope to prove to my teachers how well i could do and hope to get good predicted grades for A2 (hopefully AAB or ABB).

My point is if I get real good predicted grades is it worth applying to Uni's where normal offer is like ABB when I have awful AS grades?

would be great to hear from anyone with experiance of this sort of thing as I am just feeling totaly hopeless right now.
Predicted grades are all that count. When I applied for ucas, I only had to put down my AS subjects and chose pending where the result should be. I had good predicted grades but not so good AS grades and still got into 5/6 uni's (grrr LSE)
Reply 2
Universities will give offers based on predicted grades- often giving people offers which are higher than their predicted grades (my friend was predicted BBB and Strathclyde gave him offer of ABB). Anyhoo, my AS grades were a mini disaster, but my teachers predicted me really good grades, i got offers from all my universities and was able to pull my AS grades up by re-taking a few modules here and there! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I understand you're dissapointed, but an A and a B are by no means "awful grades!"
Reply 4
I got AABD and one of my As was in psychology and I also want to study psychology at uni.

Is this enough to get accepted into places asking for AAB that are highly competitive, I am particularly thiking of exeter and loughborough.

I'd really appreciate anyones opinion :smile:
btw the D was in biology if taht changes anything
Reply 5
i think psychology is in essence applied biology; i think oxbridge ask for a science subject (preferably biology) for their psychology course, so it's quite important. but i'm not too sure about other universities.
I can honestly say my friend got DEEU and got given a offer at Bristol for BBB. she got in as well :smile:. So Do they matter that much?
x
Reply 7
no need to worry, i knw a guy who was predicted CCC and got into newcastle for a course of ABB so even if you dont get amazing predicted grades your personal statement can do the talking, i gt BBCD dis year for AS and teachers prediction for me iss AAB so its nuthin big to worry about. all you hav to do is work hard between sept and xmas so dat you cn prove to your teachers dat you are capable of gettin A's.
Your AS grades are far from awful! If you don't want unis to see them, you can decline them (unless your school/college doesn't cash them in) and just put pending for everything, but even if you declare them, you're not too far off what unis want, so as long as your predictions, personal statement and reference are good, it's definitely still worth applying. Unis realise that plenty of people improve from AS to A2 with resits and they also know that your teachers wouldn't predict you grades they didn't think you could get, so your predictions should be more important than your AS grades.

grace_x: The 4th AS isn't usually that important, so unless the unis you want to apply to ask for a C or above, or want a C or above in biology or a science subject, you should be fine.

Latest