The Student Room Group

Drving Theory Test book 2016 or 2017?

Hey guys,
So I want to drive!
So should I start with theory first?

IF soooo... im seeing the 18th revised edition dvsa theory book for car....is this the one i should have to take the theory test in 2017?
or should I wait till next year till a book is out if it is? I Don't EVEN Know!?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
Hey guys,
So I want to drive!
So should I start with theory first?

IF soooo... im seeing the 18th revised edition dvsa theory book for car....is this the one i should have to take the theory test in 2017?
or should I wait till next year till a book is out if it is? I Don't EVEN Know!?!

Forget both, just use TopTests and the free app for a couple of days before your test.
Do your theory ASAP. You can't even book your practical until you've passed your theory, and the practical test often needs to be booked months in advance.
Original post by coldplasma
Do your theory ASAP. You can't even book your practical until you've passed your theory, and the practical test often needs to be booked months in advance.

ok, should I get the 2016 18th revised dsa book? is that fine or hsould I only start learning from 2017 onwards....is there a new book out?

Also, can't I start my driving lessons before doing theory...or would you suggest to do theory first?

I know some people say to get the app but I really prefer books haha
There won't be a significant difference. Just get whichever one of those is cheapest. If they are both similar in price then obviously get the 2017 one.
There won't be a significant difference. Just get whichever one of those is cheapest. If they are both similar in price then obviously get the 2017 one.

oh No what i mean to be asking is that will there be a 2017 one? If there isn't a huge difference then should i just get th 2016 one now then?
oh No what i mean to be asking is that will there be a 2017 one? If there isn't a huge difference then should i just get th 2016 one now then?

I don't know if there will, but it won't have changed much. Just get the 2016 one and start studying.
I don't know if there will, but it won't have changed much. Just get the 2016 one and start studying.

ok, Am i right in assuming you drive already?
If so, do you know how long it would take to learn theory and how long itll take to learn the practical (manual)?

And can I ask why you think doing theory before practical is better?
ok, Am i right in assuming you drive already?
If so, do you know how long it would take to learn theory and how long itll take to learn the practical (manual)?

And can I ask why you think doing theory before practical is better?

I didn't say it was better (but it is), I said you are physically not allowed to take your practical test without first having passed your theory test. You cannot even book your practical without a theory test certificate number.

As for how long, if you really knuckle down and study, you can learn the theory in a week or two. Practical takes much longer and requires hours upon hours of practice.
(edited 7 years ago)
you cant do your practical without taking your theory. Book it asap, and give yourself a week to revise for it, there's an official dvsa theory test app for £4.99, no need for books. I started driving lessons ages ago but only did my theory now which wasnt a good idea, when i was driving i didn;t know what a lot of the signs meant :/ good luck! :smile:
Original post by bubblegumcat
you cant do your practical without taking your theory. Book it asap, and give yourself a week to revise for it, there's an official dvsa theory test app for £4.99, no need for books. I started driving lessons ages ago but only did my theory now which wasnt a good idea, when i was driving i didn;t know what a lot of the signs meant :/ good luck! :smile:

ok, so the edition doesnt matter right?
oh really? well then I better to do that then thanks
do you know how much lesson for manual cost?
Upwards of £20-25 an hour depending on the instructor.
I've started learning but haven't done my theory yet, it's in a couple of weeks now. I would say if you're confident and want to get driving as soon as possible, then just do your theory test as soon as you can. I'm learning to drive pretty slowly since I'm nervous so that's why I decided not to book my theory test until I was a few lessons in and certain that I was going to keep at it.
I started driving 2 years ago and then stopped after 6 lessons, so I'm really glad I didn't do my theory test then, because I wouldn't have passed my practical within those 2 years. I started learning again last month and I'm certain that I won't be stopping or giving up any time soon, and that I should be doing a test within a year at least, so that's why I'm doing my theory next month now and why I didn't do it before starting lessons.
I didn't say it was better (but it is), I said you are physically not allowed to take your practical test without first having passed your theory test. You cannot even book your practical without a theory test certificate number.

As for how long, if you really knuckle down and study, you can learn the theory in a week or two. Practical takes much longer and requires hours upon hours of practice.

oh I see sorry! ok ok ya i read that just now on the government website thanks.
I saw a driving instructor but they sed block booking was 20 hours for 540 pounds or else 28 ponds per hour.

I was going to the 20 hours class block booking as they do 2 hours per class...but then I dont know how many hours it will take me to get driving standard....esp u say to practice its a lot
Upwards of £20-25 an hour depending on the instructor.

what do you mean by instructor?

The one i saw was 26 pounds block booking and 28 pounds per hour
I thought that was kinda expensive ya know
Original post by Petulia
I've started learning but haven't done my theory yet, it's in a couple of weeks now. I would say if you're confident and want to get driving as soon as possible, then just do your theory test as soon as you can. I'm learning to drive pretty slowly since I'm nervous so that's why I decided not to book my theory test until I was a few lessons in and certain that I was going to keep at it.
I started driving 2 years ago and then stopped after 6 lessons, so I'm really glad I didn't do my theory test then, because I wouldn't have passed my practical within those 2 years. I started learning again last month and I'm certain that I won't be stopping or giving up any time soon, and that I should be doing a test within a year at least, so that's why I'm doing my theory next month now and why I didn't do it before starting lessons.

I am not confident at all ha but i just want to get it out of the way if you know what i mean..my whole family is telling me to do it and I rather just get it done.

How much are your lessons btw?
And how many lessons have you done so far as well as how many hours do you think is good for test standard?
I am not confident at all ha but i just want to get it out of the way if you know what i mean..my whole family is telling me to do it and I rather just get it done.

How much are your lessons btw?
And how many lessons have you done so far as well as how many hours do you think is good for test standard?

Well if you're like me: don't know a thing about cars, terrible at multitasking, become panicked or stressed easily, and just a bit of a slow learner in general, then this could take you some time....
I'm 14 hours in now, learning at a pace much slower than other people I know. I didn't even get into a main road until last week, whereas other people will pick things up much faster and be on main roads even by their second lesson.

If you are a nervous person or a bit shy with new people, then make sure you fully research all of the instructors around in your area before choosing one. I had a terrible instructor 2 years ago and gave up because of him, I didn't like the pressure he put me under. This year I must have spent a full month just going through instructors websites and saving their numbers and looking at their WhatsApp photos to see if they look friendly. People told me I was being crazy and I'll never get anywhere in life with this attitude, but you have to remember that you are the one paying £22+ every single week, and you shouldn't just settle for the first instructor you find. You need to be really comfortable and trusting of your instructor. I'm glad I did some research before choosing mine, because I know people who went through hell learning with instructors who were impatient or even racist. Mine is much calmer than the first one I had, and he knows how to deal with nervous drivers which is why I really trust him and don't feel under as much pressure anymore.
Original post by Petulia
Well if you're like me: don't know a thing about cars, terrible at multitasking, become panicked or stressed easily, and just a bit of a slow learner in general, then this could take you some time....
I'm 14 hours in now, learning at a pace much slower than other people I know. I didn't even get into a main road until last week, whereas other people will pick things up much faster and be on main roads even by their second lesson.

If you are a nervous person or a bit shy with new people, then make sure you fully research all of the instructors around in your area before choosing one. I had a terrible instructor 2 years ago and gave up because of him, I didn't like the pressure he put me under. This year I must have spent a full month just going through instructors websites and saving their numbers and looking at their WhatsApp photos to see if they look friendly. People told me I was being crazy and I'll never get anywhere in life with this attitude, but you have to remember that you are the one paying £22+ every single week, and you shouldn't just settle for the first instructor you find. You need to be really comfortable and trusting of your instructor. I'm glad I did some research before choosing mine, because I know people who went through hell learning with instructors who were impatient or even racist. Mine is much calmer than the first one I had, and he knows how to deal with nervous drivers which is why I really trust him and don't feel under as much pressure anymore.

oh myy this is me exactly i believe!

oh really?
You know that is actually a good idea and I also checked the reviews like you said. On yell.come there were really good reviews such as they were patient and people were taught properly. Th eonly problem I have is how expensive it is!

iT IS CRAZY!!

Yh so true...how much are your lessons per hour?
oh myy this is me exactly i believe!

oh really?
You know that is actually a good idea and I also checked the reviews like you said. On yell.come there were really good reviews such as they were patient and people were taught properly. Th eonly problem I have is how expensive it is!

iT IS CRAZY!!

Yh so true...how much are your lessons per hour?

If you have friends in your area who are learning then ask them for recommendations and if their instructors are nice. I would have done this but all of my friends from uni and college lived in other parts of london, and you need the instructor to be from your area because they'll know what your test centre is like. I pay £22 per lesson, it's impossible to find anyone for £20 nowadays. I wouldn't recommend block bookings and paying upfront like "10 lessons for £99" because it means you're stuck with that instructor and can't change. I think you should be able to find an instructor for £22, I personally wouldn't go higher than £25 though. Some of the more prestigious ones try to charge up to £30 even, and they have good reviews and might be more organised but it's really not worth it.
Original post by Petulia
If you have friends in your area who are learning then ask them for recommendations and if their instructors are nice. I would have done this but all of my friends from uni and college lived in other parts of london, and you need the instructor to be from your area because they'll know what your test centre is like. I pay £22 per lesson, it's impossible to find anyone for £20 nowadays. I wouldn't recommend block bookings and paying upfront like "10 lessons for £99" because it means you're stuck with that instructor and can't change. I think you should be able to find an instructor for £22, I personally wouldn't go higher than £25 though. Some of the more prestigious ones try to charge up to £30 even, and they have good reviews and might be more organised but it's really not worth it.

I do have a friend who is learning to drive however she has had quite a lot of lessons and hasnt done her theory so im a little put off in asking her.

Iknow but it really is tempting when you see all those good reviews..not a single bad one..i dont get why its 26/27 pounds though...

Can't you do upfront paying for one lesson and then if you like it do block booking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending