The Student Room Group

Will i get into uni with two A levels at BB?

I dropped history A2 this year and I'm applying for journalism and creative writing through UCAS with just english lit and sociology, opinions on my chances of acceptance?
I'm afraid nobody here can give you a definitive answer, only the university admission tutor/officer can tell you if they will consider you with just two A levels.
Original post by kimcarroll1999
I dropped history A2 this year and I'm applying for journalism and creative writing through UCAS with just english lit and sociology, opinions on my chances of acceptance?

It depends where you are applying. You should consult Heap on university grades (book or website) and you can see the typical offers for your subject. Normally it requires three A levels or the UCAS point requirement is based on three, which puts you at a significant disadvantage with just two.

Look at the book and you can see where 2 A levels might be acceptable. If the institutions are not to your liking, then you will need to find a way of doing additional studies imo. If it was the option of waiting a year and oing to a ood uni or just going to any that would accept two A levels, then I would choose the former.

Some universities will accept 2 A levels plus 2 AS levels to meet entry requirements. They tend to be the former polytechnics and others that do points based offers. Some universities include a foundation year for candidates that don't meet the requirements to start degree study. If you think university is the right choice for you there will be options if you search for them. If they say they accept candidates with your academic record then they mean it and there is every chance of you getting an offer. As mentioned above, if you identify possible options, admissions staff will be happy to advise you on your suitability as a potential candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your replies
I missed out what gdunne said about the option of doing a course with a combined foundation year. This is potentially an ideal solution , but will depend on:

Availability of the courses and their entry requirement. This needs you to research. This is why I suggest looking at Heap on University Grades, then yiu cna get an overbiew of who requires and who iffers what. It may well be that there are not enough courses with foundation being offered and that would push you towards getting a 3rd A level, so you have access to a wider selection fo courses.

Also bear in mind another A level costs about £100 to sit if you teach yourself. Corirses will cost more. A foundation year is an extra year at uni.

The snobs om here wil hate for me to say it, but there were some journalism students who posted on the forum about loving thier course and a high number getting jobs. It was at London Metropolitan which seems to be the punch bag of institutions on here. It is possible for any institution to have good courses.They may accept 2B's.

It's imperative to do the research, so you can make a good decision. Don't always go with the flow that 2 A levels have to limit you or of they do, then consider how you can make them go further.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
I missed out what gdunne said about the option of doing a course with a combined foundation year. This is potentially an ideal solution , but will depend on:

Availability of the courses and their entry requirement. This needs you to research. This is why I suggest looking at Heap on University Grades, then yiu cna get an overbiew of who requires and who iffers what. It may well be that there are not enough courses with foundation being offered and that would push you towards getting a 3rd A level, so you have access to a wider selection fo courses.

Also bear in mind another A level costs about £100 to sit if you teach yourself. Corirses will cost more. A foundation year is an extra year at uni.

The snobs om here wil hate for me to say it, but there were some journalism students who posted on the forum about loving thier course and a high number getting jobs. It was at London Metropolitan which seems to be the punch bag of institutions on here. It is possible for any institution to have good courses.They may accept 2B's.

It's imperative to do the research, so you can make a good decision. Don't always go with the flow that 2 A levels have to limit you or of they do, then consider how you can make them go further.

you have been very helpful! I am actually applying for two different foundation degrees for journalism because I dont mind an extra year- I am predicted 2 Bs and I am also applying for three courses that's aren't foundations but require BB for example I'm applying for University of Arts London with an acceptance of just 80 UCAS- I would stay on another year but it's so tedious in my college. Thanks for your advice
you have been very helpful! I am actually applying for two different foundation degrees for journalism because I dont mind an extra year- I am predicted 2 Bs and I am also applying for three courses that's aren't foundations but require BB for example I'm applying for University of Arts London with an acceptance of just 80 UCAS- I would stay on another year but it's so tedious in my college. Thanks for your advice

Think very carefully about the dont wish to stay on another year. I would say its almost certainly a mistake to go to a Uni with very low accpetance rather than ncreasing your options with the extra qualification.

You need to check out the reputaion and everything you can about the course plus work out how useful employers will find that qualification.

These are things students dont check when at school, but will come to realise are importnat later in life, be it at university or when looking for a job.

Please remember Uni means you will incur debt of c £50,000. You dont buy something for £50,000 without making sure it is what you want and it does what you wish i.e other people recognise it as a useful qualification.

Foundation year might help you, but you are still paying c£6,000 plus living for what you could pay £100 at home. Do your research properly and understand the pros and cons of all options.

ps GDunne pointed out Foundation. I overlooked it. My choice would be the A level as the most cost effective and most door opening solution. Ofc you ahve to get the grade.
Think very carefully about the dont wish to stay on another year. I would say its almost certainly a mistake to go to a Uni with very low accpetance rather than ncreasing your options with the extra qualification.
You need to check out the reputaion and everything you can about the course plus work out how useful employers will find that qualification.

These are things students dont check when at school, but will come to realise are importnat later in life, be it at university or when looking for a job.

Please remember Uni means you will incur debt of c £50,000. You dont buy something for £50,000 without making sure it is what you want and it does what you wish i.e other people recognise it as a useful qualification.

Foundation year might help you, but you are still paying c£6,000 plus living for what you could pay £100 at home. Do your research properly and understand the pros and cons of all options.

ps GDunne pointed out Foundation. I overlooked it. My choice would be the A level as the most cost effective and most door opening solution. Ofc you ahve to get the grade.

What I am applying for is a bachelors degree with the first year being foundation, then immediately entering the next year as first year BA honrs,the total cost comes to approx 40,000. All courses I am applying for are eligible for postgraduate as well 85% approx employment rate- I am also eligible for bursary which is great. I have researched since mid summer many courses- I am just curious on what people's opinions on just 2 A levels are, thanks so much for all your advice
What I am applying for is a bachelors degree with the first year being foundation, then immediately entering the next year as first year BA honrs,the total cost comes to approx 40,000. All courses I am applying for are eligible for postgraduate as well 85% approx employment rate- I am also eligible for bursary which is great. I have researched since mid summer many courses- I am just curious on what people's opinions on just 2 A levels are, thanks so much for all your advice

I was pointing out to you that degrees are expensive, so best do thorough research and weigh everything up. Yours seems to be course fees only, but mine was based on average debt students leave with from a 3 year course. It was actually c£45,000 in the most recent reserach, but by the time you leave it will have risen.

2 A levels give you limted choices. 3 good A levels make all the journalist courses available.

If you can get what you wnant with 2, then stick with that. You might also wish to sign up to jornalistic organisations as a student member and get a mentor. from my recollection they go big on experience. Why not try and contact soem of the journalism students on TSR?
I was pointing out to you that degrees are expensive, so best do thorough research and weigh everything up. Yours seems to be course fees only, but mine was based on average debt students leave with from a 3 year course. It was actually c£45,000 in the most recent reserach, but by the time you leave it will have risen.

2 A levels give you limted choices. 3 good A levels make all the journalist courses available.

If you can get what you wnant with 2, then stick with that. You might also wish to sign up to jornalistic organisations as a student member and get a mentor. from my recollection they go big on experience. Why not try and contact soem of the journalism students on TSR?

I may reconsider doing the extra A level based on your advice, if i change my mind in the next few months. Are you aware of any journalistic organisations that may be helpful ?
If you are applying for a Mickey Mouse course at an ex-poly then yes.
I may reconsider doing the extra A level based on your advice, if i change my mind in the next few months. Are you aware of any journalistic organisations that may be helpful ?

You should look at all options having done the research, then you are repsonsible for your own decisions. If you research as I suggested you cna easily compare where two A levels will get you b three A levels v journalist courses with a foundation year.

Then you make the best choice which suits you. People drift into things and thats not always good, so dont let 2 Alevels limit you or be the only option, whne foundation or three A levels are also available but at the expense of several thousand £ or one year.

You can also search TSR for threads on journalism courses. There are many.

https://www.nuj.org.uk/work/students/

https://www.journalism.co.uk/news/online-communities-for-freelance-journalists/s2/a563200/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by habeas.corpus
If you are applying for a Mickey Mouse course at an ex-poly then yes.

obviously an insult, but made me laugh haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending